Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-23-2009, 12:47 AM   #1
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
22's VS 19's on SS

I was looking to get some solid pro's con's directly relevant to the Camaro SS only, not any other cars... Taking into consideration the structure/form/design etc of only this car..

What are the key benefits vs drawbacks of either rolling with 19's or 22's ?

Please don't bother talking about "looks" because everyones going to have their own opinion on that, but with all due respect, I'll stick to appeasing my own taste in style... I just want some more qualified info in regards to the functionality differences between the two sizes on an SS Camaro.

Also, would the benefits of either be different if the car was rolling on pedders or eibach's?

Kind of looking for more input than just "22's will be a rougher ride" or, "19's will be a softer ride" etc...

Thanks in advance.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:24 AM   #2
jimmyD

Drives: torrent
The looks are very important. Otherwise everyone would have super light 15" wheels for the performance benefits. Check into rotation inertia... And suspension response throwing a lighter wheel around. That is why you'll never see F1 cars with 22s
jimmyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #3
Stewcam

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I am getting 22" forged wheels that are light plus look good. I think 20-22" wheels just look better on this vehicle from a proportion standpoint. The fact that you are modifying the suspension it should ride nice on any wheel you put on. The 22's will have a slightly less pliant ride and transmit bumps through the car a little more and may be a fraction less reactive from a handling standpoint. That is not an issue for me. I rode in a camaro with 22's before I made my choice and it looked good and rode well from my perspective.
Old 10-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #4
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
don't go smaller! 22s look the best

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
2010_5thgen

Drives: 2012 Porsche Panamera 4
well, it does depend on a look because there is 3" difference there. you can get lightweight 19 to 22" wheels. so depends on the size you want and how much you want to spend. also depends on the stance of the car, which is the look. do you want it super super lo? or are you even planning on lowering the car at all. with 22" wheels the car is raised a bit, depending on the tire you go with. with a 19" wheel, the car might be lowered depending on the tire you go with. or it could stay the stock height depending on the side wall. but if your gonna lower the car, it just depends on how low you want to go. so yes, the look of the car does matter. because that LOOK, affects the ride some good ways and some bad ways.
now me and DOC have not ever seen eye to eye on this topic, but he is entitled to his opinion and i am mine. but performance can be achieved by either combination you pick.
2010_5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
well, it does depend on a look because there is 3" difference there. you can get lightweight 19 to 22" wheels. so depends on the size you want and how much you want to spend. also depends on the stance of the car, which is the look. do you want it super super lo? or are you even planning on lowering the car at all. with 22" wheels the car is raised a bit, depending on the tire you go with. with a 19" wheel, the car might be lowered depending on the tire you go with. or it could stay the stock height depending on the side wall. but if your gonna lower the car, it just depends on how low you want to go. so yes, the look of the car does matter. because that LOOK, affects the ride some good ways and some bad ways.
now me and DOC have not ever seen eye to eye on this topic, but he is entitled to his opinion and i am mine. but performance can be achieved by either combination you pick.
your car looks stealth, I love it it would look sweet with a matte black paint job

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #7
2010_5thgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
your car looks stealth, I love it it would look sweet with a matte black paint job
im actually concidering that.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:21 PM   #8
Stewcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Notice what those who like and want 22's always talk about... "looks". Also notice how no one who really wants performance wants 22's. It depends entirely on what your main use of the vehicle is for; looks and show, or performance.
I guess you didn't see that I will be sporting 22's and over 600 rwhp and pfadt coilovers, sways, bushings, bmr, hurst.....and I am not interested in performance??? Think again.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #9
Stewcam

Quote:
Wheels are unsprung rotational mass; the less weight the better. Your car will accelerate and stop quicker with less weight. The better the cornering and handling. The less bounce; the easier the shocks can dampen and control the wheel as it tracks over road surface changes. Your car will stop quicker with a lighter wheel and your brakes will last longer. The suspension bushings, ball joints, linkages etc. will take less of a beating with a lighter wheel.

Negatives: People who are into show cars will tell you your car looks awful, that the wheels look too small, that the gap between tire and wheel well is too big. You won't "look" badass to them and they'll tell you so. They're into looks not performance so they'll tell you about looks only. Or their idea of looks anyways.

Positives: your car will be faster and handle better than any of those "badass" show boats. There won't be time to see the gap in the wheel wells because you won't be in view long enough for anyone to see it. Your tires will be MUCH cheaper. When you push the gas pedal your car will respond NOW. (When show boats push the gas pedal it's a request that takes a few seconds to get up to speed). When you stand on the brakes in an emergency stop, your car will stop NOW. (Show boats will still be moving and take another car length or two to stop which means they'll most likely be hitting what you just avoided). You won't be told you look badass by the show boat crowd but you will go badass and be able to hang out with the speed and performance crowd.

You'll get reamed by the show boat crowd for making a post like this. There will be lots and lots of responses about how they have all this performance blah blah and you don't know what you're talking about blah blah but you'll note what size wheels the guys who are actually going fast are buying and talking about. They're asking about 18's and even if 17's will fit.

Just going from 20's to 19's you'll notice the improvement; I did. Fun stuff. Let the games begin...
Why do you have 19's if lower is better? Take the wheels off your lawnmower and pull 1.5g's.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:44 PM   #10
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Quote:
Notice what those who like and want 22's always talk about... "looks". Also notice how no one who really wants performance wants 22's. It depends entirely on what your main use of the vehicle is for; looks and show, or performance.
If a person is a true performance minded person they should have bought a 1LT Corvette they cost about the exact same as a 2SS

Also, my 22s weight 28lbs front and 32lbs rear which is the same as stock.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
2010_5thgen

if someone tells you they bought this car for some other reason than the looks, they are lying to you. this is not the best performing car out there. it takes a few mods to get it there, but it can get there. people buy this car because of its heritage and looks over all. if someone were buying a performance car, they should have chose a vette over this car. so dont tell me that looks is not important with this car because in the end, thats why you bought it.

oh and DOC, any day your ready, ill go head to head with you on whatever track you want, and ill gaurantee me and my 22's will take you and your 19's. thats how confident i am in my wheel and tire package. and then we can go to a car show and ill win there too....
Old 10-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
Stewcam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010_5thgen View Post
if someone tells you they bought this car for some other reason than the looks, they are lying to you. this is not the best performing car out there. it takes a few mods to get it there, but it can get there. people buy this car because of its heritage and looks over all. if someone were buying a performance car, they should have chose a vette over this car. so dont tell me that looks is not important with this car because in the end, thats why you bought it.

oh and DOC, any day your ready, ill go head to head with you on whatever track you want, and ill gaurantee me and my 22's will take you and your 19's. thats how confident i am in my wheel and tire package. and then we can go to a car show and ill win there too....
He will blow by you with minimal rotational mass!!! LMAFO. He won't respond to your challenge.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #13
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Quote:
My 19's weigh 25 all the way around. Depends on the balance and compromise you want and are willing to make. I'm building mine for handling; not 1/4 mile. Ask Mike and Justice Pete why they chose 19's over a bigger rim size, in fact read up on it on the Pedder's website. If you guys want the bigger rims that's fine; doesn't look all that good to me but that's just my opinion. You make compromises to get that look; compromises I don't want to make. Everybody gets to customize their car which is what makes it so much fun. To each his own.
I agree. 19 inch wheels do not do the look for me either on this car as 22 do not for you. Not many people would redo the entire interior of a brand new car but some of us do. That is what is great about freedom of choice..We all can have fun making our car our own...
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #14
Mayhem

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Camaro (Black)
Thanks for the replies & info guys. As for looks, yes obviously the looks of the "car" matter. That is kind of common sense, it's really the only reason the Camaro is so big right now even among people that don't know it's heritage. And the reason why I get a big silly grin everytime I go into a parking lot, look around and see MY 2010 2SS/RS M6 shining among the crowd of not as good looking cars.

I specifically said I wasn't interested in the "looks" comments because I will go with what I think looks best for me in the end, not what the "majority" thinks looks best.. I am not a race car driver, nor am I ghetto fabulous, nor am I a car show guy. I drive a Camaro, I want it to look the way I like, and drive comfort/handling is something I care a bit about. And I wanted a little more info in regards to a more technical side of wheel sizes & tire sizes that I am not as learned in as some of the good folks of Camaro5.

Which in no way suggests that I think looks don't matter? So not sure why that's up for debate. As for it not being a performance vehicle.. well it's a performance "Camaro" if that is what it's spec'd for... It doesn't have to out run the funny cars to be performance oriented.

Anyway for those of you who want to flame, I am positive there are some local clubs promoting lots of flaming that you could zip to in your 1000HP rocket ships. But try to keep it decent in this thread thanks I asked for info, and those who stuck to the topic were helpin me out which I appreciate. Don't jack this thread and turn it into another internet argument.

I have 426 hp because thats how she came. I will never use it to it's full potential. I will seldomly visit a race track. I will not care about whether my car won the local beauty pageant because I still get a chubby when I see her. I am not trying to get to the moon in it. It is my daily driver, in the rainy streets of Vancouver, BC. (CANADA!!) My first Manual transmission car ever (first car ever that is officially "mine") and first car I have "detailed". My first customization was "fuzzy dice". I have stalled at busy intersections, and squeeked my tires shifting gears.

I am sure you are all very well endowed. But please don't get to bashing eachother over differences of opinions... I am looking for "fact" based information anyways not opinions based on "preference".

Thanks again for the replies !!!! You all drive the same dead sexy car... play nice
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote