Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 06-29-2012, 01:12 AM   #1639
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
We would all want it lower, but the cost of lower would kill the project. I vote for $9.95 struts and $1.99 coils so when we take them off it doesn't matter

The LS7 is the dirtiest of the current V8 from what I can gather. Fuel injection can only do so much for a NA 500HP motor at idle :(
Sometimes, I feel like we (the Z28 hopefuls) are among the last bastions of reason on Camaro5. Then I realize ... we want an LS7 Z28 for something between 45 and 50 grand before the 6th gen arrives ... :(
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 01:22 AM   #1640
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Sometimes, I feel like we (the Z28 hopefuls) are among the last bastions of reason on Camaro5. Then I realize ... we want an LS7 Z28 for something between 45 and 50 grand before the 6th gen arrives, and that every day that passes without word makes the prospect less likely :(
And now the great seer, soothsayer, sage and financial adviser to the Greek government, Carnac the Magnificent. I hold in my hand the envelopes. As a child of four can plainly see, these envelopes have been hermetically sealed. They've been kept in a #2 mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's porch since noon today. No one knows the contents of these envelopes, but you, in your borderline divine and mystical way, will ascertain the answers having never before seen the questions.

Over 105

How old will you have to be to collect Social Security in the new budget?

Horse Hockey

What do you think of the 2013 GT500 brakes?

SEMA 2013

When will Chevrolet announce the LS7 powered 5th Gen Z/28?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #1641
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
maybe the 5.5 we have herd about will be the first engine chose and the direct inject 6.2 could be the z 28 idk. time will tell
Old 06-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #1642
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Carnac just got back from Funk and Wagnels back porch with a letter and it said there will be a LS7 powered Z/28 Gen 5 sendoff.....the letter even had mayonaise on it.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #1643
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Carnac just got back from Funk and Wagnels back porch with a letter and it said there will be a LS7 powered Z/28 Gen 5 sendoff.....the letter even had mayonaise on it.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #1644
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Why? A 2012 Boss 302 LS is $49,990 A 1SS + 1LE + LS7 powered Z/28 should be just the same price and walk all over the 'competition'.
Not to keep going back in circles but essentially an LS7 powered Camaro with 1LE content is likely closer to ZL1 price once it's all said and done.

While the Boss 302 Laguna Seca is about $50k the standard Boss 302 starts at about $43k. That's more 1LE territory.

A lot of development was put into the ZL1. Bringing in a LS7 Z28 near its price point would add further development and certification cost and likely cannibalizes some ZL1 sales.

Personally I’m all for a LS7 Z28. Any Camaro fan would be.

However when GM decided the top Camaro would be ZL1 and then had to choose the more powerful/cheaper LSA to compete with the GT500’s supercharged mil likely killed LS7. And then GM choose to call their road course focused, trickle down from ZL1 tech, BOSS 302 competition, 1LE and then power it with the LS3 was likely the end for Z28 in 5th Gen Camaro.
Not to mention that Chevy trying to get the 1LE approved for SCCA Touring Class rules.
2002 White Camaro Z28 A4
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #1645
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
Not to keep going back in circles but essentially an LS7 powered Camaro with 1LE content is likely closer to ZL1 price once it's all said and done.

While the Boss 302 Laguna Seca is about $50k the standard Boss 302 starts at about $43k. That's more 1LE territory.

A lot of development was put into the ZL1. Bringing in a LS7 Z28 near its price point would add further development and certification cost and likely cannibalizes some ZL1 sales.

Personally I’m all for a LS7 Z28. Any Camaro fan would be.

However when GM decided the top Camaro would be ZL1 and then had to choose the more powerful/cheaper LSA to compete with the GT500’s supercharged mil likely killed LS7. And then GM choose to call their road course focused, trickle down from ZL1 tech, BOSS 302 competition, 1LE and then power it with the LS3 was likely the end for Z28 in 5th Gen Camaro.
Not to mention that Chevy trying to get the 1LE approved for SCCA Touring Class rules.
As political as the SCCA can be getting the 1LE approved for T2 is not going to drain any resources away from the Camaro Development TEAM.

The LS7 has been fit by the Camaro TEAM into multiple 5th Gens for various reasons. This is NOT a new concept that would need significant resources to complete. The LSA was selected because it is an emissions friendly powerful motor. The LS7 is powerful and not emissions friendly. There is a way to resolve that which isn't appropriate to discuss here. If the Camaro TEAM wants to do a LS7 Z/28 I believe they can find a way to get the emissions issues worked out.

SS vs GT
1LE vs BOSS
Z/28 vs BOSS LS
ZL1 vs GT500

They all line up by price and performance.

Vette
Grand Sport
ZO6
ZO6 Carbon
ZR1

The Z06 Carbon is over $90K and the ZR1 starts at $110. I see no reason why a $49,900 Z/28 will hurt ZL1 sales any more than the Z06 hurts ZR1 sales. If we are worried abut protecting ZL1 sales the 1LE should never have been released. I take my base SS and add the 1LE option. Then I walk over to the parts department and order up my ZL1 differential, cooler and lines, my CTS-V calipers and ZL1 front rotors. I have all the hardware under the car I need from GM for $46K. If I didn't have the 1LE I would have had to spend $18K on top of my base SS to get this far. I'll take that all day long over a blower motor ZL1 with MRC that a great driver beat by 2/10s of a second his first day in the car.

Next I sell off my 1LE wheels / tires, coils and struts, front caliper and rotors and last the sway bars. I should net a minimum of $1,750. I add my Forgeline 19x10.5 wheels and 305/30/19/XL RE-11 Bridgestones and a full Pedders Justice kit. I am now in my custom made Z/28 for $57K I head over to Lingenfelter for heads, cam headers, engine oil cooler and tune. I have $70K in my custom Z/28. I have more RWHP than a ZL1. I have a square wheel and tire setup that is ideally suited to a road course. If I drop another $14K I can have this ridiculous track animal that just beat a Porsche Carrera GT on the Road Course and Autocross at Road America.

Autocross

Speed Stop

Road Course

Data Points

Steady State Average Gs Across the Events and Lap Sectors 1.2 Gs. That is the AVERAGE. The theoretical limit on a street tire is 1.3Gs. we saw that number and then some across the events.
Top Speed on a Short Straight at Road America 148 MPH. That is screaming on the short straight. If the L/28 were a street car and not a street car wants to be a race car driven by a hot shoe we would leave the setup almost exactly as it is. Our intent is to still be a street car want to be a race car with even more bad attitude.

I think the ZL1 is a phenomenal automobile. I love the ZL1. The ZL1 is not a L/28 and it is not a Z/28. GM could save us some money by using the cheapest of cheap struts, springs, wheels and tires and sway bars. It would be even better if they installed the LS7, ZL1 diff and cooler and 6 pot ZL1 fronts with the two piece rotors If GM wants to do a complete car we get the full 1LE equipment with the LS7, ZL1 diff and cooler and 6 pot ZL1 fronts with the two piece rotors. The Z/28 is a ZL1 except for the gearing, suspension and the LS7. The only validation of certification required is emission related. The Camaro TEAM simply has to want to do the Z/28 and I KNOW they want to do one

Private Message to the Camaro TEAM: We can do Supercar Coilovers on a production car with no issues regarding ride height. Call me.

If I wanted to be a corporate curmudgeon I could find a 1,000 reasons not to do a Z/28. In my company I spend the bulk of my time looking for ways to make the impossible not only possible, but profitable. I want a Z/28 and so do my buddies here on C5. If you work at GM and are trying to tamp down the Z/28, don't waste your time. We won't stop. If you don't think it is a good idea or don't have the faith that my friend Scott had and has stay around here and watch us make the impossible possible with the 2014 Z/28.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:55 PM   #1646
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
As political as the SCCA can be getting the 1LE approved for T2 is not going to drain any resources away from the Camaro Development TEAM.

The LS7 has been fit by the Camaro TEAM into multiple 5th Gens for various reasons. This is NOT a new concept that would need significant resources to complete. The LSA was selected because it is an emissions friendly powerful motor. The LS7 is powerful and not emissions friendly. There is a way to resolve that which isn't appropriate to discuss here. If the Camaro TEAM wants to do a LS7 Z/28 I believe they can find a way to get the emissions issues worked out.

SS vs GT
1LE vs BOSS
Z/28 vs BOSS LS
ZL1 vs GT500

Vette
Grand Sport
ZO6
ZO6 Carbon
ZR1

The Z06 Carbon is over $90K and the ZR1 starts at $110. I see no reason why a $49,900 Z/28 will hurt ZL1 sales any more than the Z06 hurts ZR1 sales. If we are worried abut protecting ZL1 sales the 1LE should never have been released. I take my base SS and add the 1LE option. Then I walk over to the parts department and order up my ZL1 differential, cooler and lines, my CTS-V calipers and ZL1 front rotors. I have all the hardware under the car I need from GM for $46K. If I didn't have the 1LE I would have had to spend $18K on top of my base SS to get this far. I'll take that all day long over a blower motor ZL1 with MRC that a great driver beat by 2/10s of a second his first day in the car.

Next I sell off my 1LE wheels / tires, coils and struts, front caliper and rotors and last the sway bars. I should net a minimum of $1,750. I add my Forgeline 19x10.5 wheels and 305/30/19/XL RE-11 Bridgestones and a full Pedders Justice kit. I am now in my custom made Z/28 for $57K I head over to Lingenfelter for heads, cam headers, engine oil cooler and tune. I have $70K in my custom Z/28. I have more RWHP than a ZL1. I have a square wheel and tire setup that is ideally suited to a road course. If I drop another $14K I can have this ridiculous track animal that just beat a Porsche Carrera GT on the Road Course and Autocross at Road America.

Autocross

Speed Stop

Road Course

Data Points

Steady State Average Gs Across the Events and Lap Sectors 1.2 Gs. That is the AVERAGE. The theoretical limit on a street tire is 1.3Gs. we saw that number and then some across the events.
Top Speed on a Short Straight at Road America 148 MPH. That is screaming on the short straight. If the L/28 were a street car and not a street car wants to be a race car driven by a hot shoe we would leave the setup almost exactly as it is. Our intent is to still be a street car want to be a race car with even more bad attitude.

I think the ZL1 is a phenomenal automobile. I love the ZL1. The ZL1 is not a L/28 and it is not a Z/28. GM could save us some money by using the cheapest of cheap struts, springs, wheels and tires and sway bars. It would be even better if they installed the LS7, ZL1 diff and cooler and 6 pot ZL1 fronts with the two piece rotors If GM wants to do a complete car we get the full 1LE equipment with the LS7, ZL1 diff and cooler and 6 pot ZL1 fronts with the two piece rotors. The Z/28 is a ZL1 except for the gearing, suspension and the LS7. The only validation of certification required is emission related. The Camaro TEAM simply has to want to do the Z/28 and I KNOW they want to do one

Private Message to the Camaro TEAM: We can do Supercar Coilovers on a production car with no issues regarding ride height. Call me.

If I wanted to be a corporate curmudgeon I could find a 1,000 reasons not to do a Z/28. In my company I spend the bulk of my time looking for ways to make the impossible not only possible, but profitable. I want a Z/28 and so do my buddies here on C5. If you work at GM and are trying to tamp down the Z/28, don't waste your time. We won't stop. If you don't think it is a good idea or don't have the faith that my friend Scott had and has stay around here and watch us make the impossible possible with the 2014 Z/28.

I like what you've done here.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #1647
DanSS24

Drives: Dream Cars in my head

Wishful thinking...but I sure can dream big.
DanSS24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:28 AM   #1648
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:

SS vs GT
1LE vs BOSS
Z/28 vs BOSS LS
ZL1 vs GT500

Vette
Grand Sport
ZO6
ZO6 Carbon
ZR1

Autocross

Speed Stop

Road Course

Data Points

Gosh-golly-gee, Pete. Now NO ONE will read the 1600+ posts (not that many fresh arrivals have/did) and 60-odd pages of reasoned insightful thoughts of the ZEE-lievers...WAY TO GO!

Does Cliff's Notes know about this?!
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #1649
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
Quote:

SS vs GT
1LE vs BOSS
Z/28 vs BOSS LS
ZL1 vs GT500

Vette
Grand Sport
ZO6
ZO6 Carbon
ZR1

Autocross

Speed Stop

Road Course

Data Points

Nice post Pete, well put, you have made a great argument. Count me in on the "we" aspect of it. Let's get 'er done Chevy. I love my ZL1, it's an unbelievable ride, but it's not a screamin tracked out N/A powered Z/28. Until that time, I'll enjoy this ride to the fullest...which I do every chance I get with free time to ride....but I'm waitn' on the Z's return as prescribed. The LS7 is a screamin' demon.., and now is the time for GM and Chevy to pull the trigger on this model, before the body style change..., I feel sales would not be affected across any model and it's return would enhance Chevy's position in the HP market.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #1650
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
Nice post Pete, well put, you have made a great argument. Count me in on the "we" aspect of it. Let's get 'er done Chevy. I love my ZL1, it's an unbelievable ride, but it's not a screamin tracked out N/A powered Z/28. Until that time, I'll enjoy this ride to the fullest...which I do every chance I get with free time to ride....but I'm waitn' on the Z's return as prescribed. The LS7 is a screamin' demon.., and now is the time for GM and Chevy to pull the trigger on this model, before the body style change..., I feel sales would not be affected across any model and it's return would enhance Chevy's position in the HP market.
Yes, yes it would.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 12:28 AM   #1651
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
fyi ... I'm not sure if I've said this publicaly yet but ... at this point I'm between a used SS and a new Z28 (that 'fits' with what I think a Zedder should be)

Hear that GM? If you build a Z28, you will get a sale from me. If you don't, you won't. I shall not be buying a new SS or a new ZL1

*ps* I just noticed that Lowdowns posting style may be rubbing off on me ... lol
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #1652
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
fyi ... I'm not sure if I've said this publicaly yet but ... at this point I'm between a used SS and a new Z28 (that 'fits' with what I think a Zedder should be)

Hear that GM? If you build a Z28, you will get a sale from me. If you don't, you won't. I shall not be buying a new SS or a new ZL1

*ps* I just noticed that Lowdowns posting style may be rubbing off on me ... lol

I don't think they are listening. If they were, why have they been ignoring the Z28 crowd this long?
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
700 hp z/28 in 2014, the greatest camaro