Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-01-2016, 02:27 PM   #71
GetYouOne

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS
Love the way it spools. What BOV do u have?
GetYouOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #72
robbiegordon
Robert

Drives: 2011 Summit White SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetYouOne View Post
Love the way it spools. What BOV do u have?
Its the turbonetics 35mm but it has the gt-k horn/vents to atmosphere since the intake is custom and doesn't have a return port. .. which personally I prefer
robbiegordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #73
Sales @ CAI Inc

Drives: 2010 SS/RS Supercharged 427 Build
Great job! Looks to have come together nice. Congrats!
Sales @ CAI Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #74
robbiegordon
Robert

Well... drove fine all weekend .. sat for a couple days ..put resonators in and started it up...now it started smoking again and idling really lean . Checked the oil drain everything looked good . Pulled the maf sensor had a little oil residue on it so i cleaned it with maf cleaner ..What do you guys think ? Should I rebuild the turbo ?

Last edited by robbiegordon; 02-03-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 09:07 PM   #75
robbiegordon
Robert

I should also mention my melling oil pump pushes about 40-45 psi till the oil warms up and settles to about 30-35 psi .. maybe that was too much ?
Old 02-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #76
SeaCompiler
...not a marine biologist

Drives: 2012 Camaro RY SS LS3
Running 10w30 with some Lucas zinc additive and mine starts around 58 and settles at 35 when warm and hovers around 55 when cruising. I just bought a turbo kit from another vendor which will be installed first of March and I was told if the turbo smokes a little (but on decel I think), to install a restrictor. Whatever that is, haven't researched it yet, but I can guess it either reduces the pressure or the flow to the turbo. Perhaps you need one?

If you have oil in the MAF, do you have a catch can setup properly? Not familiar with the Turbonetics kit.
Forged 416 stroker Turbocharged with Huron Speed with Cam Motion custom grind,Tuned by Vengeance, 8psi, 25% PowerBond UDP, Ported TB, shaved heads, LS9 gaskets, chromoly pushrods, BT trunnions & dual valve springs, IWIS, Might Mouse CC, SJM Line Lock,, MSD 2-Step, ZL1 Rear End, ZL1 spoiler, Strut Brace, ARP bolts, Skip shift elim, A-Pillar Gauges, FR Style 41 20X10, 3 inch exhaust, blackouts, Lowered, Custom badges, Hines vents,RPI fender vents, Technostalgia Tail Lights, Metra Kit, Pioneer stereo, Morimoto RGB Halos,
"The Great Awakening" on gab.com
SeaCompiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:29 PM   #77
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
As for a restrictor I would contact the turbo manufacturer directly and ask them. Any chance the return line is kinked/restricted or not at the correct slope down to drain properly?
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 04:40 AM   #78
robbiegordon
Robert

I'm gunna pull the drain line today just to be sure.but there are definitely no kinks or anything it's a straight shot from the turbo to the pan. Maybe a restriction inside but I can't imagine what . The line is brand new . Maybe 50 miles on it. But I'm gunna check it . I don't know what it does while driving since I didn't even bother trying. It was smoking pretty good just at idle. I don't have a catch can in place at the moment . I have one ordered but on back order. Currently I have the pcv set up as the turbonetics instruction says to .. pretty much stock pcv routing with a check valve to prevent boost psi from entering the crank case .maybe I'll pull the drain line and hold it over a bucket and run it for a few seconds to see If there is anything restricting it. I actually have an rx catch can sitting around but I don't know how to run it since it wasn't originally intended for boost . I think I'd have to run some external check valves but never got into it

Last edited by robbiegordon; 02-04-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:00 AM   #79
LeJ

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS
robbie, best time for me with cam only was 12.6 118, definitely a struggle on street tires; i'm going with a eforce for the low rpm torque will let you know how it runs
LeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:19 AM   #80
fif_gen_powa

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Turbo
Take some pics of the drain line. It should have a continous down word slope all the way to the pan. Make sure it doesn't have a "belly" where oil can get trapped and no section of it levels off or goes up. Think of water down a slide. \
fif_gen_powa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #81
robbiegordon
Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fif_gen_powa View Post
Take some pics of the drain line. It should have a continous down word slope all the way to the pan. Make sure it doesn't have a "belly" where oil can get trapped and no section of it levels off or goes up. Think of water down a slide. \
Thanks for the tip, I'll take a picture later today but it is almost straight vertical shot to the pan. Slight curve but no dips
Old 02-04-2016, 02:59 PM   #82
robbiegordon
Robert

Dunno if this show it very well buy the line is vertical all the way to the pan.. no dips or kinks... im going to check the lower conception to make sure it's not pinched
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #83
robbiegordon
Robert

Well I pulled the drain hose off and replaced it with spare hose I had left over .. ran it disconnected just to make sure it was flowing. Hooked it all up and it's still smoking at idle .. granted I know there is probably residue but it is stI'll idling very lean I drove it around the block slowly and it ran lean as well. Couldn't get the afr past 14.5 and I didn't push it into boost.. I reflashed the ecu and reloaded the the tune just in case ... it seemed like it wasn't leaning out with the drain line disconnected but I didn't let it run for more than 30 seconds so idon't know... there wasn't a ton of smoke or anything actually but I am concerned about the afr it's idling at 15.5-17 and cruising at low rpm it was anywhere between 14.5-15.5 . When before it would idle at 14.5 and cruise at around 13.0 maybe I'm being over cautious. I dont know if it will go straight to 10-11.5 at wot like it always has.. but I didn't want to test it just yet

Last edited by robbiegordon; 02-04-2016 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #84
robbiegordon
Robert

Well I'm thinking now a rebuild is inevitable.. I'll keep ya posted