Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 09-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Canada speed limits

Last year there was an on-line petition here in Ontario to get government to raise some highway speeds from current 100 km/hr to 120 km/hr. Recently read in the Ottawa newspaper Ontario government has rejected a speed increase on highways even though a recent study showed in Ontario more traffic deaths resulted in 'distracted drivers' (cell phones / text) than speed.

I have lived in Canada for 11 years and just don't understand the mind think of some politicians. For more than a decade in some US states highway speeds have been (depending on the states) 65 mph (104.6 kph), 70 mph (112.6 kph), 75 mph (120.7 kph). I have driven in the Middle East and Europe, 120 kph posted speed limit not unusual. So why here in Canada are we limited to 100 kph on major highways (about 60 mph)? Money grab for speeding fines? Understand BC has started to raise speed limits on some roads to 120 kph, welcome to the 21st century. The states in the USA with max speed limits of 120 kph statistics indicate higher legal speed limits do not result in more auto crashes on the Interstate road system. German Autoban where parts have no speed limits, studies showed the faster people drive on straight through highways fewer road deaths per mile because driver's tend to be more focused on their driving and not as distracted with cell phones.

Thoughts or opinions?
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #2
Chrispi

Drives: Black on Black
More thoughts for your discussion...

Since you've only lived in Canada for 11 years, it can be understood why you wouldn't know that the 401, the busiest highway in the WORLD... yes, "The busiest highway in the world", wasn't always set at 100km/h.
Back in the 1960's and 1970's the speed limit of most Ontario's highways was 113km/h (70mph).

I'm probably the only guy you've heard of who has a speeding ticket on the 401 for less than 120km/h. I was doing 117km/h at 0400 on a Sunday morning, and found a bored OPP Officer with time to burn. I was driving a Saturn SC1, and there was NO ONE around at the time. I got my ticket, said thank you, and was on my way. Later the same day, 120 km/h in the left lane would have caused an accident due to being hazard and too slow.

The highest speed limit in North America is 140km/h in Texas (Highway 130), and the highest speed limit in Canada is in B.C. at 120km/h.

I'm neither for or against raising speeds on Ontario/Canada highways, as there are many arguments to be had for both...

"A collision at 100 km/h, for example, isn’t four times as bad as one at 25 km/h – it’s 16 times as bad."

"World Health Organization, for example, it’s safer to drive in Germany, home of the fastest highways in the world, than it is in Canada: WHO data shows that Germany’s death rate is 6.9 per 100,000 cars. Canada’s rate is 13."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle18785514/

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post
Last year there was an on-line petition here in Ontario to get government to raise some highway speeds from current 100 km/hr to 120 km/hr. Recently read in the Ottawa newspaper Ontario government has rejected a speed increase on highways even though a recent study showed in Ontario more traffic deaths resulted in 'distracted drivers' (cell phones / text) than speed.

I have lived in Canada for 11 years and just don't understand the mind think of some politicians. For more than a decade in some US states highway speeds have been (depending on the states) 65 mph (104.6 kph), 70 mph (112.6 kph), 75 mph (120.7 kph). I have driven in the Middle East and Europe, 120 kph posted speed limit not unusual. So why here in Canada are we limited to 100 kph on major highways (about 60 mph)? Money grab for speeding fines? Understand BC has started to raise speed limits on some roads to 120 kph, welcome to the 21st century. The states in the USA with max speed limits of 120 kph statistics indicate higher legal speed limits do not result in more auto crashes on the Interstate road system. German Autoban where parts have no speed limits, studies showed the faster people drive on straight through highways fewer road deaths per mile because driver's tend to be more focused on their driving and not as distracted with cell phones.

Thoughts or opinions?
Chrispi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 11:05 PM   #3
backbaconrules

Drives: 2011 LT Black
IMO before we raise the limits we need to raise the education of drivers. We also need to change it so that if you need to renew your license you have to at minimum take the written test again. Far too many people on the roads these days that have been driving for 30-40 or more years but have forgotten some serious safety rules.
backbaconrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:51 AM   #4
camaro500

Drives: 2017 Jaguar F Type R Tuned 498awhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbaconrules View Post
IMO before we raise the limits we need to raise the education of drivers. We also need to change it so that if you need to renew your license you have to at minimum take the written test again. Far too many people on the roads these days that have been driving for 30-40 or more years but have forgotten some serious safety rules.
I totally agree.
Montreal has drivers that are as good as our roads
camaro500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:03 AM   #5
razorz28

Drives: 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Z06
I just drove 9 hours from Frankfurt to Verona and it was a dream. Driver education is far superior. I would love to ship my car here.
2014 Z/28 Black VIN #176
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #6
rock1962

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Think about this, the lower the speed limit the longer you spend on the highway. Therefore for a highway like the 401 that is very busy a higher speed limit would decrease congestion. Each vehicle would spend less time on the road and traffic would spread out. Think of a conveyer, the faster it runs the more spread out the product coming on to it is.
rock1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Tstormers
Tstormers

Drives: Black 2SS/1LE
I think out in between cities you could raise the limit. But I do have to note that I agree with some of the statements above when they say we need stronger training for drivers. Germany has a fairly strict licensing system (from what I have heard). I think we need something like that here. I always thought of an idea to have highway licensing since it is not the same as driving on city streets.

Just my 2 cents.
Tstormers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:11 PM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I think speed limits should be raised, but concurrent with that would be much stricter enforcement of those limits. For the most part around here, if the limit is 50 or 80 you can easily get away with another 10. And on the highway where its 100 chances are slim to nil that you are going to be pulled over for doing 120. So set those at the 'main' limits: 60/90/120. But if you get caught doing 64 in a 60, you shouldn't be surprised when you get a ticket. And those tickets should also carry stiffer penalties than they do now. Thats what I'd like to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbaconrules View Post
Or at least every decade.

And I think there should be some sort of 'virtual training/testing' for drivers. I imagine that approximately 0 drivers did their road test in a snow storm, or in the fog, or on a rainy night ... yet passing the little driving loop with an instructor beside you qualifies you to drive in all those conditions. That doesn't seem right to me.

It wouldn't be all that hard to have a create a virtual driving test in a video game like environment where you can safely be subjected to all sorts of nasty conditions. Rain, snow/ice, fog, any of those + night. It would be invaluable for new drivers to have at least some experience with those things before they're off on their own in a vehicle.

Could also use it to for emergency situations. Blow a tire, something runs across the road in front of you, another car runs a light, and on and on. It wouldn't be perfect, but the alternative right now is either a) listening to someone tell you b) reading it from a book c) guessing what to do the first time it happens to you on the road.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 09:02 PM   #9
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
They were raised on the highway here on the island, from 110-120
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:33 PM   #10
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Have speed limits based on the weather to limit stupidity.

140kph in the dry

120kph in the rain

100kph in the snow

Now lets get out there and put the hammer down
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
abaucom21

Drives: 2011 2LT White, 1966 TBird conv.
Agree with 102SS except perhaps 80 kph in snow to limit stupidity. Of course higher speeds should be adjusted to highway traffic volume. Do not expect a 140 kph limit on roads with stopping school busses (LOL).

Into my 11th year since I moved to Canada. Still have difficulty understanding why so many crashes first time it snows. Why do so many people forget during summer months they need to slow down when it freezes regardless of the posted speed limit?
abaucom21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaucom21 View Post
Agree with 102SS except perhaps 80 kph in snow to limit stupidity. Of course higher speeds should be adjusted to highway traffic volume. Do not expect a 140 kph limit on roads with stopping school busses (LOL).

Into my 11th year since I moved to Canada. Still have difficulty understanding why so many crashes first time it snows. Why do so many people forget during summer months they need to slow down when it freezes regardless of the posted speed limit?
If school buses are stopping on 400 series highways to let students off we have bigger problems than the speed limit
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
Rockhead
Hoser.

Drives: 2018 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell239 View Post
They were raised on the highway here on the island, from 110-120

It's a beautiful thing. I can be in Campbell River lickity split.
Old 10-12-2014, 09:51 PM   #14
Caswell239

Drives: 2011 2ss/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
It's a beautiful thing. I can be in Campbell River lickity split.

Where are you
Caswell239 is offline   Reply With Quote