Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 03-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #85
Blade

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS BVM
Send a message via AIM to Blade
Few questions:

-Is this write up only for the V8 engine?
-Except for the filter is the drain plug located in the same area on the V6?
-Also can the catchcan be used on the v6 engine?

2012 2SS/RS Build Thread - Totaled by red light runner

2010 LT/RS Build Thread - Traded in for 2012 2SS

2007 Acura TSX

1992 Oldsmobile Achieva V6

1992 Mercury Sable
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #86
adub4185

Drives: 2010 2SS RS, 2023 Camaro ZLE
Send a message via AIM to adub4185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade View Post
Few questions:

-Is this write up only for the V8 engine?
-Except for the filter is the drain plug located in the same area on the V6?
-Also can the catchcan be used on the v6 engine?
-The write up was written for the V8, but the same general principles apply to the V6. The only differences would be the type of filter used (the V6 uses a drop in style paper filter) and the amount of oil used. I have seen other threads in the maintenance section on the specifics of the V6 oil change.

-The drain plug should be in the same area under the car on the oil pan somewhere forward of the transmission. It is usually pretty easy to spot.

-I do not know the answer to this question as I dont know any specifics on the V6's PCV system. I have a buddy with a V6 and will look into it. I do have a hunch that the mounting system used by the elite engineering can would probably not work for the V6, but that doesnt mean that something couldnt be designed to work. Ill take a look at this and let everyone know my findings.
adub4185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:02 PM   #87
Reeko

Drives: 69 Camaro RS Conv. 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by adub4185 View Post
-The write up was written for the V8, but the same general principles apply to the V6. The only differences would be the type of filter used (the V6 uses a drop in style paper filter) and the amount of oil used. I have seen other threads in the maintenance section on the specifics of the V6 oil change.

-The drain plug should be in the same area under the car on the oil pan somewhere forward of the transmission. It is usually pretty easy to spot.

-I do not know the answer to this question as I dont know any specifics on the V6's PCV system. I have a buddy with a V6 and will look into it. I do have a hunch that the mounting system used by the elite engineering can would probably not work for the V6, but that doesnt mean that something couldnt be designed to work. Ill take a look at this and let everyone know my findings.
So, how sure are you that the particles in the filter were trapped by the magnet vs the filter itself?
Was there a clear line of particles on the edge of the filter where the magnets were?
Reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:03 PM   #88
Reeko

Drives: 69 Camaro RS Conv. 2010 Camaro SS
BTW,
I have a few VERY strong magnets from Hard Disk Drives I took apart.

Any thoughts if I could just stick them onto my filter and get the same effect?
Reeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:28 PM   #89
adub4185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeko View Post
So, how sure are you that the particles in the filter were trapped by the magnet vs the filter itself?
Was there a clear line of particles on the edge of the filter where the magnets were?
I am fairly ceratin that MOST of the particles I found were trapped by the magnet. I think if you cut open your filter w/out the magnet you would find some, but not close to the amount that I did. I actually think that the drain plug would have caught a lot more than the filtermag had it not been there. A lot of that debris settles to the bottom of the pan, but I think the filtermag did a good job of extracting it out of the oil as it circulated through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeko View Post
BTW,
I have a few VERY strong magnets from Hard Disk Drives I took apart.

Any thoughts if I could just stick them onto my filter and get the same effect?
I dont see why you wouldnt, just make sure that they dont fall off. The nice part about the filtermag is that it is contoured to fit the filter and does a really good job of hanging on there. To be honest, I dont think it moved at all during the 1500 miles between oil changes. It was in the exact same spot that it was in when i put it in and didnt move down or over at all.

Good luck with the hard drive magnets and post your experience...
Old 03-26-2010, 06:18 AM   #90
Dave2SSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
Or you can do it like it do it. Buy oil and filter at walmart. Find a mom and pop oil change shop and have them do it for like $10 bucks. It saves you time and oil spills and transfering oil. Best $10 you can spend IMO.
I know this is an older post but I do the same thing! Buy my Full Syn oil and filter at walmart and take it to NTB who will handle everything else for like $12.

Very good option if you are not comfortable with doing it yourself!

-Dave
Dave2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #91
adub4185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpsyphered View Post
I know this is an older post but I do the same thing! Buy my Full Syn oil and filter at walmart and take it to NTB who will handle everything else for like $12.

Very good option if you are not comfortable with doing it yourself!

-Dave
That's not near as fun though
Old 03-26-2010, 10:05 AM   #92
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
I was talking to a guy yesterday and he had his camaro oil chaned at the dealership. He said he paid 116 for 9 qts of oil.. Why'd thy use so much? He said they also used valvoline.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:39 AM   #93
adub4185

Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
I was talking to a guy yesterday and he had his camaro oil chaned at the dealership. He said he paid 116 for 9 qts of oil.. Why'd thy use so much? He said they also used valvoline.
its reasons like this that i dont take my car to the dealer. i went by the factory recommendations on the oil and the amount. I think 9 qts is way too much. also, i think my 2 oil change costs have averaged out to around $60 and to me, saving $60 and knowing it was done right is worth my time.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #94
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adub4185 View Post
its reasons like this that i dont take my car to the dealer. i went by the factory recommendations on the oil and the amount. I think 9 qts is way too much. also, i think my 2 oil change costs have averaged out to around $60 and to me, saving $60 and knowing it was done right is worth my time.
Well said, just wondering. The cost to get all the stuff to change my oil (wood to drive up onto, jack, jackstands, funnel, shop towel, filter, torque wrench, oil, etc.) WAS $120. The oil and filter alone will cost me $65 next time. Gotta LOVE DIY work.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #95
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Any issues with warranty when you do your own oil changes?
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:59 PM   #96
HaZe_X

Drives: Trailblazer SS & Camaro SS
Sorry if this has been asked..But are you guys using a oil filter wrench? If so what kind? Where did you get it? Anything else?

Thanks.
HaZe_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #97
LS/V6

Drives: 2SS\RS 1LE
Quote:
Any issues with warranty when you do your own oil changes?
No it won't mess with warranty at all, just make sure to keep all your receipts
Old 03-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #98
adub4185

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaZe_X View Post
Sorry if this has been asked..But are you guys using a oil filter wrench? If so what kind? Where did you get it? Anything else?

Thanks.
I am using a filter top wrench. Its the one that you can put on a socket wrench. I tried the larger strap wrench and it didnt work so well. I got it at autozone when I bought the filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS/V6 View Post
No it won't mess with warranty at all, just make sure to keep all your receipts
what he said...