Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
Burn Notice24

Drives: 2012 Camaro Convertible
Is it worth replacing the top?

My top has rub marks. However, I have heard plenty of horror stories about replacement tops. Is it worth replacing the top? (rub marks do warrant a replacement top, right?) I have a 2012 and the extended warranty.
Burn Notice24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn Notice24 View Post
My top has rub marks. However, I have heard plenty of horror stories about replacement tops. Is it worth replacing the top? (rub marks do warrant a replacement top, right?) I have a 2012 and the extended warranty.
Burn Notice24,

Sincere apologies to hear about the wear on your convertible top. I understand you're seeking community opinions and responses, and would be willing to exhaust my options to help resolve your concerns. Feel free to message us privately if needed for further assistance.

Sincerely,

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Is there actual wear or just marks? If it's just marks I doubt they will agree to replacing the top. If you still have plenty of warranty left take it in and have it documented. Then if you see wearing and fraying it will be easier convincing them it needs replacing. Plus it gives them more time to learn to work on these tops by working on others first.
Some extended warranties do not cover the top material, you need to find out if it does.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
Twintitan

Drives: 2012 convertable camaro
If you find a dealer that knows how to put it on. The rub marks becomes holes!
Twintitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
hworth18
Jus' Cruzin

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS Krypton Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twintitan View Post
If you find a dealer that knows how to put it on. The rub marks becomes holes!
This is true, mine started out as rub marks that soon started rubbing thru the fabric. I really didn't have any issues when I replaced my top, but I was patient and went thru about 5 visits to get things just right. Now the top is on right and I am very happy.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

What some people are calling rub marks are actually fold marks and all convertibles with this type material will show them, mine had those type marks but in a year and a half never showed any wear in those locations. Like I said unless you are showing evidence of wear I doubt they will want to do anything about it.
I had mine replaced two weeks ago for a different reason and I am experiencing a new set of issues. It's best to wait if you have no real problem, like I said before, the longer you can wait gives dealers more time to gain experience working on them before they work on yours.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
phk36

Drives: 45 th 2ss convertible
Working on a resolve as we post . This is my top that rubs on the back weatherstrip now. I have rub marks and also had the tsb weatherstrip upgrade . My marks are on the drivers side over the front seat. I have let the top down followed the mark to the rear weatherstrip. The passenger side is fine with 1/4 inch space, I had no problems before the tsb but only had I think 2k on the car which is in the garage and never seen rain
I also have divots in the top on both sides around the front seat area. If you compare a 2012 or under top with a 2013 you can see how much better the material lays on the car its flat and the bows are not seen as well
Attached Images

Old 11-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
OK, I've got the 45th also & that mark is definitely due to the top rubbing the frame. I had 3 tops do that. Then a top shop with experience (40-60 camaro tops) installed a new piece of fabric & now, 9 months later & several thousand miles with the top down, it hasn't moved closer to the frame at all.

The key is installers who know how to adjust the fabric so that it doesn't touch the frame well when it's down.

Last edited by classicrockr; 11-16-2013 at 06:34 AM.
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by phk36 View Post
Working on a resolve as we post . This is my top that rubs on the back weatherstrip now. I have rub marks and also had the tsb weatherstrip upgrade . My marks are on the drivers side over the front seat. I have let the top down followed the mark to the rear weatherstrip. The passenger side is fine with 1/4 inch space, I had no problems before the tsb but only had I think 2k on the car which is in the garage and never seen rain
I also have divots in the top on both sides around the front seat area. If you compare a 2012 or under top with a 2013 you can see how much better the material lays on the car its flat and the bows are not seen as well
That's not good. classicrockr's suggestion is solid about having the top (facric) adjusted. The constant rubbing will not be good for the top in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
OK, I've got the 45th also & that mark is definitely due to the top rubbing the frame. I had 3 tops do that. Then a top shop with experience (40-60 camaro tops) installed a new piece of fabric & now, 9 months later & several thousand miles with the top down, it hasn't moved closer to the frame at all.

The key is installers who know how to adfjust the fabric so that it doesn't touch the frame well when it's down.
Solid suggestion.

To all the new(er) owners, I say (as many have before me), keep an eye on your top. Inspect it from time to time. Be vigilant, but not hyper-vigilant but, if you do see a place where your top fabric is resting or rubbing against any part of the body, or any part of the top / frame that doesn't appear to look or act right, take it in and have it inspected and get it documented. In the meantime, enjoy your 5th Gen. convertible. The top is covered for 3 years under the NEW CAR bumper-to-bumper warranty.

I've owned my 2011 vert since July 2011 (very late 1at model year production) and, aside from a couple of round light spots that eventually disappeared, I haven't had any type of top problem, yet.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
phk36

Thanks everyone I also have the divot marks on each side around the front seat area any one else ever had them ?
As far as an adjustment on the cloth I dont think it will help as the top is tight
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phk36 View Post
Thanks everyone I also have the divot marks on each side around the front seat area any one else ever had them ?
As far as an adjustment on the cloth I dont think it will help as the top is tight
The pre top change cars usually have them. My old top did but my new one does not. Those just look funny but they don't hurt anything themselves.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
phk36

I did not have them before the tsb so called weatherstrip up grade
It looks even worse next to a 2013 kind of like when you see some one with plastic surgery the bad face lift
Old 11-18-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
SanteeChev

Drives: 45th Anniversary Edition
Car just went in today for a new top.

Well, we'll see how Jimmy Johnson Chev does on this. Car went in today for a new top - Service manager says it will take at least three days. They did give me a Tahoe to drive around.

BTW: mine had the adjustment tsb and it became a real hole in the first layer of the top.

Of course living in San Diego I drive the majority of my miles with the top down. I don't even know when it happened since I can go weeks without putting the top up.
SanteeChev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #14
Falundir

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE - Hyper Blue, P85DL
Mine is starting to fray (another 45th). I am currently working with a reputable dealer to get this fixed. Just taking it slowly as I don't want to go through some of the nightmare situations others have had.
Falundir is offline   Reply With Quote