Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-22-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
intensifi

Drives: '12 2LT Convertible
Exclamation Insurance, Repairs and OEM parts

My wife's car was rear ended recently. She was not at fault. The other person had AAA insurance.

The damage wasn't that big a deal but the other persons insurance used non-OEM parts without getting approval from us. So we'll have to fight that issue and get it redone with OEM parts as it looks like crap given they used a "one size fits all part" (bumper cover).

In any case while talking with my insurance guy (Farmer's), he said it's standard practice in the industry.

He told me that if I want OEM parts for when I'm at fault or it's some random accident where there is no other party at fault (tree branch, etc.) who will be paying, I need to upgrade my policy.

My cost was $19 per six months for the Camaro.

Done!

[UPDATE] Complaining up the chain at AAA worked. New OEM parts on the way for the wife's car! I wonder how many people are victimized this way and do not complain?

Last edited by intensifi; 05-22-2014 at 06:52 PM.
intensifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
MADBADGER

Drives: '13 Camaro 2SS/RS
What insurance company do you deal with?
MADBADGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #3
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADBADGER View Post
What insurance company do you deal with?
Farmer's
Old 05-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
zim2323

Drives: 2014 Red Hot 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by intensifi View Post
My wife's car was rear ended recently.

The damage wasn't that big a deal but the other guys insurance used non-OEM parts without getting approval from us. So we'll have to fight that issue and get it redone with OEM parts as it looks like crap given they used a "one size fits all part" (bumper cover).

In any case while talking with my insurance guy (Farmer's), he said it's standard practice in the industry.

He told me that if I want OEM parts for when I'm at fault or it's some random accident where there is no other party at fault (tree branch, etc.) who will be paying, I need to upgrade my policy.

My cost was $19 per six months for the Camaro.

Done!
Unless you're missing something (or I am), this wouldn't have fixed your problem in this case either way. It still doesn't cover what the other guy's insurance is going to try and replace (still non-OEM). So I guess you need to make sure you're at fault in an accident to get your car replaced with OEM parts, otherwise your shit-out-of-luck.

As far as common practace? BS! Maybe common for Farmer's, who traditionally is not a great car insurance company, at least around here. I'm with Statefarm and it doesn't matter what the other insurance company "covers", my understanding they have to replace with OEM parts, UNLESS OEM parts are not available. If you can prove that they were available, they have no choice.

Ultimately if their insurance came back with that, your insurance company should have gone to bat for you, or you should have at least had that conversation up front and said "hell no!".

I'd have parked the car back at my insurance company and told them to do their job. That's what you pay them for.
zim2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:49 PM   #5
intensifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by zim2323 View Post
Unless you're missing something (or I am), this wouldn't have fixed your problem in this case either way. It still doesn't cover what the other guy's insurance is going to try and replace (still non-OEM). So I guess you need to make sure you're at fault in an accident to get your car replaced with OEM parts, otherwise your shit-out-of-luck.
No it would not have fixed the problem in this case at all. We have to deal with AAA to get OEM parts on this one.

It's future proofing.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
DroptopZ
I'm your huckleberry...

Drives: '10 2SS/RS, '88 IROC vert
Most states don't require it, and most policies state 'repair to the same condition,' which does not mean new OEM part. Often you can choose used OEM or CAPA (non OEM) new. Many states consider replacing your 2-3 year old bumper with a new one betterment, meaning you are put into a better place than before.

You can choose to upgrade your own coverage as OP has. Keep in mind that as our cars age, it will be easier to use used parts. The casting for these parts wears over time and the parts fit slightly differently when you have a new part on a 10 y/o car. However, that's a non issue right now I always recommend used OEM over CAPA parts, though!

DroptopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #7
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
Thanks for posting this Intensifi. I have never been in an accident (knock on wood) and I am going to look into this with my insurance and make sure I understand the OEM angle. If anything happens to the Camaro when I get it, I would want OEM parts. Good post.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
Since the accident will show up on vehicle history, you should also pursue AAA insurance for diminished value of the vehicle.

OEM parts and diminished value of the vehicle to make you whole, since it wasn't your fault.
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
Stett

Drives: 11 IBM 1LTRS, '89 Firebird Formula
I'm glad to hear they're taking care of it for you. For what it's worth I was rear-ended in November and had a lot of similar questions. Both of us had state farm, and this is their policy for comparison:
https://www.statefarm.com/claims/res...parts-promises

Basically, they will use whatever is cheaper, but you have the final say. If the OEM part is more expensive than the non-OEM, you'd be responsible for the difference in cost. I'm not sure if it's State Farm exclusive, or industry practice, but at least another reference for you.

This worked out in my favor because the shop needed to replace my entire exhaust piping not just the mufflers. State Farm approved a new OEM full exhaust assembly, but since I had the choice, I had them install a Borla cat-back instead. State Farm cut me a check for the OEM cost on the estimate and had me purchase it and bring it to the shop.

Oh and please check the driver's seat and make sure they fix the frames right... and the battery connections in the trunk.. I've had recurring problems in those areas since the accident for stuff they missed or skipped.
3000 - 7/28 - Order accepted by production control
3400 - 8/09 - Order broadcast
3800 - 8/17 - Order produced
9/02 - DELIVERED!
Stett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
macwest

Drives: 10 Camaro 2SS/RS, 70 Cuda, 71 Cuda
A word on advice when getting quotes tell them you are paying not insurance. I guarantee most of the time it will be a higher quote. Autobody shops discount all work to insurance companies and show that as a discounted quote to you. making arguing for OEM parts tougher.

I went through this some time back when I had a guy in a truck back into my car.

Tags
insurance, oem parts, repair