Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
DuhKoDuh

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (Black) L99
Arrow Has anyone ever had warranty voided?

Ok has anyone voided their warranty with a tune, headers, etc.. and you took your car to the dealer and they think the car is still under warranty? Like I know some dealers are oblivious to that kind of stuff, but have they fixed something for free because it was under warranty even though it was voided and they didnt know?

Follow me on Instagram @C7Corvettes
DuhKoDuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #2
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhKoDuh View Post
Ok has anyone voided their warranty with a tune, headers, etc.. and you took your car to the dealer and they think the car is still under warranty? Like I know some dealers are oblivious to that kind of stuff, but have they fixed something for free because it was under warranty even though it was voided and they didnt know?
My dealer told me they'll still warranty the car even if I get headers and a tune.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Daily Driver

Drives: Silver Bullet
Most dealers are not oblivious as to what will void a warranty. Its at the dealers discretion.
Daily Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #4
DuhKoDuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
My dealer told me they'll still warranty the car even if I get headers and a tune.
ah, thats not fair! lol delete "an" and change "idiot" to AWESOME!

Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
My dealership always tries to get me to Tune/put headers on/put a new cam in/supercharge it/ect whenever i stop by. All under warranty :-) THR FTW
Old 04-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
DuhKoDuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
My dealership always tries to get me to Tune/put headers on/put a new cam in/supercharge it/ect whenever i stop by. All under warranty :-) THR FTW
WOW! lol I wonder if mine is like that...

Old 04-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #7
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuhKoDuh View Post
WOW! lol I wonder if mine is like that...
LOL there aren't many dealers like Tom Henry.

I bring my guys at Smith cookies and little treats and things, so they love me, and they are always checking out Bella when I bring her in.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
VTXrider

Drives: 2010 RY 2SS/RS
Headers and a tune does not "void" your warranty. It puts at risk some parts of your warranty.

By law the warranty is only voided on parts for which the manufacturer/dealer can prove that you headers and tune or other mods caused the problem you have. Of course some dealers may try to convince you otherwise or try to blame unrelated problems on your tune but that is not all dealers or automatic.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
DuhKoDuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post
Headers and a tune does not "void" your warranty. It puts at risk some parts of your warranty.

By law the warranty is only voided on parts for which the manufacturer/dealer can prove that you headers and tune or other mods caused the problem you have. Of course some dealers may try to convince you otherwise or try to blame unrelated problems on your tune but that is not all dealers or automatic.
ahh! well good!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:47 AM   #10
avacamaro
avacamaro

Drives: 2016 silver SS
headers,warranty = forced induction, warranty=
Tune, warranty = Cat back + intake

Unless your dealer agrees ahead of time.
Just my $.02
avacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:05 AM   #11
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTXrider View Post

You are correct for the most part but when you get a tune it is a bit of a game changer.

The tune in your ECU (Electronic Control Unit) controls every aspect of the engine’s operation: fuel and ignition maps, variable valve timing, rev limits, speed limiters, and many other functions. From the factory your car’s tune is set pretty conservatively in an effort to strike a balance between performance, emissions, fuel mileage, and reliability. Air/fuel ratios are generally a little rich and ignition timing is generally retarded to reduce the likelihood of detonation. Rev limits are set low to reduce wear and stress. And on and on it goes. Adjusting many of these setting will result in more power and better performance but, like almost all performance upgrades, it is a give and take. A leaner fuel map and advanced timing will add power but leaves you more vulnerable to detonation. A higher red line allows you to run out a little longer but at the cost of additional wear and an increased risk of a catastrophic failure. An experienced professional tuner is capable of writing a well balanced customized performance tune, but the OEM manufacturers (AKA: the guys who are ultimately on the hook for the warranty) see it differently.

The OEM manufacture’s stance is that a change to the stock tune exposes the engine and drive train to unknown and untested stresses that can negatively impact reliability. Because of the unknown consequences of this additional stress it is their policy to cancel all remaining engine and drive train warranty. Below are PDF copies of Ford and GM service bulletins laying out their policies on the matter.

GM 09-06-04-026A

Ford 11-7-7

If you get a tune and then have an engine or drive train problem you are most likely going to have a serious uphill battle. The thing to keep in mind is that the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)) still applies so they can not just deny the repairs on the basis of the tune alone.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:08 AM   #12
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

My dealer actually keeps trying to weasel me into putting a supercharger or twin turbo's on my car. It's horribly tempting since they said they'll warranty it...

Old 04-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #13
PsychoDRAMA

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
My dealer assured me my shorties, mids, exaust etc wont void my warranty, thy did say tuning(why I went with shorties) would but their pretty decent ppl, Im sure the more I spend the more thy'll turn a cheek to any mods tht "void" anything...well withn reason lol
PsychoDRAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #14
Powhusku

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
My local dealer (not the one I bought the car from) told me they'd warranty it even if I got headers and a tune done at a different shop! Now all I need is a pile of money to fall out of the sky and into my lap.