Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-25-2015, 11:41 AM   #1
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Bald Pirellis to General GMAX AS-03 turning/traction control light problem

Posting this in general because I honestly don't know what the cause is...

Recently I had switched from balding rear Pirellis to General GMAX AS-03s and had some confidence going into December in NJ, since last years debacle called weather, but have noticed some... abnormalities. I have Pirellis on the front still, but the AS-03s are on the rear. If I get on an off-ramp (with a slight decline/curve) at about 40-45 on the turn I get a traction control light and "shudder" caused by what I will assume is the traction control system (Sounds like when you run over the rumble strips on the highway). The speed shouldn't be the issue because I know I have taken this route/speed with the older tires (albeit, better weather). I don't recall if it ever did this when I had all 4 Pirellis. The only constants I can find is... I don't have the same tires on the front and back (having a hard time thinking this has much/anything to do with turning) and the weather has been 20-40 degrees out since I changed the tires.
Cold ground screwing up new tires traction?
The Pirellis just alot better/"grippier" tire when it was warmer?
Who knows, all I know is its weird and I am at a loss. Unexplained happenings, while consistent when they do, annoy me.
Any ideas?
Stealthpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
SnowyCamaro

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1, 2006 Chevy Equinox
The gmax tires are an all season tire so they have less grip. I own a set of them and they are crap in my opinion. They are decent for all season, but as summer tires they are not good. I have owned them for 1 summer and will be getting some nice yokamas again this spring. Sounds like you just spun the tires going around the he corner. The gmax are not that performance oriented. Check out the tire threads if you want something more performance based. Honestly my favorites are yokohama (s-drive or better), toyo (R888 are very good) and had good luck with some hankook models, Michelin also makes some good performance ones as well but I found they wore really fast. Everyone has their opinions on them, just don't buy pirellis again, most overpriced tire out there.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #3
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
Anytime you have two different types of tires front to back you are asking for trouble. They don't grip the same and it makes it harder or you to tell when you have reached that point of no return. Unless of course you are on a drag strip.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowyCamaro View Post
The gmax tires are an all season tire so they have less grip. I own a set of them and they are crap in my opinion. They are decent for all season, but as summer tires they are not good. I have owned them for 1 summer and will be getting some nice yokamas again this spring. Sounds like you just spun the tires going around the he corner. The gmax are not that performance oriented. Check out the tire threads if you want something more performance based. Honestly my favorites are yokohama (s-drive or better), toyo (R888 are very good) and had good luck with some hankook models, Michelin also makes some good performance ones as well but I found they wore really fast. Everyone has their opinions on them, just don't buy pirellis again, most overpriced tire out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdog View Post
Anytime you have two different types of tires front to back you are asking for trouble. They don't grip the same and it makes it harder or you to tell when you have reached that point of no return. Unless of course you are on a drag strip.
The bold sounds right. They are more for traction, than grip if that makes sense. I am beginning to think weather is having an effect, as well as combining two different tires.
Thanks,
Jason
Old 01-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #5
Chevy_cowboy

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6 Convertible
If you're driving in temps below freezing, I'd get some all seasons on the front also, the Pzero's have very little grip at those temps. You need appropriate tires on all 4 corners, not just the drive axle.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:24 PM   #6
Stealthpanda
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_cowboy View Post
If you're driving in temps below freezing, I'd get some all seasons on the front also, the Pzero's have very little grip at those temps. You need appropriate tires on all 4 corners, not just the drive axle.
I agree. But I wasn't buying two front rims and putting new tires on them, since the fronts I have are over 50% tread left. I understand the traction/performance issue of pirellis in sub-50 degree weather... It can't be a suprise to anyone that my rears went before the fronts. I would be baffled to find out the TC was coming on because the fronts were losing contact with the road, instead of the rears. I would have noticed swerve, not rear-vehicle vibration as I have been experiencing.
Thanks,
Jason