Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-12-2017, 03:21 PM   #71
km9v

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM2SS View Post
181,000 on my 2010 2SS, M6 (LS3). Bought it new. Mobil1 every time it got down to about 10% oil life. Never had an engine problem.
Same here.
2011 2SS/RS LS3 M6 75,5xx miles. Bought 9/2010

I've been running nothing but Mobil 1 synthetic in every engine I own since the 90's
km9v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #72
cowpunk

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE M6
2010 Camaro SS/RS LS3 & M6

91.5k...drove it to Cape San Blas from NE ATL

6.5 hrs one way

Great drive

Thanks
cowpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #73
sspade

Drives: 2015 Camaro LFX A6
Just had a rear axel seal (passenger side) go bad at 27k on the 2.92 open diff.

Anyone else have this issue?

See Problems/Issues thread for pics.
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
sspade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:17 AM   #74
dfurgeson
Retired AF

Drives: 2015 2LT
2015 LT, purchased new
no work needed
CAI
Custom paint
Old 07-13-2017, 11:00 AM   #75
DvKillar

Drives: 2015 Chevy Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
Just had a rear axel seal (passenger side) go bad at 27k on the 2.92 open diff.

Anyone else have this issue?

See Problems/Issues thread for pics.
mine only has 5600 on Odo, but no leaks yet.
DvKillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #76
USMC85
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Just had my 2010 2SS turn 29k this afternoon.
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2017, 09:06 AM   #77
sspade

166k still the record apparently.

Anyone got this beat?

Excited to see someone hit 200k
Cold Air Inductions CAI : Apex Air Scoop / WW Relocate Kit : JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer : Overkill 80mm Throttle Body : Overkill Tuned : MagnaFlow Cat-Back Exhaust : Elite Engineering Catch Can : ZL1 Strut Tower Brace : Custom Tunnel Brace : JPSS Caster Locks : JPSS 32mm Rear Sway Bar : JPSS Billet Radius Arm Bushings : Pegasus Solid Sub Frame Bushings : 1LE Brembo Conversion : B&M 70273 Trans Cooler
Old 08-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #78
bowtiesonly

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss
yeah abm2ss a few posts back said he had 181000 miles on the 2ss ls3
2012 2ss , long tube headers , summit x pipe ,borla mufflers, vararam intake, vmax ported throttle body rdp motorsports dynosteve tuned, BMR trailing arms and bushings elite engineering catch can. [Ifirst camaro ]2012 LT LFX, nytrex wet system ,GPI dyno tune, Injen longtube intake, Dynomax axle back exhaust, Vmax ported throttle body, elite engineering catch can.
bowtiesonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:53 AM   #79
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
This one had 193,400 + before he traded it in...

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435690

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 04:02 AM   #80
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC85 View Post
Just had my 2010 2SS turn 29k this afternoon.
Wow, Another '10 Summit White here in Ct. I thought I was the only one.

Mine has 48,900 miles since 8/21/09. No repairs except one tail lamp bulb.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:46 AM   #81
sspade

Ahh. So call it 194k miles on the 3.6 platform. Not bad.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:19 PM   #82
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
2012 2LT/RS

-27,300mi~
-3.6L LFX/A6
-Stock
-Stock

Runs great, love my Camaro
Old 08-26-2017, 02:44 PM   #83
hammdo
'It's an experiment'

Drives: [COTW 2/09/15] '11 GPI LSA SC Z/LE
211,150 on this one... Just this past July!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502457

-Don
hammdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #84
JamesMN

Drives: 20013 Camaro LS
My first, perhaps only post. I found this thread from google. interesting subject.

2013 Camaro LS 3.6L v6

November 3, 2017 - 350,000 miles (purchased new)

March 18, 2017, rolled 300k miles prior to that

https://screenshot.net/jr87mtl

What I've done to it? -almost nothing. Shamelessly.

*Engine - Rock solid.
*Oil changes - I put in Mobile 1 synthetic and oil filter (10k or 15k rated mobile 1) every 10-12k miles. I usually get an oil-low light around 8k miles now. When checking the dip stick, it's usually bone dry. I dump in a quart of oil and bam, no oil light is gone. Oil practically changes itself.
*Wheel bearings - About 3 sets of wheel bearings on the front. They seemed to last about 100k miles. Last swap around 240k miles went with the unlimited warranty versions from NAPA. Pretty sure they're the same part from the same factory, just 2x the cost. So far, so good.
*about 320k miles, I lost the alternator. Probably because i washed the engine at the car wash using the power wand, and i think the copper ended up becoming corroded over time. Regardless, I was stuck 200 miles from nowhere without an alternator. Ordered the only alternator in the country from 200 miles away -got it, was the wrong part number and it failed in 10 minutes. 2013 has 2 alternators in this engine. I ended up getting a used unit from the junk yard, then figured out my battery was now toast from trying run on low power. That lead to my starter taking a dump. So -one starter (easy fix), one battery (probably my fault), and two alternators (gotta love the junk yard).
* Fuel vent sensor thing on the passenger side above the spark plugs. This little device failed around 60k miles and i've been running on it failed ever since. Makes for starting the engine after filling up at the gas station fun. Cranked for 10 seconds before starting, but it never failed to start. This may have had something to do with the wear on my starter as well, as mentioned above. I recently found out that i could source this part for $40 instead of the few hundred I had seemed to think. It's never been worth a few hundred to me, but this $40 part solved lots of embarrassment at the pump, and now my camaro starts great!
*brakes - many sets of rotors and pads over the past few years. generally cheap ones, but hey -they do the job for 80k miles.
*suspension - well, my front suspension lead to the wheel bearings and brakes going bad prematurely. the camaro would shake violently down the road when I applied the brakes so I did a lot of engine braking and just not slowing down in general. Then I decided I better swap all the front suspension. Bought the new struts from Moog, left the original coils (bad decision there), new control arms upper and lower, new inner and outer tie rods, etc. I drove on that for about 40k miles before I could get it aligned, and turns out the alignment was horrible. Good news is, my tires needed to be changed anyway. The rears... when i had the alignment, the alignment shop said that the adjustments for the rear suspension were all rusted in place, so they didn't make any changes to the rear. That's pumped the brakes on my interest in replacing the rear suspension for now. Bottom line, my car sits low and my headlights blind the people in front of me. Luckily, I usually pass them before that becomes a problem. lol.
* my interior blower fan has been squeeling like a pig since 20k miles. It squeels on low fan settings, 1, 2, 3, etc. The fix? Wait about 280k miles, it stops squealing eventually. No worries there, no reason to tear that dashboard apart!
*new plugs - changed at 140k miles and recently at 340k miles. This last time, I had engine run-on where I'd shut the car off and the engine would just keep on a going. That's cause the plugs were about fried down to the bone, down to the ceramic. Bad bad plugs. Resolved for about $20 bucks i think.
*new engine belt - that was at the alternator swap around 320k miles. it looked like it could go on for another 320k miles, but oh well. swapped it out.
*my master cylinder went bone dry about 10k miles ago as well. Not sure why? first time that's ever happened, and I've never put new calipers on this car either, just swapped all the pads and rotors. In the end, I topped off the DOT3 at the gas station 10k miles ago and no problems since. Strange.
*I did swap the transmission fluid at around 140k miles at the valvoline quick change center. It was in the dead of winter. Whatever they put in there made the shifting of the transmission TERRIBLE. I've ran that ever since. It's gotten better. Haven't touched any of the other fluids.
*speaking of other fluids, when I was changing the oil, my dad checked the anti-freeze dip stick. Turns out that was bone dry too (280k miles ish). We topped that off. You know, that dip stick gets a little crusty at the bottom and frail, it's just plastic. When you don't have fluid, that stuff kind of flakes off and leave a bit of a brownish tint to it. Weird. NEVER had a problem with this thing overheating. And i drive it hard. Isn't that neat? Strange.
*I have so many door-dings now, what the hell does it matter where I park? I think I stopped worrying about it when I accidentally tipped over an appliance dolly and it scratched the entire passenger side door with a 10" scratch of gray paint. The paint buffed out, but the crease in the door is kind of a pain to look at, i still cringe. It's still a good looking car, don't get me wrong, but I no longer park at the entrance of the mall or on the other side of the Target parking lot to protect this thing. People are going to smash their doors into it, it's going to hit the crease -EVERY TIME!. I actually had a guy get out and open his door on my quarter panel and then climb in and out of his SUV making that door go UP and DOWN on my paint. I was in my car at the time. I got out, the dude was clearly drunk, and I had to go. UHhhg. Good thing I'm MN Nice and I was in a hurry. Passive aggressive guys do have a lot to discuss once in a while...

I've driven this thing year round in the snow, in the dead of summer heat, everywhere. It's my daily driver. I don't usually put snow tires on it, but I live about 50 miles from the canada border in norther MN (about 60 miles from the north shore) and we get 12" snow falls every other day sometimes. It climbs through the snow like a machine. I can drift sideways down i35 at 75mph in the left lane and it handles great without the traction control. I've almost slid straight on-into a mailbox because the traction control wouldn't let me floor it to make a curve. Literally, that traction control has put me sideways and almost killed me on winter roads no less than a half dozen times. When you're driving straight down an ice covered road, the right wheel slips a bit, traction control comes on and corrects for that and then gets you sliding sideways -you counter steer for that and get straightened out only for traction control to re-correct and then you find yourself sliding 120 degrees opposite and you keep doing this steer to the left steer to the right counter steer nonsense for 1/2 mile until finally you hit the button and drive like a normal human being again. That's my typical routine in the winter when I forget to shut off that useless traction control. My advice, learn how to drive without it. It will kill you.

Overall, great car. I'm guessing the clutch has about 100k miles left in it. If it makes 500k miles sometime next year, i'll probably replace it preventatively. Sometimes I get a small shutter from a 4-way stop, but it'll go away. Other times when I stomp on it in 2nd gear, the 5-6k RPM range just seems gutless. I don't know if that's clutch related or some MAP sensor thing. I have a K&N air filter that I clean and regen sometimes.
Other than that, I'm sticking to my regime of changing the oil when I darn well feel like it, or when it asks for the 2nd quart of oil. It works for me. I'm probably not going to win any races (although it still feels like it makes the same power as rolling off the showroom floor), and the broken lumbar support in my drivers seat says if that didn't inspire me to sell the car, I'm probably going to keep this one for a while. I haven't managed to hit a deer yet. They're pretty polite up here in northern MN and tend to not run out in front of you often... but they will slow-roll it across the road if you're not careful.

Oh yeah... that trunk lid.... getting some rust bubbles on the inside of the rear under the trunk lid. That electrical wire has also been sandwiched into the rubber gasket near the hinge of the trunk, causing water to seep into the trunk when I'm at the car wash. Last time this happened, I had my log books for a little cessna 150 airplane I own in the trunk of my car in my flight bag. The log books got wet via seepage from the canvas bag, they got moldy, and nearly destroyed the entire value of my airplane. If you've watched airplane repo, you know what i mean. One stupid car wash! -so either I'm never washing my car again, or I'm never putting my log books in the trunk again, or maybe I'll fix that wire and trunk lid gasket. I'm not sure which. Who has time to deal with this crap? I mean seriously. In the end, log books were saved via 1/2 pound of silica beeds, trunk lid still not fixed -it still leaks in car washes.

Hopefully this is an inspiration. I'm a terrible car owner, I know it! How many new cars have I worn out at 150k miles only to still have 3 years of payments to roll over? This is the perfect car for me! lol. I have always been a FORD guy, never again. For as many cars as I've burned out over the past 20 years, this one is the only one I still smile about every time I climb in. It still starts in -60F weather after sitting outside, no garage. You can't make this stuff up, I have pictures.

If there's a dealer that wants to play "guess the mileage" within 150k miles +or- and put a 15k discount on a new camaro, I can get this thing looking like 60k miles. I'm game. I'll be at 400k miles by march though. I have confidence it'll still be going strong. I may be at the point where I can stop changing the oil entirely and just adding a new quart every week or so and swap out the filter. How great would that be? It changes itself!
JamesMN is offline   Reply With Quote