Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-05-2011, 04:26 PM   #15
xLoGiK1

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
Uh no. It is considered not safe because a tire is constructed in a manner to "seat" the bead to the edge of the rim, over a "safety lip" (a raised ridge that runs completely around the rim near the base of the lip). This is designed to hold the tire on the wheel in lower pressure events and provide a measure of safety/retention until the problem can be addressed.

Even this is not infallible and continued running while under-inflated (or other duress) will cause the tire to separate from the wheel and go flat.

Now factor in this "stretched" installation which constantly pulls the tire away from the sealing edge of the rim and tries to pull the tire up and over the safety lip and you have a setup which in most eyes would be considered UNSAFE.
You obviously have not seen what a slight stretched tire looks like. This is SAFE and does no damage at all.

I did, however, say that running a severely stretched tire is UNSAFE and indeed dangerous. Read my first or second post.
xLoGiK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #16
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Now I'm not one to get into the middle of things, but I just want to clarify here. You're saying that an extremely stretched tire IS NOT safe, correct? And that a slighly stretched tire IS safe, correct?

I'm not really up on what "stretching" does to tires and wheels, etc. Hell I plasti dipped my wheels, that's how cheap I am with wheels. So I'm going to try an analogy to help myself understand it. Please let me know if I am understanding it all correctly: Just like with wheels having correct tire sizes and limits, we have a blood alcohol content limit for driving a vehicle (.08). So you're saying that if I'm only slightly over .08, let's say .12 (which would be one more drink for most people), that I'm still OK to drive because it's only slightly over the limit. BUT, if I had a BAC of say .20, well then, then I'm not OK to drive. This is how I'm understanding your argument, so just let me know if I'm wrong.

Drunk driving:
.08 = legal limit
.12 = eh I'm still OK to drive, even though it's not recommended
.20 = too drunk to drive
Old 07-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #17
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by xLoGiK1 View Post
You obviously have not seen what a slight stretched tire looks like. This is SAFE and does no damage at all.

I did, however, say that running a severely stretched tire is UNSAFE and indeed dangerous. Read my first or second post.
Yeah, all the ones I had to fix (20 years as a tech) said that right up to the point it failed!! Think about it, IF YOU HAVE TO STRETCH a tire at all to get it to seat up, you are operating it outside of its design and it is not safe... I normally wouldn't care but when it causes harm to others (and it does) and not just the idiots who choose to do it to their cars, it pisses me off. I lost a good friend at a young age cuz some dipsh1t did this on his car and had a failure that caused him to sideswipe my friend on his motorcycle and kill him!!
Old 07-05-2011, 05:54 PM   #18
xLoGiK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Now I'm not one to get into the middle of things, but I just want to clarify here. You're saying that an extremely stretched tire IS NOT safe, correct? And that a slighly stretched tire IS safe, correct?

I'm not really up on what "stretching" does to tires and wheels, etc. Hell I plasti dipped my wheels, that's how cheap I am with wheels. So I'm going to try an analogy to help myself understand it. Please let me know if I am understanding it all correctly: Just like with wheels having correct tire sizes and limits, we have a blood alcohol content limit for driving a vehicle (.08). So you're saying that if I'm only slightly over .08, let's say .12 (which would be one more drink for most people), that I'm still OK to drive because it's only slightly over the limit. BUT, if I had a BAC of say .20, well then, then I'm not OK to drive. This is how I'm understanding your argument, so just let me know if I'm wrong.

Drunk driving:
.08 = legal limit
.12 = eh I'm still OK to drive, even though it's not recommended
.20 = too drunk to drive
You're comparing apples and oranges here. Drunk driving is at a totally different level than stretching a tire and it should not be tolerated period.

And I'm not trying to argue with anyone. I'm stating my opinions and from what i've seen as of today.
Quote:
Yeah, all the ones I had to fix (20 years as a tech) said that right up to the point it failed!! Think about it, IF YOU HAVE TO STRETCH a tire at all to get it to seat up, you are operating it outside of its design and it is not safe... I normally wouldn't care but when it causes harm to others (and it does) and not just the idiots who choose to do it to their cars, it pisses me off. I lost a good friend at a young age cuz some dipsh1t did this on his car and had a failure that caused him to sideswipe my friend on his motorcycle and kill him!!
Sorry about your friend, I really am. Those are rare cases though. I mean c'mon there's a whole Stance Nation with cars full of stretched tires. It can be dangerous if people don't know what they're doing. I'm just implying that with a slight stretched tire, nothing will happen and I can vouch for that because two of my buddies have ZERO problems with their wheels/cars.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #19
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Sorry about your friend, I really am. Those are rare cases though. I mean c'mon there's a whole Stance Nation with cars full of stretched tires. It can be dangerous if people don't know what they're doing. I'm just implying that with a slight stretched tire, nothing will happen and I can vouch for that because two of my buddies have ZERO problems with their wheels/cars.
Thanks for the sentiment.

What you have to realize is that there is ALWAYS a scenario where it WILL become an issue. Most of them just haven't experienced that scenario. Just sayin'...
Old 07-05-2011, 10:20 PM   #20
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Who said that people are going to be driving around with bald tires? You don't need to have stretched tires to be driving around with bald tires. That can happen to anyone if they don't change their tires when they're completely worn.

Now you're obviously going onto a different subject. Obviously when you stretch the tire and are running more aggressive camber then the tires are going to get bald faster.

Assuming that people are not that stupid, they will change their tires every so often.

Other than that, yes it is safe.
I wasn't saying stretched tires are bald, I'm making a parallel argument. That something can be deemed safe up until the point where it's not. It doesn't matter, I really don't have a dog in this fight I just won't do it myself.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #21
xLoGiK1

Quote:
Thanks for the sentiment.

What you have to realize is that there is ALWAYS a scenario where it WILL become an issue. Most of them just haven't experienced that scenario. Just sayin'...
Yeah I totally get where you're coming from. It's not something I would do anyway. It's just something I've seen since two of my buddies have this whole "stretched" looked on their cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
I wasn't saying stretched tires are bald, I'm making a parallel argument. That something can be deemed safe up until the point where it's not. It doesn't matter, I really don't have a dog in this fight I just won't do it myself.
I wouldn't do it either trust me. It's not my taste or style. Just giving my opinion on what I think and what I've seen.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:00 PM   #22
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Stretched tires...

More here with background.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...81&postcount=7
Old 07-05-2011, 11:26 PM   #23
xLoGiK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
Stretched tires...

More here with background.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...81&postcount=7
If I didn't read the thread wrong, that was an 11" wide wheel on a 295?

That shouldn't even stretch the tire. An 11 should be able to sit just fine with a 295
Old 07-05-2011, 11:59 PM   #24
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
If I didn't read the thread wrong, that was an 11" wide wheel on a 295?

That shouldn't even stretch the tire. An 11 should be able to sit just fine with a 295
Yeah, that wasn't because the tire was stretched. It was because 22" wheels with less than 3" of sidewall is NOT a performance set up.

Continental approves that size tire for a 10.0"-11.0" rim.

I hate stretched tires more than anyone http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148055
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:20 AM   #25
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

It was a 285 on a 11" wheel.

I'm running 315's on those same wheels (only two sets in the world) and they sit nice and flush. even a 295 would have been fine, but the builder of the white car had a deal with Conti and was just using the 285 because it was free.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:31 AM   #26
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindz View Post
It was a 285 on a 11" wheel.

I'm running 315's on those same wheels (only two sets in the world) and they sit nice and flush. even a 295 would have been fine, but the builder of the white car had a deal with Conti and was just using the 285 because it was free.
Your original post said 295. they look like Continental Extreme contact DWS tires and they don't make a 285 22" tire. They do make a 295 22"tire. http://www.conti-online.com/generato...tasheet_en.pdf

Also, I don't think the wheel is anywhere near destroyed. Looks like it can easily be fixed.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #27
xLoGiK1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Yeah, that wasn't because the tire was stretched. It was because 22" wheels with less than 3" of sidewall is NOT a performance set up.

Continental approves that size tire for a 10.0"-11.0" rim.

I hate stretched tires more than anyone http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148055
Yeah lol I remember your thread. It's kind of obvious that with less than a 3" sidewall, it shouldn't be used for any type of performance event.

I can see how that would be VERY risky.

Definitely user error with the white SS. That sucks cause those wheels are nice too
Old 07-06-2011, 01:21 AM   #28
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
Your original post said 295. they look like Continental Extreme contact DWS tires and they don't make a 285 22" tire. They do make a 295 22"tire. http://www.conti-online.com/generato...tasheet_en.pdf

Also, I don't think the wheel is anywhere near destroyed. Looks like it can easily be fixed.
good catch. my mistake. I tried to put that memory of the wheels out of my mind. The wheel was fixed, but at the cost of a decent chunk of change. It was definitely shocking to see the car as the bead broke and the bare wheel ground the car to a halt.