Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 09-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
1Slow6.2

Drives: 2013 1LE camaro
Petrol and emissions

I'm currently stationed in California.. Blah.. My car is registered and plated in okc.. I am not required to register/get smogged here in cali..I will be moving to Texas (Abilene) to be exact.. I was wondering if there are any petrol stations in Abilene that sell 93 octane.. And would I be required to get the safety sticker/smogged once I get there, since I'm plated and registered in okc. Thanks in advance.

If you're reading this objects In side view mirrors are losing as I'm rowing the 3:91's
1Slow6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
Petrol? Oh blast!!!
Old 09-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
busaboy

Drives: Black RS/SS M6
I've never had problems getting 93 octane in TX.

If your transferring under military orders I thought you had to meet your home states regulations.

Some counties require smog some don't. After a quick internet search it looks like you will have a smog check to get TX registration. Your first stop to get legal here will be a stop for safety/emissions with a green sheet. Then off to get your TX registration. You must have a green sheet before registration.
busaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #4
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingSpeed View Post
Petrol? Oh blast!!!
Stewie Griffin....Is that you?
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:47 AM   #5
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Welcome to Texas!!

Here's a excerpt I got directly from the Texas DMV website:
"If you're from outside Texas and you're stationed here on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces, you do not need to register your vehicle in Texas. On the other hand, you may need to maintain your vehicle's registration in your home state while you're here."

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/military-drivers/

And just FYI, Abilene (located in Jones and Taylor counties) does not require smog testing as part of their inspection process. Only the counties on the following graphic require some sort of emissions testing.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:42 AM   #6
1Slow6.2

Drives: 2013 1LE camaro
Thank you gentlemen! I was not planning on getting registered in tx. I rather keep my okc plates. Now the real question is where is the Camaro clubs at? Especially in my area?

If you're reading this objects In side view mirrors are losing as I'm rowing the 3:91's
1Slow6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:01 AM   #7
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Slow6.2 View Post
Thank you gentlemen! I was not planning on getting registered in tx. I rather keep my okc plates. Now the real question is where is the Camaro clubs at? Especially in my area?

Yes, keep your OK plates and you won't have to deal with installing a front plate.

If I remember correctly, the few guys from the Abilene area meet up with the LoneStar Camaro club out in the Dallas/ Ft Worth area (about 2-2.5 hours east of Abilene).
Old 09-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by busaboy View Post
I've never had problems getting 93 octane in TX.

If your transferring under military orders I thought you had to meet your home states regulations.

Some counties require smog some don't. After a quick internet search it looks like you will have a smog check to get TX registration. Your first stop to get legal here will be a stop for safety/emissions with a green sheet. Then off to get your TX registration. You must have a green sheet before registration.
Now days in the military you can just pick your home state. As long as the Op is active duty he can keep the OK plates and since Texas is combining state inspection with registration sticker he shouldn't need to be inspected either. I had AZ plates while stationed in Abilene and at some point after moving to Louisiana the Air Force bases started requiring state inspection even with out of state plates. Pretty sure that one didn't last and definitely won't in TX