Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Camaro007

Drives: 2SS/RS Black
Cutouts and Back Pressure

Don't know alot about this, but I was calling around to some preformance shops in my area and was looking at installing some cutouts on my 2010 2SS. This will be my D/D so don't want to go for a full exhaust upgrade and the cutout are a little less expensive.
From what (1) guy at this place said that with the new preformance cars Like mine it needs back pressure, so if I put the cutouts on my car it's preformance will be less due to loss of back pressure that my car needs. He suggest getting a exhaust system installed? Now I don't know too much about this stuff so I ask for help on this. Is this correct or is this guy blowing smoke up my @ss?
Old 05-26-2009, 04:35 PM   #2
Yellow2010

Drives: Rally Yellow 2SS 2010
Read the thread about diverters. It will answer a lot of your questions.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #3
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
If your car made more power with more backpressure, then why does adding headers and catback (which reduces backpressure) INCREASE power? The guy is a moron. You will NOT lose power. Physics doesn't really allow you to. He's trying to sell you a full exhaust.

Besides, if you leave the stock manifolds and catalytic converters on there, you'll still have plenty of back pressure. Now, some cars do make better low RPM power with a little back pressure, but open exhaust pretty much always makes more peak horsepower. He's an idiot.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Camaro007

Drives: 2SS/RS Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
If your car made more power with more backpressure, then why does adding headers and catback (which reduces backpressure) INCREASE power? The guy is a moron. You will NOT lose power. Physics doesn't really allow you to. He's trying to sell you a full exhaust.

Besides, if you leave the stock manifolds and catalytic converters on there, you'll still have plenty of back pressure. Now, some cars do make better low RPM power with a little back pressure, but open exhaust pretty much always makes more peak horsepower. He's an idiot.
That's what I figured. Not an engine guy, but can smell BS. These guys say they install preformance parts, but didn't know what a cutout was or even know that they were a installer for race ready preformance parts???? or at least the guy that answered the phone.... "installer is an idiot"lol