Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 01-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #1261
DieselAries1

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
True but even those that aren't can still become more powerful than most by applying the principles and addressing their weaknesses instead of ignoring them.

And true WS isn't geared toward "looking pretty" but if you truly apply the principles with things like the extra workouts, GPP work, sled dragging, prowler pushing unless you are a big dude (242 +) you will look good. Bodybuilder good no....but good.

I don't believe in overtraining either.....just not being in shape to lift....most don't understand this.

Curious as to why you think the WS system is the most dangerous in the long run? And what aspects are you referring to as dangerous? (The training principles, the exercises, the gear, the drugs, etc). On those lines yeah to each their own....use steroids your call but not for me personally....use gear...I would suggest it especially if you are going to continue to train heavy as you get older.

And I don't recommend them to everyone either. Only those who state they want to get stronger.
I just wouldn't have anyone just starting or without say maybe 2 years experience in training apply the power movements such as free squats deads. Maybe light dead lifts would be acceptable but nothing drastic. New guys already tend to lift with drastic spastic movements which put joints and muscles at risk of injury. It would just be my preference for a newbie that was paying me 75-150 and hour. I would look at the longevity of my client is all. I'm sure it would build strength no dbout. Just appears to be for the more seasoned lifter. New years is already bad enough with douche bags trying to outlift me lol
DieselAries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #1262
DieselAries1

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I don't think I've ever been called a pencil neck before, now if you posted Richard Cranium , that I've heard before in reference to me.
I laughed at it myself too. I havn't heard names like that since the Barbarian brothers lol
DieselAries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:40 AM   #1263
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAries1 View Post
I laughed at it myself too. I havn't heard names like that since the Barbarian brothers lol
If you didn't laugh your way to serious and need help.

From what I did read about westside they themselves recommend a solid basic foundation in weight training first, they do start beginners or intermediates out differently, if they didn't, it would just be plain irresponsible.
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:45 AM   #1264
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
Quote:
I would hope commen sense someone would not just do squats every day. When I say no such thing as overtraining I refer to doing one muscle group once a week. Such as myself. When precontest it's 7 days straight with no time off for months on end. This allows me a full 4days recovery approximately before working the muscle out directly again as secondary muscles will take an indirect workout on some days due to compound motions.
The Smolov Program requires you to squat multiple days per week, BUT, that's all you can really do.
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #1265
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Your right, I've not read 20 yrs worth and have no intensions to. I have no interest in that type of training, again you are right in that I am trying to achieve a leaner more natural look as well as building strength which I am also doing so I tend to read more along those lines. If you think that performing full body lifts such as squats, deadlifts, bench presses, rows etc. aren't effective for building strength and mass do me a favor, rather than post a link to 20 yrs worth of insight from the westside gym tell me why you think not. I'll be more than happy to read and discuss that.
That's the difference between you and I. Ever since I was 15 years old (almost 27 years ago) sitting on the toilet reading a local newspaper article about a guy named "Peanut" weighing 123lbs and benching 275 it's all that's interest me. Picking up and moving heavy things. Really looking back I've failed miserably with only a geared 3x BW squat, a 2.5x BW bench and deadlift, and a raw 2.5x BW squat and DL, and a 2x BW bench. I can tell you if I knew then what I know now it would have turned out differently.

For sure the lifts you listed build strength.....but there is so much more to it than just doing those lifts if you want to be really strong.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #1266
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
I just wouldn't have anyone just starting or without say maybe 2 years experience in training apply the power movements such as free squats deads. Maybe light dead lifts would be acceptable but nothing drastic. New guys already tend to lift with drastic spastic movements which put joints and muscles at risk of injury. It would just be my preference for a newbie that was paying me 75-150 and hour. I would look at the longevity of my client is all. I'm sure it would build strength no dbout. Just appears to be for the more seasoned lifter. New years is already bad enough with douche bags trying to outlift me lol
Always a risk of injury being in the gym.

But yes form and understanding what muscles to use should be employed first. But the system/principles works for everyone (even a 40 year old woman who has never touched a weight before) because as you probably know a the WS system is based off percentages of a 1 rm. Doesn't matter if you squat 100 or a 1000. In addition a majority of the WS system is spent addressing weaknesses which should in turn lead to less injury.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 01-02-2014, 11:54 AM   #1267
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

And with that I am off to the gym.

Don't really know what I am going to do...calf hurts, shoulder hurts,....But I didn't go at all yesterday and I am getting the shakes.

Maybe I'll tan. Does that count?

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 01-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #1268
kevint

Drives: 2013 1SS
kevint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #1269
2nd/5th Gen

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS
6 miles on treadmill this morning, and then basketball tonight.

Tomorrow is back and shoulders.

"If there's a new way, I'd be the first in line, but it better work this time"
2nd/5th Gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:23 PM   #1270
CFD

Quote:
That's the difference between you and I. Ever since I was 15 years old (almost 27 years ago) sitting on the toilet reading a local newspaper article about a guy named "Peanut" weighing 123lbs and benching 275 it's all that's interest me. Picking up and moving heavy things. Really looking back I've failed miserably with only a geared 3x BW squat, a 2.5x BW bench and deadlift, and a raw 2.5x BW squat and DL, and a 2x BW bench. I can tell you if I knew then what I know now it would have turned out differently.

For sure the lifts you listed build strength.....but there is so much more to it than just doing those lifts if you want to be really strong.
I've never argued that there is not more to it than just those lifts. I have not been into this for more than a few years but have done a bit of reading and research myself. I have many well written programs that I will do at some point, a small list would be basic 3 day splits, 4 day splits, as mentioned before ,Individualization of Mass Gaining by Charles Poliquin, 8 sets of 8 by Vince Grandola , 5x5 by Glenn Pedulay and many more.

Most of these are based on "the old way" ( I actually like that term) but have been updated to include a newer approach

This is why I suggest people follow a well constructed program that includes the above mentioned lifts as the foundation for building strength. I don't post specific programs as I am only familiar with what I have followed other than readings.

When someone who is not accomplished at this or is wanting to start out I often suggest a 5x5 program as from my experience yields excellent results especially for beginners and is often suggested by trainers who I've had contact with as an excellent foundation. I don't think anyone that uses a 5x5 program will not show very good gains in strength, as well as a good learning tool in learning proper form, once that has happened expanding to a more advanced program is in order

Many programs I have read I have not attempted for several reasons, mainly I do have physical limitations that prevent me from performing certain exercises, another reason the westside method doesn't appeal to me, as well as the fact I'm still what I would consider a beginner. I'm also hoping that, before I get to old, some of these limitations I still have will be overcome and that is my main goal as well as strength and being lean and healthy. I'll be 59 in a few weeks, to set goals of squatting or deadlifting serious weight like some of you younger guys is not only foolish but a recipe for disaster. But as I said, if I can keep adding a few small plates every few workouts I'm doing great in my book.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #1271
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Tried out the Sligshot, and really like the way it holds your form, and it's almost like somebody grabbing the bar and helping you out. Hubby added 20Lbs to his lift. We've been working out for 30 yrs, in our small basement gym, and never really tried to get big/huge we just work out to stay in shape. That being said; the only difference today is the amount of weight has decreased. No more real heavy lifting. Use to squat 265, I'm like long lanky, 5'6" 110Lbs, very small frame, wear a size 0 or 2, now it's more maxing out with body weight. Hubby same thing, doesn't want to chance an injury, you just don't recuperate like when your young. But he's almost 60, still has a six pack, and his shape has been pretty much exactly the same for the past 30 years.

To each their own, everyone has different goals. Hubby likes low reps and I like hi reps. For the ladies looking for a really great butt, lunges, lunges, lunges! I do in one set 64 reps on each leg, so a total of 128 reps with 60 pounds on the curl bar behind my neck/shoulders. Then plenty of stretching. Love to do push-ups, on the decline, put my feet on a bench and use dumbbells to get good and low. Oh, and dips, they really accentuate the waist because it helps get that "V" shape, that with lat pull downs!
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:46 PM   #1272
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
I'll be 59 in a few weeks, to set goals of squatting or deadlifting serious weight like some of you younger guys is not only foolish but a recipe for disaster.
You keep bringing up your age and past health problems. Founder of westside last time he lifted in a full meet (I think) was 4 years older than you, has had more tendon tears than can probably count, a broke back, been dead for 4 minutes, and a bunch of other things lol....just saying...

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/13639

CFD if you never ever read anything else I ever post read this article....don't skim....actually read....

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...estside_wisdom

It's not to long and is a summary, cliff notes version, of WS training.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 01-02-2014, 01:59 PM   #1273
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Talking about the slingshot and Mark Bell...

Guess who he trained under?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Bell_(powerlifter)

Just sayin....

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 01-02-2014, 03:07 PM   #1274
CFD

Quote:
You keep bringing up your age and past health problems. Founder of westside last time he lifted in a full meet (I think) was 4 years older than you, has had more tendon tears than can probably count, a broke back, been dead for 4 minutes, and a bunch of other things lol....just saying...

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/13639

CFD if you never ever read anything else I ever post read this article....don't skim....actually read....

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_...estside_wisdom

It's not to long and is a summary, cliff notes version, of WS training.
Well now that I have read this, I've read similar methods of training before, it is a very common sense approach, perhaps the authors of my reads have modeled them off of westsides philosophy, perhaps not but I still can say it is not what I'm interested in. Not sure why you don't understand that.

I do bring up my age and past injuries because unfortunately they do restrict me, it's a fact, My left foot, which was screwed together and pinned for many years has limited range of motion, it was almost removed several times as they thought it was necessary. Through my stubbornness and persistence I still have it, I have only pursued goals of fitness and weight training for about three years, and although, as you put it, I'm a weak pencil neck lol, I've gone from 240-165 as my first goal, fat loss, then with training from a gimp to someone who most people would have no clue of the extent of my injuries. Then, as a strength training goal, I've gone from 165 to a fairly lean 180 and from not being able to squat 1/2 my body weight to 1.5x my body weight and steadily improving, during that time I've had another motorcycle crash at speeds upward of 100 that resulted in months of recoup time , as well as numerous stitches which have led to some set backs. Now, perhaps if I was training under a coach or even at the westside gym my progress would be greater but that doesn't matter to me as for someone who has no clue what there doing I'll stick to my way, it has served me very well. Now there are many guys like the owner of westside who have overcome obstacles, there are also many bodybuilders and powerlifters in my age group who are quite impressive in size and strength and that's great but my goals are very clear to me, In general I am looking to stay lean and healthy and maintain a decent quality of life, I'm very successful in this goal despite physical limitations, I don't use them as excuses, you've never heard me say my ankle is swollen and painful so I'm not going to squat today, or one of my hernias is very painful so I'm not going to hit the gym today, you have heard me ask for alternative exercise I can do so as not to injure myself, I'm a stubborn prick but my no means am I an idiot. I'm still in the gym making progress , I still push myself to overcome them in a safe way and am accomplishing that as well and that's what I'm concerned with.

I'm not by any means downplaying the westside gym accomplishments but there training methods are not something I can perform nor do I have a wish to, I have goals and they are different than that. My goals are very realistic, I'm not in a position where I can afford any set backs due to injury, If I don't work, I can't eat or support my son, so why you seem to keep trying to change my way of thinking is beyond me, I am doing what I think is in my best interest and that's all there is to it.

With all this said, let's stop beating a dead horse and move on to more constructive conversation as this is, other than entertainment value for those following along, totally useless and it's obvious that you're as pigheaded as I am. We'd probably make good training partners because after talking with you my blood flows like a river and if I could avoid throwing weights at you I'd take my frustration out on the bar. lol