Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
kjnylin

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black/Black Auto
Scosche kit with JVC KWKW-V50BT

I finally did it. I wanted a double din unit that I could use my phone apps on. This newly released JVC unit fits the bill perfectly. Mainly I didn't want a second Navigation system when the one on my phone is perfectly good.

So I used the Scosche installation kit through Phastek Performance. $339. (The installation kit would have only been $199 at Crutchfeild, with stereo purchase, but I had credit to use at Phastek.)
http://www.phastekperformance.com/20...o-dash-kit.htm

The head unit is a JVC KW-V50BT, $549.99 at Crutchfield.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KWV5....html?tp=20217

I also added a back-up camera, $149 at Crutchfield. There are cheaper ones, but this is all metal and looks OEM.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_074RVC1...50T.html?tp=83

The JVC KW-V50BT 7" Multi-media system can display most apps from connected MHL (Mini HDMI plug) compatible Android smart phones. I can basically view my Android phone screen and operate the apps right from the touch screen. It will also play your music, Pandora and I Heart Radio through Bluetooth without plugging it in to the cable.

Anyway, the installation was not terrible. I read some horror stories about the Scosche installation kit on other threads and was a little nervous. Perhaps they have improved the firmware and wire harness issues, but I have no problems. Key fob range, HVAC, warning chimes, everything is working perfect. The TP sensors needed to "relearn" but that's no big deal. After installing the Scosche installation kit, installing the gauges panel is a VERY tight fit, at least with the automatic. It helped to take the cigarette lighter out in order to slide it in.

I think the installation looks great and could even pass for OEM. Maybe.

Here are some pics. Enjoy. I don't get on Camaro5 everyday, but if you have some questions, I will try to answer when I can.
Attached Images

Order accepted by GM, 6/15/2009
Picked up at dealer 8/21/2009
UPDATE! Purchased a 2013 ZL1 on 3/14/2015.
kjnylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Nice!
Expect a few weird happenings- TPMS lights come on, then go off for no reason, stearing wheel controls go a bit haywire- then maybe this is just with Pioneer headunits.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
kjnylin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
Nice!
Expect a few weird happenings- TPMS lights come on, then go off for no reason, stearing wheel controls go a bit haywire- then maybe this is just with Pioneer headunits.
Well. I hope nothing unexpected happens. Like I said, they may have improved things. I have been driving with it for a couple days and so far, so good.

Old 05-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #4
LJZ

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS
Were you able to keep the function of the aux and usb port in the center console
LJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #5
opossum

Drives: 2013
Hallo,

Looks nice. I have tryed to install scosche kit in my european camaro my2013. All were ok, but after installing the kit, my TP sensors won`t do anything. I had the message at the DIC, that i could check the TPMS. I have bought the learning utility, but nothing happend. Then i have returned the kit to scosche via RMA. Now i have the Information, that scosche brings a firmware update, the support team has found the bug. They said to me, first it comes an firmware update but in the next time they would change the hardware to. The support is great, ist difficult for me, i'm living in Germany. Sorry for my bad english language.
I would change the oem radio against the scosche. It seems nice, the little touch screen brings all car-settings. Now i'm waiting for the replacement kit ( 10 days), and then i will try again to install the kit and update the firmware. I hope, the TPMS will work.

best regards from Germany
opossum
opossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #6
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjnylin View Post
Well. I hope nothing unexpected happens. Like I said, they may have improved things. I have been driving with it for a couple days and so far, so good.
Does the camera have guild lines? Do you have to remove the bumper cover to in stall the camera?

I believe I saw your car at the Wallies event in Buckly we had last August.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
kjnylin

Aux and USB functions

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJZ View Post
Were you able to keep the function of the aux and usb port in the center console
I don't not have the Aux jack or USB jacks hooked up in the console. However the USB jack could be. The USB has a mini USB connection on the back side so I just need the right cable and I could hook it up. The Aux jack wiring is integrated into the wiring harness so that would be more difficult.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
kjnylin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
Does the camera have guild lines? Do you have to remove the bumper cover to in stall the camera?

I believe I saw your car at the Wallies event in Buckly we had last August.
I'm not sure what guild lines are. Did you mean guide lines? If you look at the last photo in the original post, you'll see the red, yellow and green lines.

One thing I would like to fix is the aiming of the camera. It's a bit too low. The green guide line is less than three feet out. There is no adjustment option, so I may just shim the base of the camera slightly. Just a minor nit though.

You may very well have seen me at Wallies. I plan on being there again this year. See you there!

Old 05-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
Caddyroger

Quote:

If the radio has a aux and a usb port you can use the console ports. You just need to get a 6 ft usb cable with the right connectors. The aux you can get a connector at Radio shack and solder to the car aux board and run a 6 ft cord it it. That is what I did.

Last edited by Caddyroger; 05-04-2014 at 09:55 PM.
Caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:16 PM   #10
Caddyroger

Quote:
I'm not sure what guild lines are. Did you mean guide lines? If you look at the last photo in the original post, you'll see the red, yellow and green lines.

One thing I would like to fix is the aiming of the camera. It's a bit too low. The green guide line is less than three feet out. There is no adjustment option, so I may just shim the base of the camera slightly. Just a minor nit though.

You may very well have seen me at Wallies. I plan on being there again this year. See you there!
Yes I meant guide lines. I guess I did not pay that much intention to the pictures or I would have seen them. I might pass on that camera if it not adjustable.
I planning being at wallies this year also.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #11
LJZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyroger View Post
If the radio has a aux and a usb port you can use the console ports. You just need to get a 6 ft usb cable with the right connectors. The aux you can get a connector at Radio shack and solder to the cad aux board and run and ft cord it it. That is what I did.
Can you give me the name of the connector and let me know how you did the soldering connection. Thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 09:37 PM   #12
LJZ

Quote:
I don't not have the Aux jack or USB jacks hooked up in the console. However the USB jack could be. The USB has a mini USB connection on the back side so I just need the right cable and I could hook it up. The Aux jack wiring is integrated into the wiring harness so that would be more difficult.
Did you compromise any other features besides the pdim after the install like the hud?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:13 PM   #13
Caddyroger

Quote:
Can you give me the name of the connector and let me know how you did the soldering connection. Thanks
I believe this is the one I used for the usb cable. Double check the the one in the console and make sure it is a mini usb. The car usb just disconnect like a regular usb cable.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_i...seq=1&format=2

For the aux there is a connector that connect the wiring harness to the car aux plug. I bought a stero plug from radioshack and a test cable. I pluged that in and used ohm meter to test which was the pos or the neg on the aux board. I then soldered the broad to a pig tail. You can use the one you made to which is the neg or positive post. You just need to buy 6 ft extension cord.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
1sikss

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
So how does the head unit sound vs stock?
and does it display the phones navigation on the screen?
1sikss is offline   Reply With Quote