Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-01-2010, 12:59 PM   #1
d69chris
Florida C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Vortech L99 IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to d69chris
Angry Teather Your DOG, pick-up owners

A pet peeve of mine is driving down the freeway and seeing someones dog roaming around in the bed of their truck. The dog is up on the wheel well, over to the other wheel well, and then looking over the back tail gate. There is never a Highway Patrol on the freeway, except when I am exceeding the speed limit.

So, I do what any pet loving person would do. I pull up along side and try to get the drivers attention. The problem is, I'm driving my Camaro and all they ever want to do is give me the thumbs up and point at my BITCHEN car! Some even want to race me. I try to communicate my displeasure with their dog roaming around in the bed of their truck, but to no avail.

I had another one of these fictional experiences Monday on my way down to San Diego. The circumstances were the same and the outcome was the usual. After attempting to communicate I did what I always do. I rolled down my passenger window, slowed down a little to get even with the back of the truck, grab one of the bright green tennis balls that I carry for just these occasions & throw it out the window.

It never fails, it catches the dogs eye just as it leaves the window. The ball takes a quick right, due to the speed on the freeway. I watch intently as the dog bounds over the tailgate in pursuit, only to see them get about a step and a half before tumbling down the freeway and into on coming traffic.

Tennis ball $2, standard dog from the shelter $200, the reaction on the drivers face...priceless!

People need to learn to love and care for their pets!

Funny what the mind can do...................when bored.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #2
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
My uncle did that with a dog he had and it stayed fine, then one day jumped out and died.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Old 09-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Even if they tether their dog they need to make it short so the dog still cannot get out of the truck. I once saw a guy with his dog in the back of his pickup truck, the dog was on a tether but it was too long. He's driving down the freeway in the fast lane and the dog was standing in the back with his front paws on the side barking at everything.

I was next to the fast lane and he goes by me on the left with all this going on, but the SUV in front of me has a dog in it and when the dog in the truck sees it he of course starts barking furiously and leans too far forward and falls out. Except he's tethered with a slip collar apparently and now he's hanging by the neck, being banged around on the side of the truck, struggling of course because he's choking to death. People are honking and screaming at the guy in the truck who either couldn't hear or thought people were just honking I guess because he was going faster than everybody else.

It was sickening. The dog struggled a bit then just hung limp. I pulled off the freeway shortly after that so I have no idea how long he went before he realized what happened. That scene haunted me the rest of the day.

Either short tether them so they can't get out or don't take them at all. To this day I get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I see an open bed truck with a dog or dogs in the back.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
wat
Old 09-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Wait... you're a pet lover, so you encourage their dog to chase your tennis ball into traffic so they're killed???
Old 09-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #7
d69chris
Florida C5

I have seen a few hanging themselves outside the bed.

When I did it I had an 18" tether sliding on a cable attached to the floor of the bed in the front. No way for them to jump, but could move around and slobber all over the sides.
Old 09-01-2010, 05:19 PM   #8
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by d69chris View Post

I had another one of these fictional experiences Monday on my way down to San Diego. The circumstances were the same and the outcome was the usual. After attempting to communicate I did what I always do. I rolled down my passenger window, slowed down a little to get even with the back of the truck, grab one of the bright green tennis balls that I carry for just these occasions & throw it out the window.
Do you even know that that word means?
Old 09-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
Keedy
Should have waited...

Drives: 2004 Mazda RX8
@OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Do you even know that that word means?
Twas a hint. If you know what it means, it makes the next section more understandable. Although i prefer my farce a little more deadpan, with no foreshadowing of the facepalm to come.

Last edited by Keedy; 09-01-2010 at 05:32 PM.
Keedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Freakin' brando and Keedy...

Old 09-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #11
Superman09
Account SNAFU

Drives: 13 Tahoe 79 Scout II 15 1LE
I used to short tether my dog. Then one day he was running back and forth excited to go hunting and in his excitement hit the end of the rope and flung his backside over the edge first followed by his front paws. He was then hanging himself by not being able to get back over the side but his head was still inside the bed. Luckily I saw it happened and stopped in time to pull him back in. I never tethered him again and he never did try and job out. Although he would stand with his hind legs on the tool box and front legs on the roof running down the road at 70 sometimes he would get completely up on the roof. I don't know about Cali but its not illegal to not tether your dog here in Texas, but what does it hurt to have your dog untethered? And why would you ever try and make a dog jump out of a moving vehicle?

On a side note......if you don't like untethered dogs in the back what is your opinion of people with lap dogs driving down the road (far more dangerous to you than an untethered one in the bed)?
Superman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
ok... this dog lovers imagination has him dreaming of driving around encouraging dogs to jump out of a moving truck... I guess I just don't get it. That's... disturbed.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:16 PM   #13
d69chris
Florida C5

Sorry I get disturbed sometimes, it helps me get centered.

Don't get me started with people with dogs in their laps, standing in their laps with their heads hanging out the drivers window, paws on the wheel....I just might throw another tennis ball!

People who take their dogs into Home Depot, Lowes, THE GROCERY STORE, their proctologist! Retailers are so gun shy for sales, they never say anything. I try to get the dogs to bite me so I can sue the store.............thought that might make someone happy, the picture of me getting bit.

Service dogs only, I thought that was the law.

Here's our dog, just so you know I like pets. Her name is Roxy. I am a member of PETA....
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #14
d69chris
Florida C5

PETA.......................PEOPLE who EAT TASTY ANIMALS