Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-20-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Old 05-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #16
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
yes the stock BA is a train wreck lol!
nice gif
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #17
Ehmsea

Drives: 2013 2SS RS Hurst NPP
Nothing is quite as subjective as sound...but, those that are on the "the BA system sucks" wagon...what are your eq settings? I had read thru countless postings of how crappy this system is where people were even removing the center speaker. Then come to find out they added dB to the peaks instead of removing dB from the valley in the equalizer. Then that was over-driving the "weak link" which was the center speaker.

I am NOT any sort of audiophile, but this system sounds pretty good to me. Good enough that I will not be looking to sink $ into the sound system anytime soon anyway...

Obviously, this system is not for everyone, some will truly want a kick-arse system, but I think it is pretty good...

let the beatings begin...

CAI Intake w/washer relocation and race scoop
Ported Throttle Body (Polished)
Kooks LT stepped headers 1-3/4 to 1-7/8
High Flow Cats
Livernois Motorsports Stage 2c Cam Package
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKXyCyBh9BU

Hill Start Assist Delete
Ehmsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
KOKOPUFF
FLCFA

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel Tintcoat 2LT/RS
I swapped mine out as pretty quickly. Amplifier, speakers, added a subwoofer every thing. I was not too impressed by the cardboard cones vs the plastic alpine ones i have. Not to mention the rear 6x9 only had one screw holding it in.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #19
Neriah

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
There was a Bulletin out on our A/Cs. bring it to the dealer for a free fix! Mine gets instantly ICE COLD.

The system... I agree, but thats what the aftermarket is for. I wasnt happy with the power... so I went aftermarket cam. I wasnt happy with the looks. So I went aftermarket with exterior mods.... Just like the interior... Happy Modding!
Full BMR bushings and suspension.
Neriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:47 AM   #20
Kiwi_Camaro_2010

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neriah View Post
There was a Bulletin out on our A/Cs. bring it to the dealer for a free fix! Mine gets instantly ICE COLD.
Hi Neriah
Just wondered if you knew more about the bulletin for A/C as I live in New Zealand & would have to sort A/C myself if I knew what the fix was. Unless they are just low on gas from factory.
Camaro 2SS/RS 2010 / L99 / Whipple SC /Dynatech Headers & Catts (gutted), ID 850 injectors, ZL1 fuel pump +BAP & ADM pump controller, ZR1 3Bar MAP, Dual Elite Catch Cans, 91 octane ,Eibach sway bar kit , Driveshaft loop, oil cooler delete, ADM dual gauges (AFR/Boost) LC1 wideband controller, D/D, ARP stud kit ,Callies forged slayer crank 3.622", callies ultra rods, wiseco forged pistons, L99-LS3, rollmaster double row steel timing set & comps cam timing cover,blower cam 630/660 lift,3/8 pushrods, pac gear 8deg, yella terra ultra lites. LS9 head gaskets. Texas speed custom oil pump. Asm by me.
Kiwi_Camaro_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:56 AM   #21
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
The amp is the weak point. Steve at ******** can get you an amp with harness that will fit right in stock amps place and run the BA system without the center channel and it kicks ass. Best speakers in the world will sound like CR@P with bad power. Good clean power will make a world of difference.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:10 AM   #22
Skexies
Nobody of Interest

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS A6 'vert "Ra"
I had a decent sounding (for the time) stock stereo in my 84 pontiac 6000 ste...
*insert pause* doing some math, I guess that excludes me from being young...

Frankly, the car doesn't lay down gold tracks below the tires, nor do I vote straight ticket. I picked up the car because there is much that I really love about it. I can fix the parts I don't love. One of the things I love is how much it is like an erector set vs. some other (overly) highly integrated sports cars.

As for audio, hearing folks blasting their iphone/pod/pad at max volume gives me a headache it sounds so bad. But that is me, everyone has their own favorite foods and the ones they can't stand to even smell. Frankly, I have avoided purchasing cars because of poor factory audio systems. If someone took the time to spec out the amp, speakers and head unit, you could compare #'s to #'s and I don't think anyone will be surprised. The market expects good infotainment (at least the option for it) in anything other than econoboxes.

In all fairness, the BA system is not a 2,000$+ upgrade as some other mnfr's premium stereos. I wish I didn't have to horse with replacing it. I'd prefer a decent sounding factory system... even at 2000$ more in an option.

In today's age of technology, there is no reason my car should sound like a cheap boom box at your local EverythingMart.
Skexies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #23
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

good posts thanks for the info on the AC did it affect 13s as well?
530/520 SAE
Old 05-21-2013, 08:25 AM   #24
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
WTF? Far from butthurt. I was just yankin' chains. You make too many assumptions motorhead. Which leads me to an assumption about you. I thought someone might pick up on the smilie face. Guess not.

My point, to which was CLEARLY missed, was that GM systems have sucked forever, even though someone in 1982 would have killed to have today's sucky radios. That's why I said you have to put it into perspective. It's the SAME tune, pun not intended, that everyone was complaining about back then that Ford and Chrysler had better radio systems than GM cars. Which was, and apparently still is, true. But I certainly don't buy any brand of car due to what kind of radio system it has or doesn't have. That's like number 43 on my top 10 reasons list.

(BTW, my 82 Z28 stickered at a tad over 13K,which is equivalent to about $33K in todays dollars. But it even had the "premium" ERS [extended range system] that was apparently better than the even crappier standard radio)

Being pizzed off more about a stereo system lack of quality than the A/C system not working just sounds a bit out of priority to me.
Sorry your smiley didn't make me think your comment was a joke by reading the rest of your post. Also, I believe that you missed the OP's point by post you made about what old cars stereos sounded like. His point was that he heard a Chrysler 200's sound system ,which is a new carand it sounded better than our Camaros. The point is that there are cars these days that have sound systems that sound much better than ours and cost much less. That frustrates me too. I don't believe that the OP's complaint is unfounded.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:28 AM   #25
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
I listen to music at a reasonably volume, I have my equalizer settings all set relatively low, I think the audio system sounds fine. Sure it could be better, but there's always aftermarket. Upgrading the audio system is a lot less expensive than most mods we can do for our cars.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #26
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
I listen to music at a reasonably volume, I have my equalizer settings all set relatively low, I think the audio system sounds fine. Sure it could be better, but there's always aftermarket. Upgrading the audio system is a lot less expensive than most mods we can do for our cars.
not if done right..
a good 4 channel amp alone is about 700 bucks..
FARK another 120
OEM Speaker replacements and harnesses easily 900 for a decent and not over the top speaker. example http://********.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=424
sub 120 bucks
box another 150 bucks
Amp for sub another 200+ bucks.
remote gain 50 bucks..

general install needs up to 100 bucks.

and this is a VERY basic job nothing flashy not show quality just fixing GMs short comings with a new amp and replacement speakers and a stealth sub

I could spend 1000s on a GOOD audio install far more than I did getting my cam.
530/520 SAE
Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #27
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
not if done right..
a good 4 channel amp alone is about 700 bucks..
FARK another 120
OEM Speaker replacements and harnesses easily 900 for a decent and not over the top speaker. example http://********.com/product_info.php...roducts_id=424
sub 120 bucks
box another 150 bucks
Amp for sub another 200+ bucks.
remote gain 50 bucks..

general install needs up to 100 bucks.

and this is a VERY basic job nothing flashy not show quality just fixing GMs short comings with a new amp and replacement speakers and a stealth sub

I could spend 1000s on a GOOD audio install far more than I did getting my cam.
It's all subjective, what's just good to you would probably blow me away.

Also you mention a cam, I'm no mechanic, if I had a V8 and wanted it cammed, I'd be taking it to a shop to have the work done. So you factor in that, or most any other engine modifications that I couldn't perform because my lack of knowledge and tools, and you then compare that to installing audio equipment, I could do that. For me, more serious engine mods I would have to factor in labor. Something like replacing speakers, running wires, etc, I could do. In that aspect, audio upgrades would be cheaper to me than engine or body upgrades/mods.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #28
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
My wife just got a base model toyota tundra truck. She replaced the stock head unit with a JVC and it sounds a million times better than my car haha.

I was pretty bummed.