Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-16-2014, 10:13 PM   #1
Kleeeb

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS
Send a message via MSN to Kleeeb Send a message via Skype™ to Kleeeb
So I rear ended someone...

Short story is, I was in the turning lane when the car in front of my SLAMMED on their brakes, because the truck in front of them slammed on their brakes. The little Altima didn't have a problem stopping before hitting the truck, fortunately for him, but our cars being tanks didn't help my situation either. I slammed on my brakes, but before there was time to do much more I skidded into the altima in front of me.

Fortunately for both of us, nothing really happened. Our first words were both, "Oh wow!" as we stared in awe at the little damage that was done. My license plate was dented up, and his car had no visible damage. Luckily for me he just decided to go on his way, and not call and file an accident report.

But upon further inspection, I noticed that the corner near my headlights is cracked a bit... I am assuming that is from the stress placed on the bumper, but I was wondering if it was a problem or something that needed to be worried about?

Also, is there anything else I should check for, damage wise? Thanks again!
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2014, 12:59 AM   #2
lawdog

Drives: 2010 SSII w RS & Sunroof Yellow
Thats a crack in your bumper, it will probably spread over time, it will need to be replaced or repaired. The labor to repair it may be as much as buying a new bumper and spraying it, depending upon the speed and quality of labor at your body shop. not going to be cheap if you want it fixed correctly.
lawdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
The one good thing about having a front plate I suppose
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
jkchambless
Austin LT

Drives: 1LT - Airaid,JBA Axleback,VMax PTB
Yes, there is a good possibility that the crack will grow due to normal vibrations. Typically it required the front bumper cover to be replaced. I have yet to find a body shop that will warrant the work patching a crack like that.
jkchambless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 07:37 AM   #5
Kleeeb

Update: I noticed some warping actually after further inspection. In order to repair it fully, I am going to have to replace the bumper. Another thing I noticed, which may or may not be caused by this incident, is that my car is very sluggish. There is also a ticking noise in the engine bay, that gets faster when I accelerate. Now it may have been like that before, but I am just now noticing it and it is of somewhat of a concern.

Another thing you guys could help me with, maybe: even since before the accident, my car always sounds like something is falling out from underneath it when I start to go after the car has been off. It is almost as if something is caught up, and there is slack in the drive train or something. Sometimes, I do notice that the car will hesitate to move, and then all of a sudden jerk forward. Any ideas?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
So sorry to hear that man, IMO it wasn't your fault. Can't stand those jerkoffs who slam their brakes when others are clearly behind them.

How fast were you going when you hit the Altima that could've started the ticking noise?
Old 10-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
Kleeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingSpeed View Post
So sorry to hear that man, IMO it wasn't your fault. Can't stand those jerkoffs who slam their brakes when others are clearly behind them.

I can't really sense if there is sarcasm here, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt! Thanks, it really was unavoidable. I could have tried to switch lanes really quick, and risk cornering them or hitting another car from the side, and I just couldn't do that. I'm just glad this is all that happened. Like I said, i halfway expected my bumper to be falling off! +1 for chevy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #8
CruisingSpeed
The Stealth Bumblebee

Drives: Black 2013 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleeeb View Post
I can't really sense if there is sarcasm here, but I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt! Thanks, it really was unavoidable. I could have tried to switch lanes really quick, and risk cornering them or hitting another car from the side, and I just couldn't do that. I'm just glad this is all that happened. Like I said, i halfway expected my bumper to be falling off! +1 for chevy.

Nah, I mean sometimes (in the case of the truck) they maybe could've eased to a stop instead of slamming on their brakes causing rear end collisions. I've had too many frustrations with those types of people. Specially on the highway when the car 100 yards ahead of them taps their brakes a little and the other car in front of you decides to mash it down to the floor.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
Kleeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisingSpeed View Post
Nah, I mean sometimes (in the case of the truck) they maybe could've eased to a stop instead of slamming on their brakes causing rear end collisions. I've had too many frustrations with those types of people. Specially on the highway when the car 100 yards ahead of them taps their brakes a little and the other car in front of you decides to mash it down to the floor.

Totally agree...

Old 10-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
for the time being, I wonder if you could get one of those matte black stickers that go across the car in the grille area, I think Bigworm makes them and will also install down by DFW.

they call it a front grille black out panel

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 12:10 PM   #11
Kleeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbubbaklein View Post
for the time being, I wonder if you could get one of those matte black stickers that go across the car in the grille area, I think Bigworm makes them and will also install down by DFW.

they call it a front grille black out panel
Sounds like a good idea actually, but it doesn't really help that my bumper is dented/warped a little. I am actually going to order a new SS bumper I thin, and see how much an SS hood would cost also, while I am at it.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #12
ssrs2lt

Drives: too many
man that sucks! I've done the same thing you have, just not with my camaro. I'd do something so the crack doesn't expand. Keep an eye on it, if it starts to spiderweb...