Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Photos | Spyshots | Video | Media Gallery

Old 02-01-2008, 04:08 PM   #127
rocketman 12
SOON.........

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS Z-281LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I'm sure we'd all love to have a Gold-plated bowtie on our cars
I wouldn't, somebody would pry it off in a heartbeat!
Old 02-01-2008, 04:17 PM   #128
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Okay, I've calmed down a bit now and I want to calmly try and put more of my point into words.

I love this car. I dream about this car. I look forward to speed home on the highway with this car when I've bought it. I think there's been a great great GREAT transition from concept to pre-production prototype on this car. I love the interior and I think the entire car has a flavor of it's own. A powerful, muscly, angry flavor. So that's why I hate seeing a regular fuel door on it, and on the side as well.

I LOVED the position up top, thought it was awesome. I mean, if you made it a gas cap like the one on my dads Yamaha Varadero motorcycle it wouldn't detract any from aerodynamics since that thing is sleek and fits right in with the lines of his motorcycle. I realise that this is not final. I realise that it's still in testing. I realise that it might be changed. But please GM, please Scott, please everyone involved in the project, PLEASE...if you are keeping it there, at least give us a gas cap and not just a fuel door. Even small Peugots have nice gas caps, surely it can be that big an expense. It could even be part of an apperance package, just please let us have our gas cap.

Thank you for hearing me out.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:25 PM   #129
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbg View Post
I'm glad that people are complaining about what they see. If anyone from GM is reading these boards, then it's the only chance to voice your opinion.

I don't get why many of you want to say "whoo-ray" for GM. It's like some baseball or football team you're rooting for. If GM is making bad decisions by making changes, then express them. Good for all of you who have.

What's worse is those of you who assume that GM is making changes for good reasons. NOPE. On what basis do you make such an assumption?...None....just 'cause you like GM, or something silly like that.

Someone on this thread said it right...it's about money! It would cost them too much to put that gas cap on top.

The change to the rear bumper and the backup lights....that's just poor choices by GM designers. And no, don't post giving me some made up reasons as to why they had to do that, like to meet some code, etc. We all know they can design just about anything they want.

The change to the rear bumper and the placement of the backup lights was a design change. A very poor design change at that.

I say to GM...make it like the concept! Sure, change the things you have to, but not those that you don't.
'sbg', I repsect your feelings/thoughts, and I'd ask that you do the same to those of us, myself included, who say "whoo-ray for GM". As Scott has said numerous times, "you can't please everyone". The vast majority like what they see so far, and for those that don't, its unfortunate, but your feelings are respected. Comparing our loyalty to our favorite teams is a good analogy, and we all should be honest enough and willing to speak up when something isn't as we fell it should be. But to call it a "bad decision" without knowing the full story is wrong.

As for GM "making bad decisions", (ie; placement of the gas cap, etc.,) is WRONG as well. I'm certain it has been well researched and planned before a final decsion has been made. If you, I, or anyone else, does not like where something is, how something looks, etc., well then that's our "opinion". But to say it's a "bad decision" by GM based on our dislike for something is just wrong.

Finally, you're right, GM can "design" anything they want. But! Taking that "design" into production requires changes in most circumstances, re; safety reasons, practicality, etc., and is not just to change for the sake of change.

You're very much entitled to your opinion, but to call the decisions by GM "bad" before knowing the reasons, as well as finding fault with the people who love everything they see so far, is wrong. Do not blame people for their loyalty. Just as you have aright to voice your opinions, so do those that like what they see.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #130
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbg View Post
I'm glad that people are complaining about what they see. If anyone from GM is reading these boards, then it's the only chance to voice your opinion.

I don't get why many of you want to say "whoo-ray" for GM. It's like some baseball or football team you're rooting for. If GM is making bad decisions by making changes, then express them. Good for all of you who have.

What's worse is those of you who assume that GM is making changes for good reasons. NOPE. On what basis do you make such an assumption?...None....just 'cause you like GM, or something silly like that.

Someone on this thread said it right...it's about money! It would cost them too much to put that gas cap on top.

The change to the rear bumper and the backup lights....that's just poor choices by GM designers. And no, don't post giving me some made up reasons as to why they had to do that, like to meet some code, etc. We all know they can design just about anything they want.

The change to the rear bumper and the placement of the backup lights was a design change. A very poor design change at that.

I say to GM...make it like the concept! Sure, change the things you have to, but not those that you don't.
If there wasn't a good reason to make the changes they why would they be made? Why would GM waste the time and money on making pointless reasons? You clearly do not understand the engineering design process. Thats fine, most people don't even know it exists. But any change that is made is a compromise that is made in order to meet a particular constraint, typically safety or cost. You are right that they can come up with any design that they want and it will probably be up to current safety standards. But I dont think anyone is going to pay 35k for a base V6 Camaro. Why do you believe that GM wants to make it look less amazing from the concept cars that (almost) everybody loves, purely for shits and giggles? How long do you think it takes them to go and redesign the gas filler? or the bumper that you hate so much? I'm going to guess it at about 2-3 weeks minimum, if they want to do things fast. And it will cost them a fair amount of money too. And you truly believe that they would just do this for no good reason?

I advise you to try and find the book "Mechanical Design Process" written by David G. Ullman. ISBN: 0072373385. Its used in our 4th year capstone design course. I think you could learn alot from it. There are many other books on engineering out there so dont think that your options are limmited to that. I would offer you mine, but I might want to reffer to it every now and then when I am an actual engineer and not just a student.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #131
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
'sbg', I repsect your feelings/thoughts, and I'd ask that you do the same to those of us, myself included, who say "whoo-ray for GM". As Scott has said numerous times, "you can't please everyone". The vast majority like what they see so far, and for those that don't, its unfortunate, but your feelings are respected. Comparing our loyalty to our favorite teams is a good analogy, and we all should be honest enough and willing to speak up when something isn't as we fell it should be. But to call it a "bad decision" without knowing the full story is wrong.

As for GM "making bad decisions", (ie; placement of the gas cap, etc.,) is WRONG as well. I'm certain it has been well researched and planned before a final decsion has been made. If you, I, or anyone else, does not like where something is, how something looks, etc., well then that's our "opinion". But to say it's a "bad decision" by GM based on our dislike for something is just wrong.

Finally, you're right, GM can "design" anything they want. But! Taking that "design" into production requires changes in most circumstances, re; safety reasons, practicality, etc., and is not just to change for the sake of change.

You're very much entitled to your opinion, but to call the decisions by GM "bad" before knowing the reasons, as well as finding fault with the people who love everything they see so far, is wrong. Do not blame people for their loyalty. Just as you have aright to voice your opinions, so do those that like what they see.
+1

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #132
Roflmao
Insane Assylum Escapee

Drives: 1998 Camry
Ah well I might as well post here too haha.

The gas cap on top was cool, but there are many practical reasons for doing what they did. I don't know about everyone else here, but I personally will admit I am not a professional pumper, and no matter what I do and how careful I am, there always seems to be a few drops left in the nozzle before I pump or after I finish pumping. Yes 19 times out of 20 I will be careful and not spill anything, but that one time I spill something on the paint while I'm in a hurry to get to work or on the phone or in bad weather will make me not happy, so personally I like the gas cap on the side... Not to mention anything that will shave a few bucks off the cost so I can get one to begin with is great by me. I always thought the time for a sports car to really shine was sitting on the line revving the engine to a girl or something, not at the friggin gas pump.

On the less mentioned reverse lights, I also think those are in a good place. The brake lights are clean and putting the reverse lights up there would take away from the clean look of them, and putting them in the valance like the Vette is retarded because of the way the tailpipes are situated (Vette has theirs centered on the car, these are to the sides) so you can't put them centered in the lower valance. Putting them below on the lower back end seems as good a spot as any. It looks good on the 350Z so what's wrong with it on the Camaro? And as for the jutting out of the bumper, its a very minor detail that MOST likely has something to do with regulations if not another reason (personally I think its a clearance to put a spare tire in the trunk and still meet safety regulations without adding more length to the car). I would put money on if GM did it the other way and just extended the entire back end so there was no lip on the bumper, everyone would STILL complain that the car was changed and they should make the back end shorter to look like the concept when it was impossible to do with current regulations.

To sum it up, kickass car, I'm incredibly excited GM looks like they are making a car that I can get the feeling of "holy crap they made this car for ME?! not anyone else, but MEEEEEE!!! AND I CAN AFFORD IT?!?! TIME TO HUMP A WALL"
Roflmao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:53 PM   #133
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmdrum79 View Post
My Pontiac G6 has the gas door on the passenger side.
Aveo is on the passenger side as well.
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #134
HotRodEwe
lost my mind...

Drives: 86 95 69 camaros 09 challenger
thats it! no more more aruging!! im taking this gap cap and im getting rid of it! lmao
Old 02-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #135
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
wouldn't do it. I need a handful. I'm 6'5, so I have big hands.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:08 PM   #136
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
GM "could" install a top mounted filler lid on the production car, there's no reason why they couldn't --the Audi TT has it. Also, installing backup lights on the bumper seems like a bad place to put them. Do you think they'd survive cracking from a five mph impact?
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:06 PM   #137
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
OMG I would never buy a Camaro with TRIANGLES painted all over it, Fake yellow lights or a Trailer hitch!!! (There is a device like it on the first pic). I think might cry now!!

LMAO everyone is freaking out. Just remember 3 simple words "KEEP THE FAITH"!!
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #138
TheMadHatter99
Kept the Faith

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
OMG!!!!111one!! What a terrible fuel cap location! You mean I have to walk all the way around my car to fill up? What BS. Frankly they should take the passenger seat out and put the filler cap there, that way I don't even have to open my door to fill up.

And it should be chrome.

[/end sarcasm]

Last edited by TheMadHatter99; 02-01-2008 at 07:30 PM.
TheMadHatter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:14 PM   #139
Fbodybuddy

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8
The filler cap location looks like a done deal, OK, I'm over it now. Hopefully the front and rear bumpers won't look like that. Done with that. I still think the smaller light in the grille is a directional signal. Concept cars don't need turn signals, real cars do. I'm gonna forget all about speculation. I'll wait until I see it in the showroom, kick the tires, and sit behind the wheel. Then I'll hold my breath and look at the sticker.................
Fbodybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:23 PM   #140
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
i honestly dont see the problem of were the gas cap is. in fact i think is better than the drivers side so the driver doesnt have a chance of accidently opening his door and hitting sumthin in the gas station(gas pump, curb w/e).

gm is on the right path with this car. now if they make hide-away lights as a option this car will be a freaken beast.

keep up the good work gm