Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 11-04-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Swifty
Casue six aint enough

Drives: 1967 GMC pickup/ 366
horrible handling.. any advice?

i recently switched a 250-6 banger for a 327 (pics in older post) and it has been plagued with problems. 2 months later i sit with a new cam and lifters ready for installation and a new holley double pumper in the mail, since its common knowledge used carbs are a shot in the dark. now my family have owned atleast 15 camaros, most of which late second generation. my dad claims the cars handling is laughable compared to the ones him and my mom used to drive(im the only one to ever have a big bumber car). surely there arent major differences from 74-77 to 78-81 cars, is there? i know ball joints are shot and along with that i put new rotors and pads on. i also saw that the centerlink has seen better days. are these things the reason why my camaro handles like a wasted hooker after the navy left town?
Swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Do yourself a GIANT favor and go to www.detroitspeed.com and go to the products section and look up the year of your car. They are pricey, but VERY WELL WORTH THE MONEY!! Great products and great service as well. (You should see the cars they build!!)
If those are too much money, for some people they are, then I would suggest Hotchkis as well.
Hope this helps!
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #3
2Tightwads
Banned

Drives: 2002 LS1 swapped into a 1994 Z
Pedders susupension mods. http://www.pedders.com.au/

Update: I decline my above statement as I thought this was in regards to 5th Gens. as stated in the title of the website. Didn't know you folks were even over here, sweeta'! My bad!

Last edited by 2Tightwads; 11-05-2009 at 04:28 PM.
2Tightwads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:24 PM   #4
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
when you swapped in the 327, should have also changed the front springs. Also, I'd at least get a poly bushing kit and replace all the warn parts (ball joints, centerlink that you mentioned). If you want spend the money, get some nice sway bars and shocks. But keep in mind it's not known to be a great handling car. I've owned a '69 Camaro and a '77 Trans-am...YES, the '77 was a MUCH better handling car.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #5
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Call me crazy, but when looking for information for a 2nd gen, you might be better off looking on a 2nd gen site. Maybe? I dont know that much.

I would go out on a limb and say the car needs new leaf springs and shocks all the way around. I mean saying it handles like crap isnt very descriptive.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:26 PM   #6
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
when you swapped in the 327, should have also changed the front springs...I'd at least get a poly bushing kit and replace all the warn parts (ball joints, centerlink that you mentioned). If you want spend the money, get some nice sway bars and shocks.
What he said too. I thought you got a different car all together. But yeah the v8 is going to weigh a bit more so you would need stiffer springs too.
rodimus prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #7
bhut

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Give this a look-see. Should get you started. Yes, you'll probably spend $1500 to get it to handle decently, but you'll be thankful when it will corner, brake and generally not embarrass itself on the road. Power is nothing without control!

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tec...ade/index.html
bhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
Swifty
Casue six aint enough

Drives: 1967 GMC pickup/ 366
well it seems like it floats around and loosely wallers into a curve. i know front coils are needed to be swapped but as far as shocks i got sky jacker air shocks out back, and new Monroe up front. i reckon its just most likely the same old crap thats been thru hell and several different hairstyles and aint been greased and kept up. its my daily driver so im not going after thousand dollar set -ups, like i have on my project chevelle, which sports a fabricated truck arm system like that of the old 60's c-10 trucks and cup cars since then (smokey yunicks chevelle and Junior Johnson's impala.) this in my opinion beats any four link, sway bar hoo-ha down right.. however its difficult on sub frame cars like camaros and novas, and not worth the hours of welding and fitting. It must be pretty alright if nascar and thousands of other drivers used it for over 40 years, with little or no modification.
Attached Images

Swifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
dan@swift

Drives: 1967 Chevy II
Send a message via AIM to dan@swift
I have to agree with the Detroit Speed suggestion!! Where in the Carolina's are you? If you are anywhere Mooresville, I recommend taking a look at their shop and the ongoing projects that utilize their suspension. They have built a few 70's Camaro's that own the muscle car classes at autocross events across the country. Once their suspension is installed correctly, your car will handle like a new sports car. And if you see anything you like, give me a call, I'll get it to you free shipping, and since I'm out of state, you'll save on sales tax!!
Dan
dan@swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #10
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan@swift View Post
I have to agree with the Detroit Speed suggestion!! Where in the Carolina's are you? If you are anywhere Mooresville, I recommend taking a look at their shop and the ongoing projects that utilize their suspension. They have built a few 70's Camaro's that own the muscle car classes at autocross events across the country. Once their suspension is installed correctly, your car will handle like a new sports car. And if you see anything you like, give me a call, I'll get it to you free shipping, and since I'm out of state, you'll save on sales tax!!
Dan
You know it brother!! They OWN on the auto-x events. Their products are TOP-NOTCH!!
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:36 PM   #11
TA219

Drives: 2010 SS - 1967 327 Coupe
If you want some inspiration check out www.pro-touring.com

DSE is great stuff, but they are expensive. Hotchkis makes some good stuff, Air ride suspensions are performing very well, QA1 coil overs are very easy and popular, BMR makes some good stuff, there are several aftermarket sub-frames, a-arm packages,.... there are so many options... Also, camaros.net is a great place for 1st gen people; however, that is a purist group. Pro-touring.com is where its at for making the best of your 1st gen!
TA219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #12
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
As stated above

DSE
Global West
Etc.
Another web sight for help.
http://www.lateral-g.net/
Old 11-07-2009, 10:34 PM   #13
67ss&99ss
Andy

Drives: a few muscle cars
My uncle bought a 78 Z28 new and still has it. When he was looking at Camaros at that time, he drove a berlinetta and a Z28. He has always told me that the handing was SUPERIOR on the Z28. I've drove his 78 many times and the car handles amazing. The only thing he's changed on the suspension since new were the shocks. If you could find a wrecked Z and get the components off of it, I think you would be happy. Subframes would also help out.

the best second gen site I've found on the net is www.nastyz28.com
1974 'Cuda: 340|4 speed|Dana 60|4.10s|Posi
1999 Camaro SS: Longtubes|True Duals|Lid|LS6|TT2s

67ss&99ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #14
teppy

Drives: Red hot Camaro
i was thinking maybe the stock wheels doesn't work with this skyjacker lift. im not technical when it comes to this so better take your car to a professional mechanic.
teppy is offline   Reply With Quote