Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 07-05-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
ender2664
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 2SS
Custom kit

Please correct me if I'm wrong but...
It seems to me that if one is going to be running 5-7psi a kit should be able to be made that is realitively inexpensive.
Isn't there a way to just use the current manifolds to spool the turbo and then just run a pipe from the turbo to the intake manifold?
I'm probably missing something, but it isn't like a 5-7psi kit needs lots of bells and whistles.
Sure that isn't a lot of boost, but I'd drop a few grand on a bare bones kit.
If one doesn't come out I'm going to look up kaylee's skirt and see if one can be done.
ender2664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
E-Ray

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Nightfall Grey
This may help you understand the complexity of all Forced Induction engines.
http://modnoob.com/guide/induction
E-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:27 AM   #3
ender2664
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Ray View Post
This may help you understand the complexity of all Forced Induction engines.
http://modnoob.com/guide/induction
Last time I was involved in making a custom kit it was a civic/crx.
Got some junk yard headers that came together as a nice manifold, a snail, waste gate...etc and had a kit for about a grand.
Yes, I know this isn't a civic or a 90s engine.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:34 AM   #4
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
Careful with the home-brew turbo fabing if it's your first go round. Do you know how much hp the stock shortblock will take reliably if you're boosting into the 15#+ range? It's a system, the whole engine. It's is designed to operate within a certain range of power before you start over reaching the designed capabilities of individual components. Which one will fail first? Get them all right before you lay on the boost.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #5
SpookShow'84
Bump in the night

Drives: '84 Monte Carlo SS, '15 Optima
Sorry, your post cleared that up.
Old 07-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #6
ender2664
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookShow'84 View Post
Careful with the home-brew turbo fabing if it's your first go round. Do you know how much hp the stock shortblock will take reliably if you're boosting into the 15#+ range? It's a system, the whole engine. It's is designed to operate within a certain range of power before you start over reaching the designed capabilities of individual components. Which one will fail first? Get them all right before you lay on the boost.
I wouldn't run more than 7psi on a kit I made and would probably just run 5. I have no intention of taking this motor close to its limits, she is my DD. I'd just like to get a little more power out of her so I know I can reliably beat a vette and Carrara from a roll.
I've beaten them both off the line but it was very close and had I even messed up a little off the line the race would have easily gone the other way.

Besides all that, I have a feeling I'm going to be running that rear mount kit and not making my own. Time will tell.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:43 PM   #7
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
If you are specifically looking at turbos you have to look at the horsepower rating much more than a specific boost number. A turbo that makes 40 pounds of boost on a 2 liter engine would have to work just as hard to make 5 or 6 pounds of boost on the Camaro 6.2 liter motor. "boost" is just a measurement of the restriction to pushing the air into the motor. These LT motors are making a lot of power on just 5 pounds of boost.... 600+ horsepower worth of air moving on just 5 pounds of boost. That is a petty good flowing system. Hopping up a 2 liter 4 cylinder engine is easy, anything over 150hp worth of air is a gain..... you have got to get a serious turbo to feed this 6.2 LT that needs 450 hp worth of air without boost.... I can't see that this going to be done cheap.

Twin turbos rated 300 to 400hp each mounted directly on the exhaust manifold and sharing a common intake tube is the easiest way to get usable power. Ball bearing ceramic, titanium, small housings....all help reduce lag.... but add to the overall cost.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote