Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 07-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
kfbrinton

Drives: 2002 Blue RS 5 speed
2002 RS act like its out of gas

I was driving down the road and it just stopped like it was out of gas. Gage showed more than a half tank. Luckily is was in front of a gas station. Push it in and added gas just in case the gage was wrong. It started for a minute, sputtered and died. Tried again - got the same result. It acts like it is out of gas. I had it towed home! Suggestions?
kfbrinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Bad fuel pump, fuel filter? In that respect it would be out of gas ....oops, not funny.

But there are some very knowledgeable people around here that know more specific issues the 4thgens had than I do. I'm sure they'll be able to help.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:44 PM   #3
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
My first instinct would be fuel pump or fuel filter, too.

Anyway....Got air, fuel, spark?
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I'd check the Fuel filter first, Fuel pump second, Fuel pressure regulator third.

Fuel filters are pretty easy, just hard to reach. I'm guessing the pump is in the tank? I've changed a fuel pressure regulator on a 5.7 vortech motor. I had to remove the upper intake ??? Damn I forget what it's called. The plastic, piece on top of the manifold itself... Anyway I had to take that off to get the FPR... The hardest part was the wireing harness.... Took about 2 hours. Not too bad if you like to turn your own wrenches.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 02:48 AM   #5
jm5877

Drives: 2002 Chevrolet Camaro (Black)
Yeah, fuel filter or pump, maybe injectors???. I had a problem with my '99 Camaro sputtering and dying when I put a couple tanks of lower octane gas in it. The check engine light came on, the works. Until that point I had put at least 91-93 octane in it. I put a bottle of fuel system cleaner in it and a full tank of 93 octane, then took it out on the interstate and ran it at about 110mph flat out for five miles or so, never had a problem after that.

2002 Coupe - V6 (Black/Ebony)

Previous Camaros:

1984 Sport Coupe - 4cyl (White/Blue)
1993 Coupe - V6 (Black/Charcoal)
1999 Coupe - V6 (Black/Charcoal)

Future Camaro:

2010 LT/RS Coupe - V6 (Black/Neutral)
jm5877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
Bumble Bee '77
AutoBot Scout

Drives: 2002 ZRS Camaro
Ive heard that the Optispark distributor on the 200* series Camaros, because of its placement can cause problems such as these. MSD makes a replacement thats fully sealed against the elements. Might want to check into that.
Bumble Bee '77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:38 PM   #7
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfbrinton View Post
I was driving down the road and it just stopped like it was out of gas. Gage showed more than a half tank. Luckily is was in front of a gas station. Push it in and added gas just in case the gage was wrong. It started for a minute, sputtered and died. Tried again - got the same result. It acts like it is out of gas. I had it towed home! Suggestions?
I'm an apprentice mechanic and from my experience, that sounds like a fuel pump. Just like everyone said.. If it were a bad injector, it would most likely sound like you have a misfire.

Good news is, if you're not opposed to cutting a hole over the gas tank of your car, it's possible to change the fuel pump without taking the whole rear suspension (which according to shop manuals is the process required to replace the fuel pump) and pull the pump out there. If you do a google search for Camaro fuel pump replacement there are walkthrus available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bee '77 View Post
Ive heard that the Optispark distributor on the 200* series Camaros, because of its placement can cause problems such as these. MSD makes a replacement thats fully sealed against the elements. Might want to check into that.
I believe that's for the LT1 engine. My buddy had one of those and it was a pain in the ass. The 3.8 liter like the OP has are much less difficult to deal with.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:24 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
I'm an apprentice mechanic and from my experience, that sounds like a fuel pump. Just like everyone said.. If it were a bad injector, it would most likely sound like you have a misfire.

Good news is, if you're not opposed to cutting a hole over the gas tank of your car, it's possible to change the fuel pump without taking the whole rear suspension (which according to shop manuals is the process required to replace the fuel pump) and pull the pump out there. If you do a google search for Camaro fuel pump replacement there are walkthrus available.

I believe that's for the LT1 engine. My buddy had one of those and it was a pain in the ass. The 3.8 liter like the OP has are much less difficult to deal with.
Optispark is only on the Gen. II LT1 and L99

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #9
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Is there a ping pong ball in your gas tank? Do you have any enemies?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 01:02 AM   #10
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I'd check the Fuel filter first, Fuel pump second, Fuel pressure regulator third.

Fuel filters are pretty easy, just hard to reach. I'm guessing the pump is in the tank? I've changed a fuel pressure regulator on a 5.7 vortech motor. I had to remove the upper intake ??? Damn I forget what it's called. The plastic, piece on top of the manifold itself... Anyway I had to take that off to get the FPR... The hardest part was the wireing harness.... Took about 2 hours. Not too bad if you like to turn your own wrenches.
what I was gonna say....mabe I should just stop posting....seriously though sounds like one of those three....Id go fuel pump first...but the fuel filter is a much easier/quicker fix if it is the problem.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #11
oldchevyguy

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumble Bee '77 View Post
optispark was only used on the LT1 1993-1997
oldchevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote