Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #29
polizzio

Drives: 2012 1LT SIM Camaro
Yes, let us know here how it turns out, the diagnosis/solution. Hopefully to your satisfaction.
polizzio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:26 AM   #30
RedRocket2012

Drives: 2012 2SS-RS
I have dealt with this code before on another car and have learned a few things about it. Your catalytic converter degrades over time and becomes less efficient. You state you have over 100K miles so its not that unusual that you may have problems with your cats. Also, I don't see how they could have caused this problem with the service they did. This code doesn't go on like a light switch, it develops over time. If it goes out of range x amount of times within a certain period of time, then it throws the code. Usually it becomes a pending code first, and if it happens again it turns on the light. You say the light came on right after you left the dealer, I'm willing to bet the code was pending before you went in to the dealer! I have also learned that 9 times out of ten, the problem is the cat, not the O2 sensor. Telling them they somehow lowered the efficiency of your cats by changing some fluids is going to make you look pretty dumb. Dealer mechanics have some powerful diagnostic equipment and will be able to get live stream data on the O2 sensors and see what's going on. They are there to help you and will figure it out. I had 2 headlights stop working at the same time. I got out my multimeter and checked everything and finally gave into the obvious. The 2 bulbs blew at the same time. Changed the bulbs and never had another problem.
Coincidences do happen!!
RedRocket2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #31
Jylee

Drives: 2012 2LT
CAT is warrant for 8 years/80k. I don't think the tech caused your check engine light issue. They may do a good will replacement. I have a Ranch Rover Sport with the same code, it turn itself on/off whenever it decided the CAT is less efficient. The CAT is not broken, or smell. So, I will wait.
Jylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #32
TheSmokingSuns

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS, 2011 Camaro 2LT
Took my car back yesterday to the dealership and had them check out my car again. They took a couple hours this time instead of just clearing the code like last time and out the door in 5 minutes. I asked if I could go to the shop myself and see what is going on. They took me back there while my car was still hooked up. They did a few emissions tests with the computer and it shows that my front cat is running inefficiently and no way they could have caused this. What they found odd is that the CEL turned off after running the tests without them clearing the code according to the master tech. I don't know if that is true, but yeah I guess it was just a coincidence. Got my car back afterwards and no CEL yet. Drove around to do errands yesterday and today, still fine. Hope it somehow still passes emissions as I will be needing to do one for the first time this year.
TheSmokingSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:01 PM   #33
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmokingSuns View Post
Took my car back yesterday to the dealership and had them check out my car again. They took a couple hours this time instead of just clearing the code like last time and out the door in 5 minutes. I asked if I could go to the shop myself and see what is going on. They took me back there while my car was still hooked up. They did a few emissions tests with the computer and it shows that my front cat is running inefficiently and no way they could have caused this. What they found odd is that the CEL turned off after running the tests without them clearing the code according to the master tech. I don't know if that is true, but yeah I guess it was just a coincidence. Got my car back afterwards and no CEL yet. Drove around to do errands yesterday and today, still fine. Hope it somehow still passes emissions as I will be needing to do one for the first time this year.
Hmmmm.... Well at least the light went out. How "inefficient" does the cat need to be to throw a code I wonder?

I wonder if they accidentally fixed something they accidentally broke?
Old 02-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #34
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmokingSuns View Post
Sounds like time for some new, high flow cats!!
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #35
Jylee

Drives: 2012 2LT
If the rear sensor clock the same measurement as the front sensor. It will cause 420 (A bank), or 430 (B bank). I am sure the light will return. I find that Rockauto has the best price for my Rover.
Jylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:31 PM   #36
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Hmmmm, guess my advise was correct. Don't be so quick to point blame at someone. Coincidences do happen. I just KNOW for a fact this dtc couldn't not have been caused by services performed.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:06 PM   #37
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
I'd be interested if and when the CEL comes back.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:31 PM   #38
TheSmokingSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
I'd be interested if and when the CEL comes back.

I'll update the thread if it comes back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #39
RedRocket2012

Drives: 2012 2SS-RS
Quote:
Hmmmm.... Well at least the light went out. How "inefficient" does the cat need to be to throw a code I wonder?
Not Much...Less than 95% says scotty.

Last edited by RedRocket2012; 02-09-2016 at 09:05 PM. Reason: add link
RedRocket2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 10:31 PM   #40
TheSmokingSuns

Quote:

I wonder if they accidentally fixed something they accidentally broke?

Yup less than 95%. Maybe, you never know if that could be the case. lol

Old 02-10-2016, 06:25 AM   #41
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
i hate to say it and by no means am i a dealer advocate but yes things like this can happen. i once had an 06 explorer i took it in for an oil change and later that day (or next i dont remember) my radiator sprang a leak at 36500 miles. come to find out when that gen explorer came out there was issues with the v6 radiators.

can stuff like this happen.. yes. i know it makes someone mad, but parts on cars now days are not meant to last forever (like most people think and want). parts are disposable.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:21 AM   #42
TheSmokingSuns

It's now Thursday and the CEL hasn't came back on. Fingers crossed it doesn't come back on anytime soon. Anyways, went this morning today to take my car for emissions inspection that's due and everything passed perfectly. Pretty happy about that lol