Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #15
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Yeah - what they said...
Old 05-08-2011, 05:35 PM   #16
RJNavarrete
kingjeezy™

Drives: 2011 SS/RS in Cyber Grey
I don't know how bad some of your driving skills are or how bald your tires are, but my car doesn't spin wildly out of control like yours do. I've read several horror stories on this forum, and to me it seems like people tend to exaggerate and embellish their stories... either that or they drive like idiots. It's a 426 HP car (SS); drive it responsibly.

Also, I've driven with all assists off, and have never felt like I was in danger or overwhelmed. I owned a 350Z a couple years back, so I know what a RWD car with some power can do, but it clearly wasn't on the level of my SS. I've never had a "near miss" like many people on this forum, though, so I'm thinking some of you need to take it slow and learn to drive the beast before trying to tame it on the fly.

RJNavarrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #17
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
HA. My Camaro is on order. I'm going from an 89 Buick Century Limited with 160 hp to 312 hp. I wont be driving without assists unless I'm in a big empty parking lot. Lol.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:01 PM   #18
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
So you are admitting to doing something dumb... Why not turnnit off and be smart about it?

Personally I ALWAYS turn everything off and always will regardless if how many people do stupid shit and get mad because the car didn't save them...
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:51 PM   #19
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhaus76 View Post
So you are admitting to doing something dumb... Why not turnnit off and be smart about it?

Personally I ALWAYS turn everything off and always will regardless if how many people do stupid shit and get mad because the car didn't save them...
What happens when your computer goes faulty and cant save you from yourself?
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:52 PM   #20
Hetfield03

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Black/IOM
Responsible driving is paramount.
ZL1 Factory Reproduction Wheels, Airaid CAI, MRT V 2.0 Axle Back Installed by PIE Customs, Painted IOM Rally Stripes, Bowties by Danny Taylor Louisville KY, IOM Engine Cover and Fusebox Cover by River City Creations and Lighting San Antonio TX.
Hetfield03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:54 PM   #21
formare
The Milano

I've been driving performance cars for just over 24 years. Starting with a 67 camaro with a 383 4 speed. I always thought I had a handle on the driving thing. Making the car an extension of the driver has been fairly easy for me. Maybe I'm old and slow, maybe the road had some magic sand on it.

I was not driving responsibly.

Either way I lost control just for a brief few seconds. That has never happened before in 30 years of driving. Well save that one time in the snow in my 76 trans am.

I am not "mad" at the car for not saving me. I am just sharing my experience with those who Could benefit from my stupidity.

What happens when the computer goes out and you can't save yourself? - I still think the computer saves too many people from the Darwin award. I believe people should know how to drive before buying a sports car. I thought I knew how to drive qnd suppose I do know. I did save it in the end. We came to a stop safe and sound. It could have easily ended with a news story.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #22
formare
The Milano

That has always been a fear of mine. We move a lot so the roads are generally unknown to me. least you knew before seeing headlights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
dont feel too bad..... just last night i was makin a left turn under an overpass and ended up turnin into oncomming traffic (was at night an no car was in the lane) only way back to the other side was over the median lol thank goodness was in my truck..... trucks fine... my pride isent
Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #23
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Thank you for your post............

THIS is why I constantly 'harp' at people to stop turning off the traction control and stabilitrak! Yes, there are times when it's appropriate (most of the time, it should be turned off only on a road course or a track......)

You are proof that people can have years of experience and a safe driving record...........and then something completely unexpected happens.....

Luckily for you and your Camaro and the driving public, no one was hurt.....but unfortunately that's not always the case.

Take it from someone who has been driving for 40+ years and has gone thru more than a dozen hi-performance driving schools: none of us are as good as we think we are - and when we THINK we are that good, reality has a tendency to jump in and prove us wrong!

I don't post this to upset people or belittle them - I do it BECAUSE I CARE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR CAMARO AND ALL OF THE PEOPLE YOU ARE PUTTING AT RISK by turning off the traction control and/or stabilitrak!!!!

Old 05-09-2011, 08:57 AM   #24
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hetfield03 View Post
forgive my ignorance but what kind of fail safe systems were on older high power performance cars?
There weren't and many of them ended up in scrap yards..........and many of their owners (and/or some of the innocent bystanders) found themselves suddenly in "That Great Chevy Showroom in the Sky"...........and that's why I constantly remind people of the importance of NOT shutting off the systems..........
Old 05-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #25
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvaderMoose View Post
I dont really understand why people drive around casually with stabilitrak off, does it really make driving any more fun?
Their just dumb. And kids wonder why their insurance premiums are so high.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #26
Kwik

Drives: car
Good thing he DIDN'T have 426 HP to deal with!
Attached Images

Last edited by Kwik; 05-09-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Kwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:04 PM   #27
formare
The Milano

I may not always agree with GM logic, and sometimes that means a casual disagreement with you, fbodfather.. But in this case I'm totally in agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

THIS is why I constantly 'harp' at people to stop turning off the traction control and stabilitrak! Yes, there are times when it's appropriate (most of the time, it should be turned off only on a road course or a track......)

You are proof that people can have years of experience and a safe driving record...........and then something completely unexpected happens.....

Luckily for you and your Camaro and the driving public, no one was hurt.....but unfortunately that's not always the case.

Take it from someone who has been driving for 40+ years and has gone thru more than a dozen hi-performance driving schools: none of us are as good as we think we are - and when we THINK we are that good, reality has a tendency to jump in and prove us wrong!

I don't post this to upset people or belittle them - I do it BECAUSE I CARE ABOUT YOU AND YOUR CAMARO AND ALL OF THE PEOPLE YOU ARE PUTTING AT RISK by turning off the traction control and/or stabilitrak!!!!

Quote:
There weren't and many of them ended up in scrap yards..........and many of their owners (and/or some of the innocent bystanders) found themselves suddenly in "That Great Chevy Showroom in the Sky"...........and that's why I constantly remind people of the importance of NOT shutting off the systems..........
Old 05-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #28
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:

They call it the Normalcy Bias Just because it hasn't happened before, people think that it can't/won't happen to them. Unfortunately, sometimes when you make a big enough mistake, that was your only chance. Just because you've safely performed a burn out and other high speed maneuvers without being harmed doesn't mean that there won't be one time in which that same maneuver won't get you into trouble.