Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Jason 98 TA
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 12-07-2017, 02:43 AM   #1
chargerfan2

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE 2SS Summit White
Heat extractor looking dull

My heat extractor is looking really dull. I've taken it off and cleaned it but looks faded. Had the hood wrap replaced yesterday and now it really stands out against the new wrap. What do you guys use to clean the extractor to make it look new again or have you just painted it? I'm thinking I might go that route or just replace the vents.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
I've been wondering this too, as well as what works good on the wrap itself. If you don't mind me asking, what did the rewrap cost? I have a blemish on the top edge of the hood and was considering getting it done.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

Roto-Fad CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, DynoSteve tune.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
amory.fitlife
"Obe 1"

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE Storm Trooper
After washing my hood looked a little dull. I put some tire shine on a rag and wipe down the hood. Pops the black really good. Ill do that to all the black areas around the car (trim, fascia, etc). I do wonder since it is oil based if there is any safety concerns being near the engine with the heat, but It's been a month or so and no issue. Stays on alot when washing too.

Summit White 13' 2SS 1LE
-RS, NPP, CAI, ZL1 spoiler,

amory.fitlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:51 AM   #4
111MOTORSPORTS

Drives: 2015 Black rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by chargerfan2 View Post
My heat extractor is looking really dull. I've taken it off and cleaned it but looks faded. Had the hood wrap replaced yesterday and now it really stands out against the new wrap. What do you guys use to clean the extractor to make it look new again or have you just painted it? I'm thinking I might go that route or just replace the vents.
i actually use a really light buffing compound and a orbital buffer to bring back the color on my heat extractor, it seems to last for me! for the wrap I would try Adams polishes VRT.
111MOTORSPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2000 MCSS, 2013 1LS & 68 Camaro SS
Send a message via AIM to ChibiBlackSheep
Are they dull plastic? Mother's back-to-black or VRT would work well on that.

For the matte wrap on the hood, I use Chemical Guys Matte Detailer on my matte stripes, and absolutely love the product. Really gets the stripes clean, and adds UV protectant without making the stripes shiny or oily looking.

2013 Camaro 1LS - Daily Driver
1968 Camaro SS - Show Car
2000 Monte Carlo SS - Paxton Novi Supercharged Project
2008 Impala LT - Because we need at least ONE family car
ChibiBlackSheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #6
2014white2ssrs1le

Drives: 2014 white 2ss rs 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post

For the matte wrap on the hood, I use Chemical Guys Matte Detailer on my matte stripes, and absolutely love the product. Really gets the stripes clean, and adds UV protectant without making the stripes shiny or oily looking.
I can second this statement...love Chemical Guys
2014white2ssrs1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:46 AM   #7
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep View Post

Third for Chemical Guys Matte Detailer. I also use it on my heat extractor and so far it looks great.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:51 PM   #8
MrTwenty6

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
why not just wrap the heat extractor yourself?

3m wrap for that size is fairly cheap and not the most difficult thing to do. I was actually thinking of wrapping it just yesterday.
MrTwenty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #9
chargerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
I've been wondering this too, as well as what works good on the wrap itself. If you don't mind me asking, what did the rewrap cost? I have a blemish on the top edge of the hood and was considering getting it done.

My wife took it in to her work to have a couple of the tires replaced and the service guy noticed a scratch I put on the wrap. I told the wife I was thinking about replacing it myself since I watched the last guy do it. They charged $250 to remove and replace the old wrap. She just surprised me with it when she brought it home. Next time I'm thinking about doing it myself since the material is only about $60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111MOTORSPORTS View Post
i actually use a really light buffing compound and a orbital buffer to bring back the color on my heat extractor, it seems to last for me! for the wrap I would try Adams polishes VRT.
Thanks I will definitely give that a try.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #10
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Local Kmart marked this down from $9 to $2.50 and decided to give it a shot.
Amazing results on hood extractor vent!
Meguiar's Paint Protection Sealant
Attached Images

2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:46 AM   #11
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Hood Wrap Info from 1LE Registry:
"Hood Wrap Care on Camaro 1LE
The 1LE package features a matte black hood graphic manufactured and warranted by 3M. To maintain the appearance of the graphic, hand washing or a touchless car wash is recommended.
Tip: Do NOT polish or wax the graphic. Using polish, wax or any solvent-containing products will discolor the graphic. The hood wrap on this vehicle is not a GM warranty part. Owners are directed to contact their dealer for any warranty claims. The warranty form for this graphic is included in the glove box of the vehicle. Dealers are to arrange an assessment of the claim with 3M.
Original Wraps at: 1-866-944-9727"
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #12
chargerfan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Local Kmart marked this down from $9 to $2.50 and decided to give it a shot.
Amazing results on hood extractor vent!
Meguiar's Paint Protection Sealant
They still have K-Mart where you live? They retreated from the San Diego area years ago. When I was in Vegas a few months back I was surprised to see one there as I was driving around town.