Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
youngoliver

Drives: 2SS/RS SIM -- Lifted 99' GMC
everyone judges young drivers theres plenty of "hater" threads on this site haha.. doesn't bother me i love the car just as much as the next person.

But hv92 as a 18 year old camaro owner my self haha i say get the 2SS. And i doubt the Z/28 will be available in auto but i could be wrong. 400 ponies is plenty and still reasonable on gas as well. 2SS all the way and congrats
youngoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #16
hv92

Drives: .
Haha youngoliver
thanks man. But yea like idk man.. Tge fact that there could be a new one coming out is just so awesome and Intriguing haha but yea. I actually turn 18 this July and my mom was thinking of getting me a car for tge one year Ima be spending at home for college before I transfer. What would be ur opinion on the upkeep and maintenance of the car?
hv92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #17
Gibby
Z28 LS9

Drives: Traverse, Blazer, Cadillac,Fat Boy
How old is your mom?
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #18
PHEOX

Drives: '06 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheitskees View Post
Why at 18 years old is 426 hp enough?

Everyone seems quick to judge young drivers... Or maybe that's just the way I'm perceiving it?
People judge young drivers quite a bit! What's surprising is, people over 60 cause something like 50% more wrecks than teens. No offense to many of our older, MUCH MUCH wiser forum members, who I'm sure can drive like the best champs out there! There are some stupid kids out there, that do stupid things. When I begin driving in a year, I vow to never pick up my phone or be preoccupied with something else when behind the wheel (unlike my father, scares me quite a bit) and I think it should be illegal anyway. Some $1000 fine would knock some sense into people! Anyway, some people are natural drivers, some people aren't and need more practice, so people, don't judge too quickly by age.
PHEOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 PM   #19
DZ28

Drives: 2023 ZL1 M6 Riverside Blue
back to the topic, Z/28 will be $55K by the time it comes out... $35K for a nice SS today vs 55 large when the Z/28 comes out and it will be in short supply... that's why I pulled the trigger on the SS now. I can add power to the car as I have extra $$ to spend.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:42 PM   #20
G8GT4now

Drives: 14 SS Sedan
You will be 20 by the time the Z28 comes out.

Can you wait that long?
G8GT4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:46 PM   #21
hv92

Drives: .
Well.. If it comes out by next summer, haha I can wait, if not... Then 2SS it is. Orifice worse comes to worse, Lexus is coming out with the gs-f. Over 500 something horses with a v-10....

I'LL TAKE IT )) hahahaha
hv92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #22
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
It's more a matter of experience than age. If you've been driving regularly for years and are responsible, I don't see a problem with it. Nothing to do with hating on your age.

But giving someone a 550hp car (or even 426hp) who's relatively inexperienced behind the wheel can be a recipe for disaster. Depends on the person more than the age IMO. Although, I'd never give a 16 year old kid a car with this type of power. You need at least a couple years to learn how to truly drive.

BTW, learn how to drive a stick in the meantime if you wait, way more fun
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #23
cesaresbueno

Drives: SIM 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to cesaresbueno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakout View Post
At 18 years old, 426 hp is MORE than enough. Plus you can mod the SS to your liking to match or surpass whatever power the Z/28. Then of course you have the question of is power the only thing that will differ on the Z or will the suspension be better and/or the chassis lighter?

Also, why would you (regardless of which Camaro you get) trade it in when you finish school? This car is a keeper!
Hey! I'm 16 and I drive an SS. Not all young drivers are wreckless. I think if you're underage and driving a 400+ HP car. you should have some sense.

Hey and about you trying to pick between an SS or Z28, I'd go for an SS unless you wanna wait for an unpromised car.
cesaresbueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #24
CJay

Drives: 2LT/RS
When I just turned 19 I bought myself a Corvette because I was on track to make $50k that year between my job and the stock market.

I babied it, I put about $6,000 worth of work into it, I washed it once a week, I genuinely loved it. I also blew the doors off every car that challenged me on the road... Until I got nailed in the front-side by an 80 year old man in a Jeep making a left turn.

Sports cars are nice, they impress people, they're fun to drive, but there's NOTHING more gut wrenching then watching a flat bed drag away your car with nearly no front end left. I had the speed, I used the speed, now I'm cruising around in a 2LT and keep it reasonable. The car still impresses a ton of people too.

I was heavily attached to my Corvette, because it was my first really large purchase and Mommy and Daddy didn't give me a cent toward it. I'll be able to look back at pictures when I'm a father now and go "Damn, I really miss that car"

I know "You're responsible, do well in school, don't do drugs/smoke/etc" I'm the same way. My cousin just turned 17 and is looking into getting a firebird/older Camaro. I'm trying to talk him out of it because I know how addicting it is to drop a clutch at 4k RPM's on a high horsepower car and get thrown back in the seat. I consider myself lucky for walking away from a pretty bad wreck without a scratch, I'm afraid other people wont be.

Point is, be very careful getting a 2SS. There is absolutely no practical need for 426 horsepower in every day driving. Yeah, it's cool to have. Yeah, it's going to get to your head. Yeah, you're going to think you're pretty hot stuff. Been there. Done that. I didn't get the SS Camaro because I couldn't even bare the thought of getting into another accident doing something dumb.
CJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:11 PM   #25
Gibby
Z28 LS9

Drives: Traverse, Blazer, Cadillac,Fat Boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJay View Post
When I just turned 19 I bought myself a Corvette because I was on track to make $50k that year between my job and the stock market.

I babied it, I put about $6,000 worth of work into it, I washed it once a week, I genuinely loved it. I also blew the doors off every car that challenged me on the road... Until I got nailed in the front-side by an 80 year old man in a Jeep making a left turn.

Sports cars are nice, they impress people, they're fun to drive, but there's NOTHING more gut wrenching then watching a flat bed drag away your car with nearly no front end left. I had the speed, I used the speed, now I'm cruising around in a 2LT and keep it reasonable. The car still impresses a ton of people too.

I was heavily attached to my Corvette, because it was my first really large purchase and Mommy and Daddy didn't give me a cent toward it. I'll be able to look back at pictures when I'm a father now and go "Damn, I really miss that car"

I know "You're responsible, do well in school, don't do drugs/smoke/etc" I'm the same way. My cousin just turned 17 and is looking into getting a firebird/older Camaro. I'm trying to talk him out of it because I know how addicting it is to drop a clutch at 4k RPM's on a high horsepower car and get thrown back in the seat. I consider myself lucky for walking away from a pretty bad wreck without a scratch, I'm afraid other people wont be.

Point is, be very careful getting a 2SS. There is absolutely no practical need for 426 horsepower in every day driving. Yeah, it's cool to have. Yeah, it's going to get to your head. Yeah, you're going to think you're pretty hot stuff. Been there. Done that. I didn't get the SS Camaro because I couldn't even bare the thought of getting into another accident doing something dumb.
Well said! I hope a few people take note.
Gibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:24 PM   #26
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
you could always buy the 2SS (or 1SS) and BUILD your vision of the Z/28...

Faster.. leaner.. better. That, and you would have one NOW.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:09 PM   #27
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Forget the Z28 you need a Hyabusa.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:12 PM   #28
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJay View Post

I have many stories I could tell you about being 19 and buying a 2002 GSX-R1000.

I am actually amazed I am still alive to this day. It was my first street bike.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote