Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #1
SSinisterLS3

Drives: 07 C6 LS2
Another SS gone and why

After much deliberation, I decided to get rid of my beloved “green mile.” My 2011 2SS/RS LS3 just had to go. I’ve been asked at work why I got rid of it. The reasons are simple, unaddressed, and repetitive. So, as I was asked one hour ago, name 3 reasons you got rid of it. Here goes. I believe everyone should give a car like this respect when it is let go. I will, but feel others need to know why.

The number one reason why I got rid of it is the paint. Every wash. I MEAN EVERY WASH, there was another place flaking/chipping/peeling and scratching. I went to try to switch to a high rise spoiler. COULDN’T! Know why? The ENTIRE underside of my spoiler had peeled off. Yup. Down to the metal. Wow. Someone forked out 40 grand for this when they bought it. I only paid 26 out the door used. If I was the guy who paid 40, I would be tossing stuff around my front porch and constantly on the phone with GM. The paint absolutely ruins this car. It was designed to look good, and without paint, nothing looks good. Moving on.

Number two. Popularity. Down here in Texas, these things are like ants. I put green stripes on my black car just to try to look different. Well, it worked….for a little while. Then I realized that is why there are so many modded ones. This is a car you keep buying things for to TRY to make yourself happy. It works for a little while, then the car is just….boring again. There was a professional review that docked the Camaro because the style is its biggest asset, but biggest enemy. You buy one to stand out. When there are so many that you don’t stand out, you are left with a mediocre performing car that should be doing better for what it is. I didn’t say that, a professional did.

Number three is the people. Every Camaro owner I see on the street DOES NOT WAVE. They do not do anything except hammer it, and start weaving through traffic at 100 plus, hoping you will chase them. Umm, no. Go ahead. I can’t count how many times that has happened, and next time I see them is on the shoulder. Red and blues. Then we get to read about it on here about how the cop was a douche, the driver is innocent, and lots of people chime in about money (like cops work on commission or something). Car shows are the exact same. “Why didn’t you buy a ZL1?” Is all I heard. Hmm, let’s not get into that argument, because we all know how much I hate the ZL1.

It’s not being biased when you own one and are experiencing the same setup, just less. The crowd is just stupid. At a raceway, my brother took his 03 Cobra against one. The guy red lighted just to TRY to get ahead, and STILL lost by 3 cars. That happened a lot that night, and embarrassed me. People red light just to look cool going down the track, which, we experienced racers, are laughing at you on the inside. Just because you take pics of your GTECH telling you you went 12.5 does not mean you went 12.5.
So.

Final thought. The Camaro is overpriced. 66,000 for a ZL1 coupe? A ZL1 couldn't touch this vette, or really, a majority of them which are incentived to less! REALLY? You HAVE to be kidding me GM. I’ve been screwed before, but at least they have a truck called a Ram so I was ready for it. My Dodge caliber had better paint quality than the Camaro. My 2000 Z28 is STILL shining. See it all the time. So they put restrictions on you. Wahhh. Cry me a river. If I gave you billions, I’d put restrictions on how you make paint too.

Onto the real spot light. After looking around at all cars, I wound up with the ONLY car that GM has created that has always worked. You have to go to Britain to find a bad review on it. I went with this Corvette. Just to prove my point, this is a 2007. Looks like it just rolled out the show room. Not even a SCRATCH on this thing. Seriously, I looked for thirty minutes straight. Wasn’t the vette….painted….with the same….paint as the Camaro? When is the last time you saw a vette peeling two years after being made? Umm, never. It’s called ATTENTION to detail. The Camaro is being rushed out because of the high demand, and the consumers are paying the price. It was either this or a viper RT/10 since I found this baby for a steal. My insurance DROPPED 46 bucks A MONTH on this. REALLY? I love it. It looks better, its faster, cleaner, and draws more attention. Not to mention, I have seen multiple corvettes on the road ranging from early 90s to brand new grand sports. ALL…..have waved back. Every one of them. I even went to a corvette meet…on accident…on my patrol bike. I just so happened to drop in for a minute. More of an older crowd, but all very nice, and even offered me gatorades while I was out riding. It’s a great car that Chevrolet got right. The weight difference is crazy from the vette to the Camaro. I feel like my Camaro was crawling in comparison to the corvette. I’m still a GM guy at heart, and this corvette is proof of why. This is an absolutely stunning car, and I am very happy with it. I even have it inside of the garage since the Camaro….slept outside since the paint sucked anyway. The corvette is beautiful. There truly is an *** for every seat, but this one is mine. I was very disappointed with the Camaro and hope the next generation is better. Right now as it sits, I pay the same for this 07 vette (per month, insurance included) than I was for my SS. The vette just turned 30k miles also. My Camaro had 38k. So, officially, I say adios, sayanora, and let the fleur de lis fly proudly.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
congrats on the vet......
Old 07-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
fcatch76

Drives: 2012 2LT RS
40k or 26k, it shouldn't matter, if the paint was bad on mine GM would know about it.

2012 2LT/RS AGM- Injen CAI- MRT v2.0- Elite catch can- VMax PTB- ACS T5 splitter,rockers, rear panels and
T2/s ports- Strut brace- Oracle side markers- JDP DRL Harness and ACS Eagle T2 leds-5% tint-Decepticon theme
Old 07-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
walky35

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
congrats to u on what makes u happy. but cant say iv experienced any of that with my SS.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #5
bigd1276
2017 HyperBlue 2SS

Drives: 2017 HyperBlue Camaro 2SS
Nice Vette. Don't know if other Vette owners will wave at you either but nice upgrade.

2010 IBM 2LT RS......Traded for.....
2012 IBM 2SS RS......Traded for.....
2017 HBM 2SS
Old 07-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
solo40oz

Drives: My wife crazy
mmmkay
Old 07-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
Enjoy the vette which by the way looks like every other vette out there. No exclusivity there if that is what you are after.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
Old 07-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
BluePhoenix

Drives: 2020 GMC Sierra AT4
Valid reasons why someone would want to get rid of their Camaro, and to each their own because every person is different. Congrats on the C6 purchase!!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
SSinisterLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd1276 View Post
Nice Vette. Don't know if other Vette owners will wave at you either but nice upgrade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSinisterLS3 View Post
Not to mention, I have seen multiple corvettes on the road ranging from early 90s to brand new grand sports. ALL…..have waved back. Every one of them..

Thanks to the positive responses so far. Awaiting an attempted ZL1 nut drop.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post
Enjoy the vette which by the way looks like every other vette out there. No exclusivity there if that is what you are after.
Red with black top, beige interior. NEVER seen one like that. Also, 40,000 camaros made last year. 11,000 vettes. 10,000 in 11. 11,000 in 10. The past three years haven't come close to how many camaros were sold just THIS PAST YEAR.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
suzook

Drives: camaro
Good luck with the same paint on the vette!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Quote:
Originally Posted by walky35 View Post
congrats to u on what makes u happy. but cant say iv experienced any of that with my SS.
A 2015 or 16 Vette is my next car, but I agree with this...., I've never experienced any of those reasons...really, it's important that people wave?

wow...

Last edited by Glen e; 07-09-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
MikeMoach

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS/RS
Did you really say a reason you got rid of the car was cause another camaro owner did not wave to you??

Congrats on the vette but man that's a strange top 3 reason can't help but scratch my head
Old 07-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
Brettzel

Drives: #null
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDan View Post

It doesnt look the same. It has that hood. Too bad the hood is an abomination. Looks horribly stupid imo, but to each their own. At least it is painted well, right?
Old 07-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #14
SSinisterLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Good luck with the same paint on the vette!
Six years old, and not a scratch. No dings to worry about. Fiber glass for the win!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMoach View Post
Did you really say a reason you got rid of the car was cause another camaro owner did not wave to you??
That is only a small part of the big point I was making there....but I guess it's cool to slice it like a pizza....and eat just one piece.....

Closed Thread