Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 3rd Generation Camaros

Old 06-27-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
shane8002

Drives: trying to get one
83 camaro

Hey guys been looking for a camaro to buy for about 2 weeks now. I ran across an 83 thats got a new liner, new dash, rebuilt motor with 19k, no dents, new paint and pin stripping. The car is also resonably priced, I was just wondering if I bought this car, would I half to be doing repairs on it alot and also how hard would it be finding parts for it.
shane8002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #2
Supercamaro64
Right, right.

Drives: 79 Z28, 86 Camaro, 94 Burb 4x4
it depends on wat parts u need, and wat model is it?? a berlinetta or z28? berlinetta parts are gonna be harder to find. i say u shud buy it, and go from there, and good luck!!
Supercamaro64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #3
Q's 91z28
TX INFERNO SS

Drives: 1991 Z28
You can try thirdgen.org for parts. I've bought several stuff off some of the members on there.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:08 PM   #4
FutureBumbleBee

Drives: 83 Z28, white, slow and dying
I have an 83 z28. It's a pain in the butt. Parts are hard to find and expensive, and something always breaks on it once one thing is fixed. And it was the worst year for smog regulations so it's got no power.
FutureBumbleBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #5
Super83Z

Drives: 1999 Z28 1983 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureBumbleBee View Post
I have an 83 z28. It's a pain in the butt. Parts are hard to find and expensive, and something always breaks on it once one thing is fixed. And it was the worst year for smog regulations so it's got no power.
What is hard to find and expensive? Do you have a Cross-fire car? That injection isn't worth the trouble. I have an 83 Camaro and parts are dirt cheap for these cars.
14 Silverado
Super83Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
Vladi
Russian maFFia

Drives: 09-SLK350
Location: Walnut Creek.CA, Turku Finland , St-Petersburg Russia
Quote:
Originally Posted by shane8002 View Post
Hey guys been looking for a camaro to buy for about 2 weeks now. I ran across an 83 thats got a new liner, new dash, rebuilt motor with 19k, no dents, new paint and pin stripping. The car is also resonably priced, I was just wondering if I bought this car, would I half to be doing repairs on it alot and also how hard would it be finding parts for it.
Man, it`s easy to find parts for 3rd gen,you can believe me i drove it in finland, i changed suspension buy myself,found some parts there and some parts ordered on ebay.
P.S. 3rd gen is my love for ages,i`m going to buy some piece of **** to restore it.
Vladi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Depending on what you expect out of it, there is a good chance you'd be doing a lot of work on it. The motor is new, but the electronics, transmission, suspension, etc are all 26 years old. Expect things like the HVAC controls, window motors, T Top seals, etc to go bad in the near future.

I had an 88 and a 91 thirdgen (350 and 3.1, respectively) and parts were readily available and fairly cheap for both. I cant imagine it's a whole lot different for the 83.

I agree that the crossfire injection isn't worth the trouble. I'm not 100% sure on this, but you may be able to switch the crossfire to a TBI or a TPI system and still remain smog legal. I know that in California, you can't switch a FI car over to Carb. Maybe somebody can chime in on this.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:08 AM   #8
1FastMonteCarloLT

Drives: 2006 Monte Carlo LT1
Im actually in the same boat as you, I'm looking to buy an 83 Z28 by Monday. It's got the 350 with longtube headers, mild cam, true dual, Holly carb, edlebrock intake and it's red with t tops. It needs tranny work so I think I talked the guy to 1k.

2006 Chevy Monte Carlo
26% Window Tint
Dual Exhaust
3rd Brake Light Cover
Dual Black Rally Stripes
Blacked Out Tail Lights and Reverse Lights
17" Hot Wheels Rims
Black Side Graphics
Dual Flip-Out CD Player
2 12" MTX Subs
MTX Amp
1FastMonteCarloLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #9
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
you guys have to remember most parts from that generation interchange. (MOST NOT ALL) so it its a door 82-92, the fenders did change though & so did the noses. but almost everything else inside & out side of that car can be picked up from a junk yard.

if its a rebuilt engine as you said it is, find out who did it & you want docs on everything that they did to that car. sometimes you will find out that all they did was just put a new cam in the engine or change valve covers & called it rebuilt.

I agree with most of the guys here Go to Thirdgen.org for information, also parts again, summit racing, hawksthirdgen.com, heck even go to lingenfelter & they have parts for this car.

Junk yards are also your best friend.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroczlover View Post
you guys have to remember most parts from that generation interchange. (MOST NOT ALL) so it its a door 82-92, the fenders did change though & so did the noses. but almost everything else inside & out side of that car can be picked up from a junk yard.

if its a rebuilt engine as you said it is, find out who did it & you want docs on everything that they did to that car. sometimes you will find out that all they did was just put a new cam in the engine or change valve covers & called it rebuilt.

I agree with most of the guys here Go to Thirdgen.org for information, also parts again, summit racing, hawksthirdgen.com, heck even go to lingenfelter & they have parts for this car.

Junk yards are also your best friend.
Easily the best gen to get good parts for. So many of them were built that unless it's driveline; chances are you'll find it somewhere.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote