Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-23-2015, 01:59 PM   #1
Rbrodeur
Banned

Drives: 2014 2LT
2014 2LT Gas Mileage/Trans Question

Okay so about 2 months ago I purchased my first Camaro, a 2014 Ashen Grey 2LT. First of let me say I have had no issues and I absolutely love this car. I have been conservatively driving this car because I do live in MA. and its obviously snowy/icy more often than not in these winter months. I have put about 2k Miles on her in these 2 months. I have only been driving in D( automatic) and just today I found out about S mode( M without touching the paddles) My question is what exactly does this mode do. I have researched it and according to what I have read S mode will be slightly more responsive and will automatically change gears but at a higher rpm. I currently average 15.9 MPG on my v6 witch seems pretty bad(Still love the car). My main questions are
#1 What exactly does S mode drive like compared to D?
#2 Will S mode change my average MPG if I continue to drive aggressively as i do now?
#3 Am i doing something wrong because I feel like my v6 on D should get better MPG than 15.9, again im not complaining, I can afford it. Just wondering if theres a explanation?

Thanks alot!
Rbrodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
Splitter
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 RRM 1LT/RS A6
Heya,

Check out this thread.

Good to see another Masshole around.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396363
Splitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
Rbrodeur
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
Heya,

Check out this thread.

Good to see another Masshole around.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=396363
Ya man the snow sucks huh, and Thanks! That clears up one of my questions
Old 02-23-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
Splitter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrodeur View Post
Ya man the snow sucks huh, and Thanks! That clears up one of my questions
I just got some blizzaks wrapped on 17s and they're doing a damn good job getting me from A to B with 0 issues.

As for your other question:

Around town, I average quite low as well. One gas-fillup cycle I tried very much so to baby it as much as possible... keeping the RPMS strictly below 2500 at all times around town. This job me much closer to the city MPG rating.

But who wants to drive like that? Not this guy

On the highway I've found it to be spot on MPG wise. If not better when hypermiling.

Its all about how heavy that foot is There's a little dead spot below 2500-3000 RPMS so you may be giving it more gas to compensate for it, thus reducing MPG also).

Good luck out there.
Old 02-23-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Only 15mpg....

Something is off...

I was getting min 22-24mpg when I had my V6 2LT and I drive the piss out of it.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:38 PM   #6
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Gas mileage this time of year is tough, as I tend to warmup the car a lot and the fuel additives for winter cut back a little on the effectiveness of the gas itself. 16MPG is definitely on the low side, but could be accurate if you drive spirited. I find highway is where the V6 earns it merits as a daily driver.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:46 PM   #7
Splitter
Account Suspended

I believe your average MPG goes down even when you're not actually going anywhere. So when the computer does its calculations, you going 0 MPG (idling, in park, etc) while using x amount of gas to the computer is 0.00 MPG, and it throws that calculation into the average.

Reset your MPG. Do some driving around town, no prolonged idling, and report back your findings.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:08 PM   #8
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter View Post
I believe your average MPG goes down even when you're not actually going anywhere. So when the computer does its calculations, you going 0 MPG (idling, in park, etc) while using x amount of gas to the computer is 0.00 MPG, and it throws that calculation into the average.
And to add insult to injury, the car tends to run a little 'faster' when first started and cold. Mine will idle at 1100 for more than 5 minutes on a cold morning before going to normal idle RPMs.

You're 100% correct about idling causing a dip in MPG. Same as sitting in traffic.

Last edited by stoopid; 02-24-2015 at 10:10 AM. Reason: fixed rmps
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
Chevycamarors@19

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro RS black
Wow 15.9 is pretty low, now I know no one buys a camaro for mpgs but thts a number id expect from someone with the v8. When I first got my 2lt I got similar mileage but after 10,000 miles or so the mpgs went up to 19 almost 20 and now tht my car has almost 24,000 miles its still at tht mark but I do have fun when I can with the car so no complaints.
Chevycamarors@19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #10
sstephen17

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS BRM
I think it's important to factor your average speed in relation to your MPG. I typically take the train to work, so I have primarily street driving where I average less than 27 MPH, with a MPG of 19-21. On weeks where I drive more often (primarily highway miles), I average about 35-40 MPH with about 22-24 MPG. In my experience with my 2014 2LT, there is a large gap in my MPG with stop and go driving vs highway driving. Much more so than any vehicle I've owned before.
sstephen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:21 AM   #11
Rbrodeur
Banned

Ya it must be my driving and the winter/the fact that its a brand new car. Ill reset it and let you guys know, also maybe me remote starting it in the cold mornings is factoring into the average?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 AM   #12
Chevycamarors@19

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro RS black
Quote:
Ya it must be my driving and the winter/the fact that its a brand new car. Ill reset it and let you guys know, also maybe me remote starting it in the cold mornings is factoring into the average?
The remote start is definately factoring in, but I think its worth using a little extra gas to have a warm car once u get in and giving your engine a chance to warm up.
Chevycamarors@19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:45 AM   #13
Splitter
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevycamarors@19 View Post
The remote start is definately factoring in, but I think its worth using a little extra gas to have a warm car once u get in and giving your engine a chance to warm up.
Yes it is. But only for a couple minutes.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:30 AM   #14
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Okay so about 2 months ago I purchased my first Camaro, a 2014 Ashen Grey 2LT. First of let me say I have had no issues and I absolutely love this car. I have been conservatively driving this car because I do live in MA. and its obviously snowy/icy more often than not in these winter months. I have put about 2k Miles on her in these 2 months. I have only been driving in D( automatic) and just today I found out about S mode( M without touching the paddles) My question is what exactly does this mode do. I have researched it and according to what I have read S mode will be slightly more responsive and will automatically change gears but at a higher rpm. I currently average 15.9 MPG on my v6 witch seems pretty bad(Still love the car). My main questions are
#1 What exactly does S mode drive like compared to D?
#2 Will S mode change my average MPG if I continue to drive aggressively as i do now?
#3 Am i doing something wrong because I feel like my v6 on D should get better MPG than 15.9, again im not complaining, I can afford it. Just wondering if theres a explanation?

Thanks alot!
#1 "Sport" Mode raises the lower gear shift points, holding longer under initial acceleration. (RPMs will show higher in the lower gears)

#2 Of course it will, because of the higher RPMs. Note: You said initially that "[You] have been conservatively driving". In question #2 you say, "...if I continue to drive aggressively as i do now." So, which is it?

#3 Well, if you do in fact "drive conservatively", 15.9 is definitely well on the low side. But, if you really do "drive aggressively" 15.9 is not surprising - especially in the winter with significant periods of inefficient traction.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2lt, mileage, mpg, smode