Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Question forged internals for turbo?

so im looking at getting a turbo for my ss. thing is, i heard that the ls3 wasn't made to handle the boost and will not last very long. i also heard stuff about getting forged internals and that they are needed/recommended when adding a S/C or T/C. i think i have a general idea of what that is, but can anyone explain this to me in greater detail? like which internals do you want to replace with forged? what about cost?

what else should be modded when adding a turbo to increase longevity? my car is only 2 and a half months old, and since modding it will void the warranty, i really don't want to risk blowing up the engine so i really want to do this the proper way to avoid that.
Tyler360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:52 PM   #2
PIANOMN
Epic; Winning!

Drives: 2010 1SS ABM
Good question, I've had mine stock for a year and a half, and when I hit 100,000 miles (i'm around 48,500 now) I will start dumping money into performance upgrades including a twin turbo set-up! Subscribed for the great knowledge of information I'm sure someone will post
Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Jchaluja

Drives: ZL1 Camaro
check out Texas Speed or Jannetty racing...there are many others (can't remember)....you'll need internal forged rotating assembly, good set of heads with valve springs....dual fuel pump and you're good to go...if you are doing the build, it is probably $2k-$3k for the internals + $1k for the pump....if not doing the build....about $6k-$7k not including labor to install the engine....plus you'll need a bada$$ tune....you'll need axels and clutch as well; another couple of grand as well....

you can run low boost (5 psi) and it should be fine for a long time....stock!
Jchaluja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #4
PIANOMN
Epic; Winning!

Drives: 2010 1SS ABM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaluja View Post
check out Texas Speed or Jannetty racing...there are many others (can't remember)....you'll need internal forged rotating assembly, good set of heads with valve springs....dual fuel pump and you're good to go...if you are doing the build, it is probably $2k-$3k for the internals + $1k for the pump....if not doing the build....about $6k-$7k not including labor to install the engine....plus you'll need a bada$$ tune....you'll need axels and clutch as well; another couple of grand as well....

personally, I'm not planning on a superbuild, just going to stay around 5 psi (until I hit the lottery!)
Old 07-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Tyler360

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaluja View Post

ok, so what do you want to look for in a piston? crankshaft? rod? besides being forged..

and i'll be doing my own build by the way, otherwise wheres the fun in it? lol

Last edited by Tyler360; 07-29-2011 at 12:36 PM.
Tyler360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
forged, internals, ls3, mods, turbo