Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England

Old 09-26-2010, 09:17 PM   #1
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Drives: Black 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
NEC5 Autocross and Car Show Event

Featured on CAMARO5 HOMEPAGE.

Today was a very exciting day for NEC5 (New England Camaro 5). We had our first event as the regional club! As part of the New England Region Sports Car Club of America Autocross day, NEC5 partook in both the autocross racing and we held our own exclusive car show.

For those not in the know, autocross (different from motorcross - we were not on dirt roads with big jumps) is a timed event in which one car drives a flat course laid out by orange cones. There are slalom runs, gates, tight turns, and short straight ways. There are many different stock and modified classes, including Kart cars. The 5th Gen Camaros fall into the F-class, right along side the Mustangs (of which there was maybe one?). NER-SCCA ran this event at an old airfield in Devens, Massachusetts. This is the same location where the MA State Police do their officer defensive (offensive) driver training. The course was about 1.5miles long with times (for the Camaros at least) around 60 to 70 seconds. A penalty of 2seconds is added to a driver's time for each cone knocked out.

There were 10 of us in the autocross running. We all learned something about our cars and our ability, as 9 of us were novices to the sport. The eighth runner drove his supercharged Lingenfelter modified Camaro - he's a member of NER and he's in it for season points

In addition to the racing, we had an additional 13 members with 11 cars come for our meet and greet and club car show (that's 19 C5 cars total). The shine from our vehicles could probably be seen from space!

We had trophies for the top three best times for the autocross and trophies for the top three cars in the car show. We even had dash plaques for all the participants. There was even a pity trophy...but there be more on that later.

Now for some pictures!
Early morning meet up at our rally point before going to the event. In the picture we have chevy3 (nice 3, man!), sterlingnotes (also in the picture), 2010BumbleBee, 95RedCamaroz28, molloni, Eric Baker

Preping for Tech Inspection (adding air to tires, putting on the numbers, covering leading edges with tape to protect against cones...)

Cars left to right - chevy3, sterlingnotes, epstein, 2010BumbleBee, Eric Baker, 95RedCamaroz28, and molloni

Lined up for Tech Inspection

Some of the members hanging out in the pit area

Dragon Tats, FiLTHy PHiL SS/RS, 2010CamaroRS, 95RedCamaroz28 and friend, chevy3, Duflar, and mjn56

And for some racing action

molloni

epstein

2010BumbleBee

95RedCamaroz28

600hp-lpe

chevy3

sterlingnotes

Eric Baker

Duflar

The winners of the car show were
First Place - Coupe

Second Place - 2010CamaroRS

Third Place - FIRECAM

The results from the autocross have not yet been officially released, so there isn't anything for that yet.

There was a Pity Award. It was meant for the racer who took out the most cones, but since everyone did pretty good, it went to another of our members. I think we can all commiserate with Tessa on not only because of her recent accident that left her without our beloved Cherry for a few weeks, but also because of her Malibu Hybrid that she was given as her loaner (at least it's a Chevy)...

The cone says "Oh no, not another learning experience"

I want to thank 600hp-lpe for pitching the idea to me in the beginning. We pulled this off with only 5weeks of planning. It was a great idea, and we had such a spectacular turn out. We got to meet several members (part of the purpose of the event). The trophies were great, the dash plaques were very nice. They say "1st Annual" and I hope we can do it again next year.
I really want to thank the members for showing up. I hope everyone had a really good time and found it an event worth attending. I think we may have a few new autocross runners because of this.
Thanks to Z28 Autobot and NEXUS New England for coming out and taking a bunch of pictures (some of which I used here - I hope you don't mind; I didn't get to do my normal "picture of each member and their car" this time).
Thanks also to ChevyTech, Hair Nation SS, and chevy3's daughter for taking a bunch of pictures too, many of which I posted here.
Thanks to FiLTHy PHiL SS/RS for keepin' the clipboard while I was no able to keep track of everything.

I have a bunch more pictures that I hope to post soon. I encourage all our members to post their pictures here. Some of our members also took video of their runs - post your YouTube videos!

More pics from Duflar:

Old 09-26-2010, 10:11 PM   #2
Patfan1987
CGM is the Best! Thx GM

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro, Auto + Sunroof
I will def be at the next one, tell me someone got video though??

Proud Owner of a CGM 2 LT/RS Auto Transmission w/Sunroof and Spare Tire
Patfan1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 AM   #3
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
A funny thing happened to me on my last run of the day. I had placed my NEC5 dash plaque inside my center console to keep safe. When I went into the first slalom it somehow worked it's way out and stabbed me in my ribs. I when I got out of the slalom I reached down and shoved it into the pocket on the back of the passenger seat. It got all bent up on me from the slalom stabbing... that thing hurts!
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
I'd like to thank 600 and Molloni for this ex day.I haven't had this much fun in a Long time.running the track was very cool. Epstein was rocking his car on the track and dam he posted some fast times. Can't Wait for next years runs. Ooo yea the trophy is now in western mass with 2010 camaro rs. Hoping I did the (3)justice. I was pretty happy posting in the 58+ time line. Man these cars rock and I'm loving my Rs more now than ever. I was thinking of doing an upgrade to a Ss but after this weekend I DON'T THINK SO. This car has it all.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #5
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Yes, at the autocross event, the V-6's had just as good a chance as the v-8 cars.
It's hard to use all the power the cars have. People driving learned a few things about their cars and how they handle at the edge.

Everyone I spoke with had a great day.

I will edit the on track video and post a link after I edit them.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #6
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingnotes View Post
A funny thing happened to me on my last run of the day. I had placed my NEC5 dash plaque inside my center console to keep safe. When I went into the first slalom it somehow worked it's way out and stabbed me in my ribs. I when I got out of the slalom I reached down and shoved it into the pocket on the back of the passenger seat. It got all bent up on me from the slalom stabbing... that thing hurts!

Sterling, PM me your address and i'll get a replacement dash plaque in the mail.

Supercharged SS, I have a dash plaque for you as well. send me a PM.
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:01 AM   #7
Tessa
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT with silver rallys

Me and my cone....
Old 09-27-2010, 08:38 AM   #8
Duflar

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Great time

The Auto Cross and Car Show was a fun experience. I do need to study up on the gates and boxes so I'll recognize them in the future. And not be so On/Off on the peddel thru the slalom. I learned alot about my car and how it handels. Can't wait for the next one. Here's some photos I took.
Attached Images

Duflar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #9
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

Drives: '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
i have video...chevy3's second run...ill post a link to it from youtube in a bit

The Few, The Proud, The Hyper Blue Metallics

DT shorties.BBK Intake.FlowMaster AT.Eibach 1'' drop.Hurst Short Throw (44% reduction).Unrestricted Motorsports Gen 1 Style Rear Spoiler.Custom Aqua Blue Metallic Interior Panels.RS Embroidered Head Rests.Interior LED by Oracle.Illuminated Bowtie by Oracle.Footwell LED by Oracle.Grille LED by Oracle.Functional Headliner Console Toggle Switches for LED Lighting.Aqua Blue Engine Cover.RotoFab Radiator Cover.Aqua Blue Fuse Box Cover from RPI Designs.Much More
2010CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #10
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

Drives: '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

The Few, The Proud, The Hyper Blue Metallics

DT shorties.BBK Intake.FlowMaster AT.Eibach 1'' drop.Hurst Short Throw (44% reduction).Unrestricted Motorsports Gen 1 Style Rear Spoiler.Custom Aqua Blue Metallic Interior Panels.RS Embroidered Head Rests.Interior LED by Oracle.Illuminated Bowtie by Oracle.Footwell LED by Oracle.Grille LED by Oracle.Functional Headliner Console Toggle Switches for LED Lighting.Aqua Blue Engine Cover.RotoFab Radiator Cover.Aqua Blue Fuse Box Cover from RPI Designs.Much More
2010CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
I wish I was there !

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:23 AM   #12
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Chris that's awsome thanks for posting the vid. Not to make any one feel bad about missing this event but dammmm you missed big if you didn't go to this. 600 is a very cool dude and the track runs were frigging awsome. I also met afew new friends (now that rocks).
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #13
molloni
Capt. Organization!

Drives: Black 2010 2LT/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 Bumblebee View Post
I wish I was there !
For the longest time, I thought it was you who was going to be there! I even thought you gave them an alias when registering for the event...Then, at the rally point, I met 2010BumbleBee (no space, big "B")...let me tell you, I was confused...

Chris, that was a cool video. Thanks for sharing. You weren't kidding when you said you could zoom in really good with that camera.

I'm waiting for the dash cam videos from Eric, Bee, and 600...

You would not believe how many drivers I saw miss that first gate coming out of the first slalom...I was working the course right there...it was funny.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:22 PM   #14
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post

Me and my cone....

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote