Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-11-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
Looney Tunes

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM auto
While I would not try this myself, my installer wrapped the Venture Shield around the hood and fenders edges for a cleaner install without visible lines. If it is pre-cut shorter, then I'm not sure how you would do it. He used a computer program to pre-cut the sheets. I paid $600 out the door. I watched some of his work and it isn't real easy especially if you don't have patience (which I don't). Some things are best left to professionals. It took him about 6 hours.
Looney Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #16
htp autoworks
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 Jeep SRT-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2032Ceta View Post
Thanks for the info...I have the hockey stripes and the solid piece on the hood. The kit I purchased is pre-cut for the camaro SS. This should be an adventure. I'll post pics when I finish. Car is currenly in the shop getting the painted GFX installed. I don't know what I will do to protect the painted GFX. I guess I will have to order some material and cut it to fit...
Let me know if you need any pointers. I will also be up in Oklahoma City in a few weeks to do some install work. I use ClearMask AR as well... very good film and easy to work with. But that said it is still not easy to do. Viper1Cobra did very well for it being his first time. I was happy to help him out and will do the same with you when you get ready.
htp autoworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #17
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary H50 2SS
Thanks for your assistance and pointers. I think it turned out better than I thought it would. I appreciate your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
Let me know if you need any pointers. I will also be up in Oklahoma City in a few weeks to do some install work. I use ClearMask AR as well... very good film and easy to work with. But that said it is still not easy to do. Viper1Cobra did very well for it being his first time. I was happy to help him out and will do the same with you when you get ready.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #18
Spiv
Why you gotta be hatin'?

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Hmm I think I might get the front bumper done and the area behind the rear wheels. I was gonna get a splash guard but hated the look, this provides a much more subtle and satisfying solution.

I've had the benefit of hitting some buys and getting rained on, so I can see (from dirt and what not) where the problem areas are for possible damage.

And I think I might get over the line after a while. My only concern is the paint not covered fading faster.
Spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #19
Looney Tunes

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT ABM auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiv View Post
My only concern is the paint not covered fading faster.
According to Venture Shield, the paint will fade at the same rate as the areas not covered.
Looney Tunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:24 PM   #20
2032Ceta

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2009 Nissan Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by htp autoworks View Post
HTP Autoworks - My kit came in today and I watched the install video which was pretty good. From what I can tell, the most important aspect of installing is PATIENCE...

I do have a question on clean paint...do I need to strip the wax (Zaino) off prior to my install or can I just wash and dry?

Oh, one more question, I have painted GFX on as of tomorrow and was wondering what are my options for covering the chin area and behind the wheels? The website I ordered from doesn't have a kit for these areas of the GFX.

Thanks for you help.
2032Ceta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #21
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Quote:
HTP Autoworks - My kit came in today and I watched the install video which was pretty good. From what I can tell, the most important aspect of installing is PATIENCE...

I do have a question on clean paint...do I need to strip the wax (Zaino) off prior to my install or can I just wash and dry?

Oh, one more question, I have painted GFX on as of tomorrow and was wondering what are my options for covering the chin area and behind the wheels? The website I ordered from doesn't have a kit for these areas of the GFX.

Thanks for you help.
Have you put it on yet? If so how did it go? Looking forward to seeing your finished results. It is something that you appreciate more when you put your own sweat into it after it is done.
viper1cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:33 PM   #22
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
ive seen shops do worse. nice stab at the cat.
do you know whos kit it was you used?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #23
2032Ceta

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1cobra View Post
Have you put it on yet? If so how did it go? Looking forward to seeing your finished results. It is something that you appreciate more when you put your own sweat into it after it is done.
I haven't installed it yet. I was hoping to do it this weekend but my car is still at the dealership for the GFX install. It's been there a week. Long story...Anyway, I plan on doing it next weekend.

Did you strip the wax off the front of the car prior to your install?
Old 08-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #24
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Quote:
I haven't installed it yet. I was hoping to do it this weekend but my car is still at the dealership for the GFX install. It's been there a week. Long story...Anyway, I plan on doing it next weekend.

Did you strip the wax off the front of the car prior to your install?
No, I used cleaned the car and then used the alcohol/water solution to re-clean the area to remove any contamination. It seems like it was enough to do the trick.
Old 08-15-2009, 08:23 PM   #25
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot ss View Post
ive seen shops do worse. nice stab at the cat.
do you know whos kit it was you used?
Yes, I purchased the kit from steve@chipgard.com.

He is a very helpful gentleman, that convinced me to try the install on my own just through e-mail. Send him a message if you are interested in attempting this on your own.

You can also check out this link on E-Bay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2010-...Q5fAccessories

If interested he will ship you the material to include the tools necessary to perform the install, a 34 min. video, and the actual 3M Material. Via E-mail he will send you other information. I still have contact, even after I finished.

Please see attached PDF File for the pieces that are pre-cut.

Have fun, enjoy and good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CHEVY CAMARO 2010[1].pdf (83.5 KB, 294 views)

Last edited by viper1cobra; 08-15-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:19 PM   #26
hot ss

Drives: aqua 2ss l99
looks like film designs.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #27
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

They are actually the pre-cut patterns for the film.

The shown picture is for the SS, but there is a pattern also for the V6's that do not have the cutout for the mail slot.

The image is to give an idea of the coverage area of the film, and the different areas available for coverage.

I will post more pictures later of the A-Pillars and the Roof.
Old 08-21-2009, 05:36 PM   #28
2032Ceta

Tomorrow is the day

Going to attempt the clear bra install tomorrow morning. I hope to get completed by Sunday. Anyway, I have a few questions for the pros...

Can you drive the car right after the install or do you need it to cure?

I have added the painted body kit and need film for my front airdam and the sides skirts. Where can I get film? I figure I will need to cut it myself.

BTW, here are some pictures of the car at the dealership yesterday.
Attached Images