Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #1
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
WTF.. why does our BA premium sound so bad even compared to other BA systems?

OK I already knew it wasn't a great system having been using it for 4 months now.

but this weekend the beast went in for paint correction and opticoat so we got a rental car.
That car was a 2013 Chrysler 200 mildly loaded with their version of the BA premium system with a CD and SirisXM #1 the satellite quality was much better much clearer and fewer drops.

but the sound/speaker quality holy crap...
This cars system blows our system into the dirt..
wtf.. a car that cost many many 1000s less and the BA system sounds exactly like a premium system should.
plenty of bass almost sounded like there was an 8 stashed in the car somewhere, and CLARITY and no distortion even when blasted. and all this out of what appears to be a 4 speaker system. (2 on dash 2 6x9s on the rear ledge)

Is this what I can expect if I change out the factory amp? is that the whole problem? or our our speakers just that crappy?

I am livid at how badly the system in our cars is especially now that I've heard BA speakers in another car and they do have great range volume and clarity why doesn't ours?

and don't even get me started on the Air Conditioning in the SS it never ever gets really freezing cold in the SS and it takes it time to get cool.
this car within 30 seconds from a cold start the AC is freezing us out.
and it has the temp hold feature I miss from my Infiniti we well.

Oh well minor rant..
gonna have the dealer check the AC for charge for sure.

but the system really pissed me off.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Skexies
Nobody of Interest

Drives: 2012 2LT/RS A6 'vert "Ra"
I knew the sound system was a joke when I bought the car. I knew I was going to have to fix it but, I wanted the car.
Skexies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Jrichards73

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Victory Red
I have the BA system in the Grand Cherokee as well and it sounds a thousand times better. To the point I have not even entertained the idea of messing with it. I place the blame on the head unit as I see no discernible difference in the speakers themselves. As to the camaro I replaced speakers and amplifiers and it still suffers. So again, I blame the head unit. I am waiting for solution better than the current metra or scosche kits. Wish I had not wasted the money on the speakers and amps at this point as all I have done is made it louder, not better.

Updates: BTR Stage 2 VVT Cam Kit w/Smith Brothers Trunnions, Fluidampr, RX catch can, B&M Trans pan mod, Kooks Black Headers, Borla S-tunes, Eibach Multi-Pro-R2 coilovers and Swaybars, BMR Full Bushing kit with Toe and Trailing arms, RB Rotors w/EBC Pads, GForce 1400 Axles (now on order). AVH-X5800BHS in Scosche GM5201AB.
Jrichards73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:49 PM   #4
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
If you want bad azz sound, then go aftermarket.

When I was young, we had to endure some of the crappiest sounding factory radios in history. In comparison, you'd swear that my then-new 82 Z28 stereo had that wind up vinyl record player with the sound horn on it.

I should get a time machine and make you go back to the 80s when the factory systems TRULY sucked.

They've made leaps and bounds in the stero department. So be thankful they at least made it halfway up the hill. It's all in perspective.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
Aqua_Blue_SS

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post

When I was young, we had to endure some of the crappiest sounding factory radios in history. In comparison, you'd swear that my then-new 82 Z28 stereo had that wind up vinyl record player with the sound horn on it.

I should get a time machine and make you go back to the 80s when the factory systems TRULY sucked.

They've made leaps and bounds in the stero department. So be thankful they at least made it halfway up the hill. It's all in perspective.
Well, that escalated quickly.

Back then your weren't paying 35k plus for a car either.
Aqua_Blue_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
crashprime

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS10's $ponsor View Post
Well, that escalated quickly.

Back then your weren't paying 35k plus for a car either.
Back then minimum wage was $3.35, gas was $1.30 a gallon, and that car was $11,000.

Inflation my friend.

That same $11,000 in '82 had a buying power of ~$27,000 in today's dollars. Pretty close considering all the safety bullshit added onto these things, all the computers running stuff, and the fact that they're considerably more powerful and efficient.
crashprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post

Another case of someone getting but hurt because they can't stand to hear that their precious camaro may not be perfect. Lighten up Franics. He wasn't comparing old cars to his camaro ,but a new car that cost a lot less then ours. Maybe you're happy with how the camaro's system sounds ,but many of us aren't. Step out of that GM box you live in sometime and you will see that there is room for improvement in our rides. Chrysler systems always sounded better than GM systems for the most part. I'm sure there are a few exceptions though. I do like Bose system in my 2500 LTZ better than my ZL1.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
WTF? Far from butthurt. I was just yankin' chains. You make too many assumptions motorhead. Which leads me to an assumption about you. I thought someone might pick up on the smilie face. Guess not.

My point, to which was CLEARLY missed, was that GM systems have sucked forever, even though someone in 1982 would have killed to have today's sucky radios. That's why I said you have to put it into perspective. It's the SAME tune, pun not intended, that everyone was complaining about back then that Ford and Chrysler had better radio systems than GM cars. Which was, and apparently still is, true. But I certainly don't buy any brand of car due to what kind of radio system it has or doesn't have. That's like number 43 on my top 10 reasons list.

(BTW, my 82 Z28 stickered at a tad over 13K,which is equivalent to about $33K in todays dollars. But it even had the "premium" ERS [extended range system] that was apparently better than the even crappier standard radio)

Being pizzed off more about a stereo system lack of quality than the A/C system not working just sounds a bit out of priority to me.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Sorry that my priorities are different than yours. In my muscle car windows and sunroof is used much more than ac.
Where as my stereo is used constantly.
Coming from a Bose stereo in the Infiniti I am very disappointed in the sound.
In that car the only thing that had to be.upgraded was the sub. Added that and had amazing sound.

Btw I beg to differ on the 80s cars having bad systems.
My 84 Vette had the Delco Bose in it and sounded great back then.

The 200 had a great sounding stock system if I had that I'd just install a sub and be done.

With the camaro I've heard many people say as was posted above that you.basically have to rebuild from the head unit up to speakers and amp and sub.

Just mildly frustrated is all.
I love my sounds in my car.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
530/520 SAE
Old 05-19-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
kevin1106

Drives: 2015 ZO6 3LZ Stage 2 A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Another case of someone getting but hurt because they can't stand to hear that their precious camaro may not be perfect. Lighten up Franics. He wasn't comparing old cars to his camaro ,but a new car that cost a lot less then ours. Maybe you're happy with how the camaro's system sounds ,but many of us aren't. Step out of that GM box you live in sometime and you will see that there is room for improvement in our rides. Chrysler systems always sounded better than GM systems for the most part. I'm sure there are a few exceptions though. I do like Bose system in my 2500 LTZ better than my ZL1.
my 2013 ram 1500 4x4 Laramie system is way way way better than the system in my 2013 ZL1!!!

My ZL1 system does sound good though... Just not as good as my ram.
kevin1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
J-ROD-210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
I disconnected my center channel speaker on dash and yup sounds better to me.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 PM   #12
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
i'm content with the ba in my car, but it is not aftermarket quality, but good enough i ain't going to screw with it
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #13
jhiiidoc

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SLP Supercharged
Stock amp sucks...quick and affordable fix is FARK harness and QUALITY 4 channel amp upgrade...makes all the difference while maintaining the stock hu...if or when you make the jump to a new hu, you'll hear another sizeable change in sound quality again...

But you can be sure that once you make the amp change, your going to want to boost the bass to balance the minds and highs that are now being pumped by the stock speakers...

Just sayin'
jhiiidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiiidoc View Post
Stock amp sucks...quick and affordable fix is FARK harness and QUALITY 4 channel amp upgrade...makes all the difference while maintaining the stock hu...if or when you make the jump to a new hu, you'll hear another sizeable change in sound quality again...

But you can be sure that once you make the amp change, your going to want to boost the bass to balance the minds and highs that are now being pumped by the stock speakers...

Just sayin'
This and the ST stealthbox setup are on my list for sure.
hope it gets it where I want it.

thanks for the feedback.
530/520 SAE