Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-19-2009, 09:57 PM   #99
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZbob View Post
Mike,

Does Peddlers make a basic setup for the 2010 Camaro? Will just changing the front and rear sway bars add more stability and control some of the understeer? If you could recomend one thing to upgrade the new Camaro suspension, what would it be? Car is away for the winter and would like to do some sort of upgrade before spring.

Thanks!
There are 3 basic issues with the Camaro:
1. excess body role
2. Excess understeer when pushed really hard
3. Excess movement of suspension components

Body role is a function of height of the vehicle, low coil rates, and sway bars not strong enough.

Excess understeer is related to the above concerns, plus short wheel base, and geometry issues

Excess movement in the suspension is totally related to excess bushing movement or lack of structural support by the primary bushings: front radius rod, rear subframe, and rear diff mount bushings.

So depending on the total overall upgrades, that you want to do, will depend on how much improvement you actually want. To assist you with this process, I would be glad to chat with you to help you.

Now to your original question: Will our Solution B sway bar package add more stability, reduce body role, and improve understeer.

The answer is definately yes. It will make a major change. Our Pedders bars front bar is 90% stronger than OE and 133% stronger than OE rear.

I made a significant post about sway bar analysis that you should read. There is a serious amount of data there.

Here is a small bit of it which compares some of the units that are out there:

CENTER][/CENTER]

There is a lot of data here! Strength measured is a function of polar inertia. To make selections of bars requires looking at ratio, strength, and adjustability. For example,

1. Competitor A offers a VERY low ratio, considering they are replacing 2 sway bars, compared to Pedders Solution B ratio of 1.000 and a 90%/133% increase, compared to their 106% / 20% improvement. No end links are included with their kit

2. Competitor B is a good ratio, but offers much lower strength gains than the Pedders Solution B Package. No endlinks are included with their kit.

3. Competitor C offers a too high of a ratio, and too low of an increase in the front. This will reduce understeer , but will offer insufficient improvements in body roll. No endlinks are included with their kit

4. Competitor D offers a 2 sway bar kit with very good control in body role, but will increase understeer as compared to OE and Pedders Solution B. No endlinks are included with their kit. The Competitor D has a low ratio of .553 while the Pedders Solution B has an improved ratio of 1.00. The Pedders % improvement is 90%/133%, while the Competitor D offers a 111%/44%. Pedders again offers a better all around balance

5. Competitor E was found at SEMA but had their bars on their Camaro, but has not listed the Camaro yet on their website. They have the same size bars as Competitor B, but has the advantage of having a 2 way adjustable front bar compared to Competitor B. As in Competitor B, the balance is better than OE, but the front and rear strengths are seriously lower than Pedders Solution B at 53/87% increase over OE compared to Pedders 90/133% increase over OE

We feel the Pedders Solution B package is the best balanced bar on the market. The ratios of rear bias are up conservatively to reduce the understeer function, but rates of strength are up substantially to reduce body role, which is more demonstrative than understeer. So unlike many of the aftermarket bars out there, our Solution B bat attacks both body role and understeer. then do a understeer reducing specific alignment will complement the sway bars quite nicely.

Hope this helps.

mike
dms

Last edited by Info@PeddersUSA.com; 11-19-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #100
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZbob View Post
Mike,

Does Peddlers make a basic setup for the 2010 Camaro? Will just changing the front and rear sway bars add more stability and control some of the understeer? If you could recommend one thing to upgrade the new Camaro suspension, what would it be? Car is away for the winter and would like to do some sort of upgrade before spring.

Thanks!
Mike took the long road

Radius Bush Snubbers
Sub-Frame Inserts (Not In Stock) Sub-Frame Bushes
Sway Bar Solution B Three Weeks out.

Sway bars are the FINAL tuning element to add to a vehicle. The glaring weaknesses are the radius and sub-frame bushes. These are the foundational components (sub-frame and radius bushes) that should be the first mod for every Camaro owner. These bushes followed by Solution B Sway bars would be a stellar setup.

One mod for this winter and only one mod???

I'll cheat and call it a Foundational Bush Kit and make the snubbers and sub-frame bushes one item. They should be because they are the two weakest links in the OEM suspension.

Hey Mike,

Is there a Foundational Bush Kit for the Camaro in our catalog?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #101
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
I'm interested in your total package, but money is always an object. Bushings come first, then coil overs, then sway bars, correct? Ball park how much for each step and how noticeable will each step be in daily driving and racing. I went autocrossing for the first time with my 2ss and am hooked and then 4 days later went to the drag strip. I know one suspension is not ideal for all situations. Would I have to setup the suspension for the one I plan on doing most, most likely, or how would you advise me on this. Plan on doing more autocrossing and road racing. Thanks for any info. Josh
1977and2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #102
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1977and2010 View Post
thats just what i was looking for thanks. i plan on 450- 475 rwhp (cam, heads, and intake). I've heard of another camaro5 member using the rear tires on the front 275/40/20 and thought this would give me a little greater contact patch and be kind of stealthy also. Thanks Josh.
This does in fact work. I played with the WD40 Camaro some months back and put the rears on the fronts to see if it works, and it does.

thanks
mike
dms
Old 11-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #103
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
..and the car
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 PM   #104
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abygale View Post
Thanks Speed, I'll take my time and do it right that's for sure.

I don't really plan on drag racing though, I probably will just to see how fast the car ends up but I'm much more interested in autocross, road course, and ovals.

Excellent Aby !!!

Take the time to look at this - http://www.ridetechtv.com/video/8590
It is Mary Pozzi who is the 11 time SCCA Autocross Champion at the Del Mar Goodguys show. I grabbed this from a different site where Mary hangs out. She is very cool and an awesome autocrosser.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #105
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedster View Post
Excellent Aby !!!

Take the time to look at this - http://www.ridetechtv.com/video/8590
It is Mary Pozzi who is the 11 time SCCA Autocross Champion at the Del Mar Goodguys show. I grabbed this from a different site where Mary hangs out. She is very cool and an awesome autocrosser.

I checked out the video from Mary Pozzi. She did a really great intro job.

Where is she located?

mike
dms
Old 11-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #106
mpozzi

Drives: 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 2002
Just found this site and very cool. Thanks for the compliments on the RideTech autocrossing video and it was fun talking "work" with Ty.

As for the question about location, I'm about 100 miles south of you.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi
mpozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #107
speedster
SST...

Hey Mary -

Thanks for stopping in. A few posts up, Aby, wants to start learning how to autocross, so I figured to give her a link to the best.

We are having a big fifth gen Camaro get together next April 16-18 including autocross, so your tips are a big help for so many here.

FYI: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46574

-Bruce
Old 11-21-2009, 09:36 AM   #108
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
Not saying your car isn't faster, but we're still on the stock struts. There's just over $900 in our suspension. BTW, what tires were you on? Just curious.
Struts on a 68 Camaro???

What suspension mods have been done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpozzi View Post
Just found this site and very cool. Thanks for the compliments on the RideTech autocrossing video and it was fun talking "work" with Ty.

As for the question about location, I'm about 100 miles south of you.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi
Enjoyed the vid Mary, welcome to our little hole in the wall

I think there's a young lady on here that will be wanting to bend your ear.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #109
Steve1968LS2

Drives: 1968 LS2 powered - Bad Penny
Watch out for Mary.. she cheats! (j/k)

But she does always drive my car faster in the autox than I do.. so that does get annoying..

Welcome to the site Mary!

1968 Camaro - 461 RHS LS 700hp, various stuff, called Bad Penny
1968 Camaro - In progress, called Track Rat
2010 Camaro - DSE Suspension, Baer 6S Brakes, Boze Wheels, Nitto NT05 Tires, JBA Exhaust and long tubes, Magnacharger TVS, 660rwhp Forged Eagle 416 LS3 short block, ADM fuel system, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, G-Force axles, Anvil and Seibon CF parts, Centerforce Dual-Disc Clutch

www.fquick.com/steve1968ls2
Steve1968LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #110
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Very well done Mary!

You can find some interesting data here. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...54#post1198554
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:02 PM   #111
speedster
SST...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
Watch out for Mary.. she cheats! (j/k)

But she does always drive my car faster in the autox than I do.. so that does get annoying..

Welcome to the site Mary!
That's cool Steve. You are not slouch either ...and Penny is one bad-ass ride.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:02 AM   #112
fixxxer525
Account Suspended

Drives: 01S10,01CBR600,05Ducati, 10 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to fixxxer525
Hey JusticePete, question with Forgeline, I was told by forgeline I have to run a spacer in order for my wheels to fit the Camaro, the wheel size is 20x10.5 with 295/35/20 Nitto INVO. Due to the "reverse mount" of the 20x10.5 wheel, if I want to eleminate the spacers, I have to run 10" wide wheel. I know your Pedders Camaro run 19x10.5, did you have to add spacers? I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and sacrifice 1/2 inch just so I don't have deal with dumb spacers. By the way, I was (past tense) going to run 20x10.5 all the way around. The other option I was given is the step lip outter but thats not the look I'm after. Performance wise, yes the step lip would be better. But I'm also going after the look and the option of step lip outter would make it look "cheesy". If you don't have an answer, anyone? Trying to figure out this wheel and tire combo is a PITA and its becoming very fustrating.
fixxxer525 is offline   Reply With Quote