Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-27-2014, 04:42 PM   #29
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
If I tried this ole Flo would probably put the hammer down.....on my cancellation notice.
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #30
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Since I'm with Progressive already I just applied. Looking forward to any possible discount!
Old 01-27-2014, 05:56 PM   #31
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
Hard brakes (decelerating 7mph or more per second)
Aside from the unintended consequence of encouraging people to beat the yellow light mentioned earlier . . . I really do wonder if discouraging people from ever becoming comfortable with hard braking (and staying that way via occasional practice when traffic conditions permit) is a good thing at all.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:04 PM   #32
Slapshot

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Aside from the unintended consequence of encouraging people to beat the yellow light mentioned earlier . . . I really do wonder if discouraging people from ever becoming comfortable with hard braking (and staying that way via occasional practice when traffic conditions permit) is a good thing at all.

Norm
I couldn't agree more. While I can appreciate the fact that multiple "hard brakes" a day would indicate someone possibly tailgating, the ability to control a hard braking/defensive driving situation should be a goal of anyone on the road. There are so many variables on the road that simply cannot be taken into account. Nothing worse than the typical panic reaction of braking hard without taking into account an evasive maneuver as well.

For the sake of a discount, I'll play along.
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #33
Burn Notice24

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
I can see it now, someone suing their insurance company after they rear-end someone because they were afraid to brake too hard and screw up their discount…

BTW, how many miles/second is 1.2 g's of braking? LOL! No way would I earn a discount running one of those things…
A lot of us would have our rates go up after using one...
Burn Notice24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:20 PM   #34
OperativeXIV

Drives: 2012 Summit White 2LT/RS
Thanks for the great post! I was afraid to sign up because my driving can be a possibly considered a *little* aggressive (like 5 MPH over the limit to keep up with traffic), but I might as well try it. I switched to Progressive just at the beginning of this month and saved quite a bit - who knows, maybe it might save me a bit more.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:27 PM   #35
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
BTW, how many miles/second is 1.2 g's of braking? LOL! No way would I earn a discount running one of those things…
About 26.35 mph/second, or over 3.7 times what this snapshot thingie will ping you for doing. Even 0.7g is more than double.

FWIW, I'd heard of these things at least a year ago, but I don't remember whose.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:48 PM   #36
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
i just checked mine. Drive wise. it lists what your truck was doing and at 8pm on the 19 it recorded 2 extreme braking events. funny I was at work from 2:45pm to 11pm.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #37
Slapshot

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
i just checked mine. Drive wise. it lists what your truck was doing and at 8pm on the 19 it recorded 2 extreme braking events. funny I was at work from 2:45pm to 11pm.
I'd call them. I have scrutinized my reports quite a bit, haven't seen anything that shouldn't be there.
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #38
JCunningham

they show a more detailed description of each event if you click on it. on the detailed description it showed after 11pm when I was driving it. they have a chart with times but it doesnt match when you click on the event.
here is a list of what drivewise collects
http://www.allstate.com/landingpages...isedevice.aspx
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 01-27-2014, 09:46 PM   #39
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
I'm with progressive I actually had them ship me the devise after reading the fine print.... I decided to ship it back...this works well for some but living in NY/NJ metro area and having to keep it plugged in for 6 months....not for me

I drive it like I stole it

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #40
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Working 3-11pm, and getting a lot of overtime, I don't think this would be a smart move on my part.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:05 PM   #41
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I had the snapshot for my trailblazer last year. My current discount as a result of it is 27% discount on my policy the trailblazer.

The hard brakes are very sensitive to their monitoring. Be aware that it takes into account every drop of 7 mph per second as 1 hard brake. So in the case where someone cuts you off or say a deer comes running out into the highway, you can be hit with more than one hard brake per hit of the brake pedal.

See here I got hit with 6 hard brakes on the day, but when you check the times, 3 hard brakes in 3 seconds:

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #42
JCunningham

i get 5% out of 20% in my truck just because I work 3-11. dont bother with a M6 Camaro. take your foot off the gas in gear and touch the brake and its hard braking.