Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V6

Old 05-17-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
I would hope that if the management system went bad, zex would replace it for free. Because I believe mine could be defective.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:50 PM   #16
Ovenmitt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 RJT 1SS
Send a message via AIM to Ovenmitt
ZEX uses a funky electronic nitrous box that has both solenoids, a WOT(tps) switch, and a relay all built-in. It makes for simpler plumbing/wiring, but is in general a pain in the ass because if you have any issues, it's harder to diagnose/disassemble individual components. Great beginner system, but not for anyone who ever plans to add to their system.

I'm fairly certain NOS doesn't make a complete wet kit for $300, so that's kind of a moot discussion.

I like/use/prefer/recommend Nitrous Outlet products myself.
Ovenmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #17
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
you want a window switch as well. the zex one can be set up to start spraying in second or third gear. nos in first is sure to bounce off the limiter without some serious traction. you also want the nos to stop spraying just before the gear change.
hence, limiting activation to say eg. 3200-5800 rpm, but the zex MNU needs to see a WOT condition.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #18
HDRS
Fastest V6

Drives: 2010 CGM 2LT/RS 06 G6 GTP conv.
OK quick video of my set up sorry it was dark and windy and don't flame me for calling the rocker panel the rocker arm.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:24 PM   #19
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
I would hope that if the management system went bad, zex would replace it for free. Because I believe mine could be defective.
I was a little curious about yours with the problems it has because others have been able to run the Zex with good/great success. If you remember though, MaxKamai(?) had the first v6 on here with the nitrous kit. It was a Zex. His first box had to be replaced as he took it to the track and the first run on the juice he ran slower than without. The fuel was opening up, the nitrous wasn't, so when it was supposed to be running on the juice it was just dumping lots of extra fuel.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:30 PM   #20
jeff4946

Drives: 2010 RS 2LT
I love my Zex system... I have no issues with it. The nitrous managment system works perfectly, and you can set the window switch to skip any gear you want, if it is armed from a dead stop. If you select it to skip first gear, and for some reason wanted to arm it from a rolling start, it doesnt distinguish first gear from third, fourth, or any gear. It just skips from the first gear it sees from time of arming. So good if your at the drags, but would set it to spray all gears if you were .... not ... dragging... or , whatever. If you were wanting bigger than say, a 125hp shot, I would probably beef up more than just the system. like , the whole bottom end.
K&N Cai, BSR Ported intake, MBRP catback, BBK long tubes, VMax throttle body, 3.73 SS gears, Zex nitrous 125hp shot, window switch, purge,remote bottle opener, bottle heater, Trifecta tune, Hurst short throw, RX catch can, Intake isolator, Ported Intake manifold
jeff4946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:43 PM   #21
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by usa1camaro1969 View Post
I was a little curious about yours with the problems it has because others have been able to run the Zex with good/great success. If you remember though, MaxKamai(?) had the first v6 on here with the nitrous kit. It was a Zex. His first box had to be replaced as he took it to the track and the first run on the juice he ran slower than without. The fuel was opening up, the nitrous wasn't, so when it was supposed to be running on the juice it was just dumping lots of extra fuel.
Yeah, I'm going to call the shop up and see if we can do some troubleshooting on Friday.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #22
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRS View Post
OK quick video of my set up sorry it was dark and windy and don't flame me for calling the rocker panel the rocker arm.

Thanks for the video. I was actually thinking the other day if I could mount the spray nozzle under the intake to make it more "stealth". I'm already putting the bottle next to the battery with custom brackets. Would need to seal the already existing hole where the nozzle is now, though. Lol
Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #23
PoorMansCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff4946 View Post
What are the issues your having?
Same as before. Seems like when I open the bottle, turn on the nitrous management system, she will run good at first, but then she will slow down and be almost in a safe mode. Hard to explain. I found out that I'm theowing codes for cylinder 3 and 5 misfire. Thinking the management system is faulty, or it's just knocking real hard. I'll get colder plugs on Friday, if the shop has time for me. Although it seems odd that other people are having no issues at 55shot...
Old 05-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #24
jeff4946

Quote:
Same as before. Seems like when I open the bottle, turn on the nitrous management system, she will run good at first, but then she will slow down and be almost in a safe mode. Hard to explain. I found out that I'm theowing codes for cylinder 3 and 5 misfire. Thinking the management system is faulty, or it's just knocking real hard. I'll get colder plugs on Friday, if the shop has time for me. Although it seems odd that other people are having no issues at 55shot...
Yes, only time I threw any codes is when I tried those zex plugs.. dont waste the money on those... I dont know of anything in the wiring that would even tie into that. Im wondering if its a problem with something else, and just masked by the system.
K&N Cai, BSR Ported intake, MBRP catback, BBK long tubes, VMax throttle body, 3.73 SS gears, Zex nitrous 125hp shot, window switch, purge,remote bottle opener, bottle heater, Trifecta tune, Hurst short throw, RX catch can, Intake isolator, Ported Intake manifold
Old 05-17-2011, 09:58 PM   #25
jeff4946

What jets are you running?
Old 05-17-2011, 10:02 PM   #26
PoorMansCamaro

I'm running the smallest jets they provided. Didn't even look to see exactly. That will be something I do look at on Friday.

The dyno seemed fine when we ran it for the first time. AFR was good and gained 55hp...
Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #27
jeff4946

Quote:
I'm running the smallest jets they provided. Didn't even look to see exactly. That will be something I do look at on Friday.

The dyno seemed fine when we ran it for the first time. AFR was good and gained 55hp...
Ya, i remember it worked well. maybe pull the jets tomorrow and , check for plugging. Those things are so tiny ,any little thing would plug them. I know it said in the install to not use any teflon for that very reason. Now, if the jet plugged at all, and it threw it into safe mode , that MIGHT explain the codes, but i dont think so. There shouldnt be any thing with this system that would affect the plug firing. that is just strange.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 PM   #28
PoorMansCamaro

I don't have a bottle heater, would that affect anything? Maybe the nitrous is too cold after a few sprays andaybe freezes up the jet, so more fuel is being dumped and not the right amount of nitrous?