Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
ouhockeyplayer

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS
Interior Trim Kit?

Just wondering if anyone that has the cloth covering on their door panels and dash has bought the body color matching interior trim kit? If so, is it a do it yourself project or should I take it to the dealer? I really would like to have my rally yellow carried over into my interior. GMPartsdirect has the kit for $299.95 versus GMs list price of $450.
ouhockeyplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
hollywoodjose

Drives: 2010 Black 1LT
i did it myself and it wasnt that bad, if you have a person that can help hold it while u disconnect speakekrs and other wires. The instructions are pretty good. Also if you dont have a dremmel I would recommend getting one if you do it yourself. Check my pics in the journal section. I did it in about 2 hrs or so. First door took me longer than the second one. Any questions PM me
Old 06-28-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
You can do it yourself. I put the silver kit in my 1LT on Saturday afternoon. Took me a few hours but mostly because I was messing around with adding the lighting to the doors and dash at the same time (still working on it - waiting on new light pipes).

Just take your time and be careful.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
ouhockeyplayer

Thanks everyone. Do you know if this could have been a dealer installed option when buying the car? I have seen some on the showroom floor with and without.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:27 AM   #5
hollywoodjose

Drives: 2010 Black 1LT
I think the dealer would have to order it and put it in, the only colors that were available with the car was IO, if you got the IO int. accent package, green if you got synergy green and a silver/grey but I dont know if it was SS or which cars came with the non carpeted interior.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouhockeyplayer View Post
Thanks everyone. Do you know if this could have been a dealer installed option when buying the car? I have seen some on the showroom floor with and without.
If you've seen some on the showroom floor with the panels, then they are 1 of 5 things:

1. A stock 2LT or 2SS trim level (silver)
2. A stock 2LT or 2SS trim level with the Inferno orange interior option (includes 2SS Indy 500 Pace Car replicas) (orange)
3. A stock 2010 1LT Synergy Green special edition (green)
4. A dealer that has added the kit prior to sale of an LS, 1LT, or 1SS (silver, white, yellow)
5. A dealer that has upgraded stock trim using the kit prior to sale of a 2LT or 2SS (white, yellow)
Old 06-28-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
ouhockeyplayer

Thanks. I have only seen the silver and orange inserts. Both were in cars based on your #1 and #2 scenarios. I wish these came stock in all the cars. They really dress the interior up a lot.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #8
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
The silver kit from GM is not just like the stock trim pieces in the 2LT and 2SS cars...it is a bit lighter. I'll be purchasing it one o these days!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
The silver kit from GM is not just like the stock trim pieces in the 2LT and 2SS cars...it is a bit lighter. I'll be purchasing it one o these days!
I think you are right on the silver being lighter in the kit. I was noticing the color difference today between the gauge surround and the dash trim pieces. It's not bad but you can tell it's not the same color silver.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #10
Eric's Blue

Drives: Cybergray 1SS
Any idea about taking off the cloth covering and recovering it in leather? or custom vinyl? not sure if vinyl would hold up in the 100 degree GA heat?
Old 06-28-2010, 04:53 PM   #11
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric's Blue View Post
Any idea about taking off the cloth covering and recovering it in leather? or custom vinyl? not sure if vinyl would hold up in the 100 degree GA heat?
Shouldn't be to difficult on the door panels. The cloth has a thin layer of foam behind it and that is glued to the plastic panel. You could either cover over the cloth or strip off the glue and re-glue the new material/leather/vinyl to the plastic. The dash pieces are another story though. They stapled the hell out of the fabric on the backside of the plastic. You'd need to remove all those staples if you wanted to recover the pieces in some other material.

It shouldn't be hard to do, just a bit time consuming. The only downside is that the door trim panels used melted plastic rivets that will need to be removed to get the trim piece off the actual door panel. You'll just need to cut the rivets flush and then reattach the trim piece with short screws into the base of the rivets that remain.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:48 PM   #12
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
check out this thread as it may give you some ideas

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87314
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote