Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-27-2009, 10:26 AM   #1
Rhetor

Drives: My Other Car Is a Harley! (03 SERK)
2LT RS or 2SS RS ?? Have You Stuggled to Decide?

My beloved supercharged 2000 Pontiac GTP finally burned up the engine! Really not worth the repair . . . but what a sweet ride it was!

As a replacement, getting ready to order the Gen 5 Camaro! (I only buy a car once every 10 years.)

I am really excited . . . but I am stuck on whether to order the 2LT RS or the 2SS RS . . . yeah, we all like to spend more money and I can stretch myself to order the 2SS RS . . . but . . . I like to save too . . . I think the 2LT RS rocks too . . . but . . . my other personality says . . .

But, just looking for insight and advice from all of those who have struggled making the same decision (2LT or 2SS) . . . and come out on both sides . . . especially since this really will be a daily driver on a 45 minute one way commute and I will be putting 150,000 miles on it over the next decade . . . I never trade in . . . just wear them out! :-)

Thanks for the help!
Rhetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:32 AM   #2
"prima"Donna
HWAY STR

Drives: 2010 RJT VIN#7085 & 2014 CRT C7
2LT/RS here!!!...it was never a decision to make...'been there, done that' with the V8 and since this is my daily driver and I can go fast enough in my ROCKETSHIP, the V6 was the way to go for me...
Better gas mileage, regular gas, and cheaper to insure...

Whatever YOU decide will be the right decision for YOU...we all bought what we wanted for our own personal reasons...

There is no right or wrong decision...just follow your heart and you can't go wrong...good luck to you, whatever you decide...

Either way, we all bought CAMAROS!!!.......
Old 12-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #3
chevydude26

Drives: Future 2011 camaro convertible
it depends on what your monetary goals are. I believe its a bout a 200 dollar a month difference correct? See if you don't have anything else your saving for or want to get a cheaper tv package if its worth the extra hp. I have no idea what your budget is like so its entirely up to you. But its never a good idea to work solely for your car
Old 12-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
orosa_83

Drives: Summit White/Black 2LT RS
Always knew I wanted the 2LT/RS... the 2LT is not only cheaper to buy, but it also saves you money on the long run (maintenance, gas, taxes and insurance.) However, if it was not my daily driver I would probably gone for the 2SS/RS.

I am super happy with my 2LT/RS, my next buy will be a Corvette.
orosa_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Dboy23
2G1FB1EV7A9100028

Drives: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Hemi
I have a 1LT and it's my daily driver, I actually came from a Grand Prix too and trust me it's a big step up. The V6 isn't a joke, faster than my friends 350Z which we found out this weekend . In the long run the 2LT will save you a bunch of cash on anything from Sticker Price, to Insurance, to Maintenance, to Gas Mileage.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:53 AM   #6
G.E.

Drives: black on black twenty ten ss/rs
I did struggle with this. Tough decision. I'd say get the 2lt the way that you plan on using it for your commute and running it into the ground over a long period of time. The 2ss can do this too, but you'd be saving a lot of money by going with the 2lt. However if you just wanna be a bad "a" go with the 2ss. Really the only downside of the lt is that a lot of people hate on it by saying is a shell and a camaro should have the big engine just because it's known for being powerful. That being said, I have heard that the v6 does pack some power. Hope you don't hurt yourself trying to make a decision oh yea, fyi i got the 2SS/RS.

So if money isnt all that much of a big deal then SS FTW.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
klatterblast

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ssrs blk.
EASY you only got one life to live 2ssrs all the way baby

Magnuson TVS2300,ported heads,cam,Hotchkis suspension. Weld 17”s, Mickey Thompson’s.
klatterblast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
Well, a 2SS would net you a higher resale value. But since you plan on running it into the ground...

Like the other fellow said, $200 a month is significant. Not to mention the savings on gas and the insurance payment. Thats alot of money that can be used for other things--including things to give your car its own touch. $200 over 5 years is $12000. With that kind of money, your car could run like a stock SS.

In the end, all I can say is I was put in the same position and I went with the V6. I'd take the V8 in a heartbeat too, and maybe someday I'll own one. But I certainly don't regret my decision. Its the best car I've ever owned.
Proud Owner of #168
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by "prima"Donna View Post
2LT/RS here!!!...it was never a decision to make...'been there, done that' with the V8 and since this is my daily driver and I can go fast enough in my ROCKETSHIP, the V6 was the way to go for me...
Better gas mileage, regular gas, and cheaper to insure...

Whatever YOU decide will be the right decision for YOU...we all bought what we wanted for our own personal reasons...

There is no right or wrong decision...just follow your heart and you can't go wrong...good luck to you, whatever you decide...

Either way, we all bought CAMAROS!!!.......

I think the 2LT/RS is the best of both worlds ..... This thing Hauls off the line and has plenty of power to play ....IMO ...
Old 12-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
fastal

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS, 2000 Z28
I've got a 2LT/RS and for me it came down to a 1SS or what I got. If I could have afforded a 2SS/RS with the same options I would have done it in a heartbeat. So even though my 2LT has good power, great looks, good handling, the SS power was still tempting, but I wanted all the stuff that comes with the 2LT
fastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #11
philipdistefano
Remember, Remember...

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Send a message via AIM to philipdistefano
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post

I think the 2LT/RS is the best of both worlds ..... This thing Hauls off the line and has plenty of power to play ....IMO ...

I use my Camaro as a daily driver much like the OP sounds like he will use his. When it came down to it, what made my decision were the finances. I'm pretty financially responsible, and the 2SS/RS would've been too big of an expense. I simply could not justify $6-7k more plus all of the other expenses (high octane gas, more for insurance, etc) for 100 more HP that I'd never take advantage of. If you race or if you have that macho-man-gotta-have-the-best attitude, I think the choice here is obvious, but it sounds like you'd be more than pleased with the 2LT/RS.
philipdistefano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:57 AM   #12
StealthMan

Drives: 88 IROC-Z Convert, 08 Jeep Rubicon
Would you buy a corvette with a 6 cylinder??
StealthMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:04 PM   #13
Pappi

Drives: 2010 IBM 2 LT RS
One more v6, vs. v8 thread...there must be 1,000,000 of these now

:(
Pappi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #14
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
i have one of each so i know either way im taking the camaro...hehe
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote