Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #1
ny27la

Drives: 2012 Black LT
Need your help on this one..

So my car was serviced for a couple of things and one was for the paint fading of the car and the car is brand new. So I contacted GM customer support and they made a case and all. The dealer just gave my car back and the basically repainted the faded parts of the car. GM calls me today to see wat happened and I told them and the guy said on the phone.."if you still want we will re-purchase the car form you or if you are happy with the fix we will compensate you with what ever is on your mind for your troubles with your new vehicle." Obviously I can't ask for something extreme haha

Now I am happy with the repairs but I am not sure with which route to take!? many people I know (most non-camaro owners) said get rid of that POS and angered me! I want to know what my fellow camaro owners would do?
ny27la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
If its fixed....and you can't tell that anything was done.....which is what I would expect....I'd say your good to go and go on your happy way and enjoy your car.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
GTUPONIT

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue & 2017 SS White
If you are happy, keep the car. Just make sure the issue is well documented and keep and eye on the workmanship. If it fails prematurely, let them know that you want it done right.

As far as documentation, try to get it in writing that the vehicle was repaired by the dealer and that it was a factory defect. Down the road if you try to trade it in and there is a blemish, you can show that it is no fault or neglect of your own. Been there, done that.
GTUPONIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Honestly, if you have not done mods to your car, I would return it. And then buy a new one. I assume that the faded paint on your car is a one in a thousand case. Over 3 years on my car and my paint is still not fading or anything like that.

Repaint will never hold up as well as the factory paint, unless the whole car is repainted.

Imo, return and get a new one.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:08 PM   #5
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
If its fixed....and you can't tell that anything was done.....which is what I would expect....I'd say your good to go and go on your happy way and enjoy your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTUPONIT View Post
If you are happy, keep the car. Just make sure the issue is well documented and keep and eye on the workmanship. If it fails prematurely, let them know that you want it done right.

As far as documentation, try to get it in writing that the vehicle was repaired by the dealer and that it was a factory defect. Down the road if you try to trade it in and there is a blemish, you can show that it is no fault or neglect of your own. Been there, done that.
I agree with these statements, but I'll also suggest that you ask the dealer if the paint and workmanship they performed will be covered 100% while your car is still within the 3/36k warranty. Sometimes their body shop warranties run only for a year.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
TJR1952

Drives: 2013 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny27la View Post
So my car was serviced for a couple of things and one was for the paint fading of the car and the car is brand new. So I contacted GM customer support and they made a case and all. The dealer just gave my car back and the basically repainted the faded parts of the car. GM calls me today to see wat happened and I told them and the guy said on the phone.."if you still want we will re-purchase the car form you or if you are happy with the fix we will compensate you with what ever is on your mind for your troubles with your new vehicle." Obviously I can't ask for something extreme haha

Now I am happy with the repairs but I am not sure with which route to take!? many people I know (most non-camaro owners) said get rid of that POS and angered me! I want to know what my fellow camaro owners would do?
The answer is very simple. If you have any regrets about buying this car , like i wish i got another color , equiped differently , newer year etc..etc. Then this is your lucky day and you need to go for it.
Now if you have no regrets and are happy with repair , then a simple "No thank you , i'll stay with my car"
TJR1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
two_wheel_mayhem
Would rather be riding

Drives: No car no more
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post

Repaint will never hold up as well as the factory paint, unless the whole car is repainted.

You are wrong, my 2010 had ZERO rocks chips on the front because it was manually repainted with top of the line clear and additives and the proper paint thickness. what's it have to do with the whole car being repainted....substandard work is substandard work whether it's a whole car or a door handle.

For the most part though, and I deal with a lot of paint, repaint usually doesn't hold up as well because they are being cheap, or they go by what most painters do, lay it on thick and buff the crap/dirt out of it.

To the OP, nevermind the car warranty period, ask the body shop how long their warranty is. Most competitive shops offer a lifetime warranty on their work.