Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 12-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #15
71cam

Drives: 71cam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozzbow View Post
That’s why I special ordered my flares for this particular reason. Especially now so much road constructions and the overload of exaggerated salt that Sanitation lay out during the snowfall.
front splash guards look good, but i'm not feelin' it for the back ones....i know, i know they protect the car...but they look bulky.
71cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #16
Krozzbow

Drives: 2LT/BB 3.6 V6 6-M Jun'09 #A9100242
I figured that with the wide rear it would be less noticeable.
Krozzbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #17
nusong

Drives: 2010 2LT RJT Auto - Camaro/2004 Sub
Flares

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krozzbow View Post
That’s why I special ordered my flares for this particular reason. Especially now so much road constructions and the overload of exaggerated salt that Sanitation lay out during the snowfall.
Where did you get the flares?
nusong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #18
Krozzbow

Drives: 2LT/BB 3.6 V6 6-M Jun'09 #A9100242
Quote:
Originally Posted by nusong View Post
Where did you get the flares?
It was an added feature package that I ordered in the dealership and color matched. A friend ordered a set and it came in black primer ready to be painted.
Krozzbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:03 PM   #19
RJK350S10
VIN# 66663

Drives: 2LT RS Victory Red
Got ours from here. The protection is more important to me than the slight detraction from the look.
Our Acura came with them and you really do not notice them.

Gohttp://www.pfyc.com/pc/CA1003/CAEXT/Front+and+Rear+Splash+Guards+-+2010+Camaro.html
RJK350S10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:23 PM   #20
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Sorry dude, but I can't tell what you show is paint chips or splatters of dirt and road salt on top of the paint. It looks like the kind of dirt that I've been washing off my cars every winter for 20+ years.
I'd agree...I washed the same sort of thing off the Envoy (black) a few days back...

I would try cleaning everything.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:45 PM   #21
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
HAHAHAA. And people look at me funny because i had mud flaps on my Cobalt SS. THIS IS WHY!
Muhahahaha.
I also had the whole rocker panel, front clip, fronts of all four fenders, A pillers, and behind the rear tires 3M vinyled.

You can see the square behind the rear tire here.

And up on the bulge of the fender, you can see it again. Say NO to rock chips!
Old 12-20-2009, 10:58 PM   #22
Ken-h
Flying toys

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS
I've been considering the splash guards as well. I had another car the rockers were chipped pretty good after a few years. I really don't want to but Krozzbow's don't look too bad.
Ken-h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:59 AM   #23
sen10l

Drives: In Transit
I have several questions:

1) the rocker panel sticks out and looks like it would block stones from hitting the gills. Furthermore the gills stick out a few inches out more than the edge of the front tires. Question: judging from the trajectory of stones ejecting from the front tire, how is it possible that any of it can hit the gills? Could they be from other cars ejecting stones to the side?

2) even with splash guards if you look at the trajectories of stones ejecting from the tires at different points of tire rotation, it appears that the splash guards will only protect the front part of the rocker panel and stones will continue to hit the rear part of the rocker panel. Q: agree or disagree?

3) anyone have problems from rocks being kicked up to the side from trucks and hitting the side of your Maro and chipping the paint? Just wondering if this is a problem that some of you have experienced.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:27 AM   #24
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen10l View Post

1) the rocker panel sticks out and looks like it would block stones from hitting the gills. Furthermore the gills stick out a few inches out more than the edge of the front tires. Question: judging from the trajectory of stones ejecting from the front tire, how is it possible that any of it can hit the gills? Could they be from other cars ejecting stones to the side?

2) even with splash guards if you look at the trajectories of stones ejecting from the tires at different points of tire rotation, it appears that the splash guards will only protect the front part of the rocker panel and stones will continue to hit the rear part of the rocker panel. Q: agree or disagree?

3) anyone have problems from rocks being kicked up to the side from trucks and hitting the side of your Maro and chipping the paint? Just wondering if this is a problem that some of you have experienced.
I will say this, even with the splash guards you will get stuff on your car.

I was noticing this, this weekend when I tested the Camaro out in the snow. The Camaro with Pirelli scorpions, worked better than my 2000 Camry with Michelin Xs one all season tires.

Anyhow, there wasn't as much on the gills, but there was some snow on the rocker panel, and even a bit under the seal on the drivers side door.

If I think of it, I should drive it around in the snow again, and take pictures of where it accumulates. I can only imagine how bad it would be without the splash guards.

I'm thinking it might not be as bad with the smaller size tires, but with 20" tires, you will still get some.
skuttduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #25
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Originally Posted by sen10l View Post

Actually, ever swatted water with your hand? Notice the water doesn't just stay exactly where your hand hit the water? Same effect, but this is magnified, and varied because of speeds. This is the reason i 3Med all four of the FRONTs of the fenders on my car.
Yes, stones and other debris will continue to hit the rear of the rocker panel, and up close to the front too (while going slow) even with mudflaps. That's where 3M vinyl comes in.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #26
aj2ssrs

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Has anyone had the area where the gills are protected with 3M or Ventureshield? The reason I'm asking is that I'm having my GFX side rockers and the area behind the rear wheel done with Ventureshield tomorrow. I have already touched-up a couple small chips on the rockers and 1 small chip on the rear gill before the installation. These pictures have me concerned about other areas. I'll print out these pictures and run them past the installer and see what he says.
aj2ssrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:01 PM   #27
armando416

Drives: Camaro 2SS IBM/Grand Prix
Why the heck doesn't anyone make any stuff for IBM Camaros? Freakin hell! These would be nice to have.
armando416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 01:12 PM   #28
Dakota Kid

Drives: 2010 2SS/RJT/L99
I had my SS about two days before I realized I would need the flaps.....got em on and all is good.

Get them.

Tags
mud flaps paint chips