Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-16-2010, 05:33 PM   #1
434stroker

Drives: Chevy Nova
Do headers.......

void the manufactory warranty? Also, I was told that I could have a BORLA exhaust kit that can be installed with out it affecting the warranty. Is Borla my only option?
434stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
gtbaldini

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS LS3
Catback's won't void your warranty...as far as headers go....99% of them will cause your car to throw a CEL code....and the only way to get rid of the code is with a tune. Most dealers will void your warranty if you decide to do a custom tune. Plus, you would probably want a tune to realize the true benefits of headers. My advice, and it's just that, advise....if you are worried about your warranty...stick with catback systems and do headers after your warranty expires.
gtbaldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #3
434stroker

Drives: Chevy Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbaldini View Post
Catback's won't void your warranty...as far as headers go....99% of them will cause your car to throw a CEL code....and the only way to get rid of the code is with a tune. Most dealers will void your warranty if you decide to do a custom tune. Plus, you would probably want a tune to realize the true benefits of headers. My advice, and it's just that, advise....if you are worried about your warranty...stick with catback systems and do headers after your warranty expires.

Good advice. Thank you very much.
434stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
99% is a bit strong. Most main stream SLP/Kooks etc will not throw codes - I have kooks headers, high flow cats and Mach XL Catbacks, no codes yet and no tune. As for your choice --- its huge, JBA, Corsa, Kooks, SLP, Stainless, pacesetters the list goes on....

True - a tune will benefit if you fit LT headers. But I have found this combination sounds fantastic, and adds HP without a tune (SLP say 25hp advantage without a tune)

Shorty headers - do a search and you'll find that they do not add much if anything in HP gains

If i had any warranty concerns i could simply re-fit stock headers and take it in. 5500 miles and no complaints

Stick to Catbacks if you want to retain warranty

As for tunes and warranty Don't go there!!!
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #5
scrboy2002@aol.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IBM White Rally M6 SROOF
you guys are making me rethink my headers. . . .
scrboy2002@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i wanted headers too... but it just not worth it... so i am sticking with CAI and cat back... now if i lived on my own with a nice job... then i would for sure get the headers... being
18 without a job... cant really get headers lol

Last edited by mikeSS; 06-17-2010 at 09:54 PM.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpizzle007 View Post
or shorty headers, wont void the warranty. only long tubes. and you dont need a tune with shorties since they dont move the cats.
shortys will void warranty, not at first.. but over a period of time.. if you have a cat back and CAI and shortys .. thats to much extra air flow... the car wouldn't know how to handle it.... then will you have problems, the dealer ship will say your aftermarkets parts caused this, which is true... you might blow a piston or something
Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 PM   #8
mikeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpizzle007 View Post
the extra air will cause a piston to blow? lol its not going to run that lean

One thing you need to consider about adding headers is that you are significantly increasing the air flow of the engine. One of the more important things the tune is going to do is make sure your Air/Fuel ratio is good. By adding headers you are going lean out your fuel mixture. I believe that the factory tune on the Camaro is supposed to be pretty rich but if your headers happen to lean out your A/F ratio to much you'll take a big chance on burning a piston.

So...lets say that I put on headers without a tune. The car runs fine for a while and then all of a sudden you eat a piston. You take it to the dealer to look at and even though you have the factory tune they will surely determine that your headers are what leaned out the car and caused the issue. Then you'll be out of pocket to fix everything and possibley loose the drivetrain warranty anyway.

So....technically just adding the headers could cause you to have your drivetrain warranty voided with or without a tune.

All of that is above and beyond the fact that your car will run much better with the tune....again becasue they are getting your A/F ratios and things like that to run optimal for your car.

Talk with some of the tuners/performance shops and see if they don't agree.

For me....I'm waiting to add LT headers until I'm ready to do a tune and take that possible chance that either the headers or the tune might void my drivetrain warranty.

If you don't want to take the chance on voiding the drivetrain warranty then you probably shouldn't put the headers on.

Just my take.....
Old 06-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #9
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmass View Post
99% is a bit strong.
How bout 99.9%. pretty much bank on a CEL light...

As for all the burning up pistons talk... there are plenty of folks w/ headers and no tune who are not trashing their engines. The car will learn the new airflow and make adjustments. You will have nice HP gains and the car will sound like a beast.

It is recommended to get a tune with headers and a handheld tuning unit will do this nicely... then you can restore the stock tune when needed...
Old 06-17-2010, 10:10 PM   #10
gtbaldini

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey 2SS/RS LS3
Those are good points mlee...there has been some disagreement on the ability of a dealership being able to sniff out tunes when they have been restored to stock programs by handhelds. I have no experience in this area so I'm just bringing this up for conversation and not for the sake of argument. Either way, your best bet is to find a mod friendly dealer. Sadly, we don't have any here in Albuquerque.
gtbaldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #11
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbaldini View Post
Sadly, we don't have any here in Albuquerque.
Call me if you need more info on this.....

"Hand in the cookie jar..."
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #12
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeSS View Post

One thing you need to consider about adding headers is that you are significantly increasing the air flow of the engine. One of the more important things the tune is going to do is make sure your Air/Fuel ratio is good. By adding headers you are going lean out your fuel mixture. I believe that the factory tune on the Camaro is supposed to be pretty rich but if your headers happen to lean out your A/F ratio to much you'll take a big chance on burning a piston.

So...lets say that I put on headers without a tune. The car runs fine for a while and then all of a sudden you eat a piston. You take it to the dealer to look at and even though you have the factory tune they will surely determine that your headers are what leaned out the car and caused the issue. Then you'll be out of pocket to fix everything and possibley loose the drivetrain warranty anyway.

So....technically just adding the headers could cause you to have your drivetrain warranty voided with or without a tune.

All of that is above and beyond the fact that your car will run much better with the tune....again becasue they are getting your A/F ratios and things like that to run optimal for your car.

Talk with some of the tuners/performance shops and see if they don't agree.

For me....I'm waiting to add LT headers until I'm ready to do a tune and take that possible chance that either the headers or the tune might void my drivetrain warranty.

If you don't want to take the chance on voiding the drivetrain warranty then you probably shouldn't put the headers on.

Just my take.....
The main problem with your "take" is that shorty's don't significantly increase the airflow through the engine. It's debateable whether they flow more than the stock ones at all. For the sake of arguement, lets say they do. They haven't been proven to gain anywhere near the 18hp that most companies claim. I highly doubt you're going to burn up a piston with a 5-10hp gain. The PCM can EASILY compensate for that little of a change.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #13
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
The main problem with your "take" is that shorty's don't significantly increase the airflow through the engine. It's debateable whether they flow more than the stock ones at all. For the sake of arguement, lets say they do. They haven't been proven to gain anywhere near the 18hp that most companies claim. I highly doubt you're going to burn up a piston with a 5-10hp gain. The PCM can EASILY compensate for that little of a change.
...and in addition to the topic, one thing shorties will provide every time is weight reduction.

The real performance gain comes from removing the stock cats. Shorties are not worthless if you replace the stock downpipes, with or without high flow cats. At that point you may as just go with LT's and get that extra 10HP however. In the end a tune will be required.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:07 AM   #14
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbt View Post
...and in addition to the topic, one thing shorties will provide every time is weight reduction.

The real performance gain comes from removing the stock cats. Shorties are not worthless if you replace the stock downpipes, with or without high flow cats. At that point you may as just go with LT's and get that extra 10HP however. In the end a tune will be required.
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

Stock cats are the bottleneck in the system. The manifolds in stock form kick ass.

Shorties are awesome for looks and ultimately performance if you dump those rediculous cans off em.

Believe that.
Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote