Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
What 18's fit all the way around? Sponsors, sell me some wheels!

So I am looking for some 18" wheels for my car. They have to be matte black to match everything else i am doing to my car. I already contacted Nine ball and he sent me a good price on the gorgeous Forgestar F14s, but they won't have the 18x11 i want for a while. So....

I also noticed TSW makes a few of wheels that might fit my needs. Doninton in 18x8 & 18x9.5, Interlagos RF 9 spoke in 18x8 & 18x9.5, Mallory 5 in 18x8 & 18x9.5, all the offsets look right and some websites obviously say they fit the V6 Camaros. They are also a few hundred bucks cheaper than the Forgestars. Has anyone mounted these wheels on an SS? I'm wondering if they clear the brakes. I know i will have to change out brake pads if i have the "roller skate pads" up front, but other than that any one fit them up yet?

Nineball has already confirmed that the Forgestars clear front and back, just seeing if there are any other options before i pull the trigger on another set of wheels. My car need to get built already!
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Nine Ball

Drives: 1969 & 2016 Camaro SS
So you aren't interested in Forgestar 18x10 wheels because they aren't wide enough for you, but you are considering narrower TSW wheels?

That makes less sense than a football bat. LOL!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #3
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Ball View Post
So you aren't interested in Forgestar 18x10 wheels because they aren't wide enough for you, but you are considering narrower TSW wheels?

That makes less sense than a football bat. LOL!
Oh no, I am. 18x8.5/18x11 is my ideal choice (right now) but i figure if I am going to settle for 18x10 in the back then i might as well settle for 18x9.5 and save a few hundred bucks, depending on if they fit and what the availability is.
I'm also kind of considering 18x9.5 all the way around so i can rotate tires.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:45 AM   #4
Nine Ball

Be sure to locate the proper tires first, easier to work backwards on wheel sizes. There aren't many 18" tires that are the proper diameter for the Camaro. You'll need tires that are 28-29 inches tall, to keep the speedometer and odometer accurate. Most guys buying 18s for these cars are using drag radials, which do come in the right height. Others are using shorter tires for auto-cross purposes only.

Tony
Old 01-31-2011, 10:02 AM   #5
KJSmith84

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green
im trying to find a good looking 18's myself but re use the stock LS tires.
KJSmith84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:03 AM   #6
chopss

Drives: 04 sentra, 2ss
Hi nineball.
Just wondering what can happen if you run a smaller diameter tire?
chopss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Be sure to locate the proper tires first, easier to work backwards on wheel sizes. There aren't many 18" tires that are the proper diameter for the Camaro. You'll need tires that are 28-29 inches tall, to keep the speedometer and odometer accurate. Most guys buying 18s for these cars are using drag radials, which do come in the right height. Others are using shorter tires for auto-cross purposes only.

Tony
Yeah, I already have the tires lined up and are in stock.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #8
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopss View Post
Hi nineball.
Just wondering what can happen if you run a smaller diameter tire?
Nothing, just your speedo will be off, but you can tune to correct that. That is what i am doing.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJSmith84 View Post
im trying to find a good looking 18's myself but re use the stock LS tires.
V6 Camaros are a lot easier to shop for because of the smaller brakes. I'm assuming most 18" wheels the same specss as the stockers would work great.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:17 AM   #10
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
So I am looking for some 18" wheels for my car. They have to be matte black to match everything else i am doing to my car. I already contacted Nine ball and he sent me a good price on the gorgeous Forgestar F14s, but they won't have the 18x11 i want for a while. So....

I also noticed TSW makes a few of wheels that might fit my needs. Doninton in 18x8 & 18x9.5, Interlagos RF 9 spoke in 18x8 & 18x9.5, Mallory 5 in 18x8 & 18x9.5, all the offsets look right and some websites obviously say they fit the V6 Camaros. They are also a few hundred bucks cheaper than the Forgestars. Has anyone mounted these wheels on an SS? I'm wondering if they clear the brakes. I know i will have to change out brake pads if i have the "roller skate pads" up front, but other than that any one fit them up yet?

Nineball has already confirmed that the Forgestars clear front and back, just seeing if there are any other options before i pull the trigger on another set of wheels. My car need to get built already!
I'm assuming you're doing this to reduce unsprung rotating weight for racing of some kind? Nine is right; make sure you find the tire you want to use and that the size you want is available before you buy the rims. Not all tires weigh the same either; if reducing weight is your goal the tire weights can vary up to 3 lbs between brands and types for the same size tires.

The manufacturer's web sites will generally have the spec charts that show the sizes, rim widths they're rated for, load rating, tire weight, etc. I know for a fact 19 x 9.5 fits on an SS since I have that on mine but 18's may be a bit tight. Contact Justice Pete from Pedders; I believe they managed what you want to do but I don't remember the offset or brand they used.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
chopss

18 fit I believe peddler runs it. It can be found on there suspension bible write up. I think the concern is the tire load on how much weight it can handle. Not sure though.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
Nine Ball

Doc, 18x9 and 18x10/11 fit the SS Brembo brakes on the Forgestar F14 wheels. As long as there are no roller skate brake pad weights. It is a snug fit, but they have plenty of clearance. Those wheels only weigh in at 21 lbs each

chop, running shorter tires will make your speedo read hgher, and put more "miles" on your car than you are actually driving. Vice-versa, using a taller tire does the opposite. I'm not sure who has the capability to tune for tire heights, as I haven't kept up with that market lately. SUX2BU, which software/tuner does the tire height changes?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
chopss

Thx nineball. My bad peddler runs 19.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:04 AM   #14
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Quote:
Doc, 18x9 and 18x10/11 fit the SS Brembo brakes on the Forgestar F14 wheels. As long as there are no roller skate brake pad weights. It is a snug fit, but they have plenty of clearance. Those wheels only weigh in at 21 lbs each

chop, running shorter tires will make your speedo read hgher, and put more "miles" on your car than you are actually driving. Vice-versa, using a taller tire does the opposite. I'm not sure who has the capability to tune for tire heights, as I haven't kept up with that market lately. SUX2BU, which software/tuner does the tire height changes?
My buddy Sam88gta1 here in DFW does all the tunes on my cars and any car I work on. I'm pretty sure he uses HP tuners. He tuned OrangeChevyII's car which was blazing fast!