Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #71
Green Muscle

Drives: 2015 Green Flash
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXSSCE View Post
Why the need to tune or get Range AFM? Doesn't sport mode turn AFM off? If so, is it possible to simply drive in sport mode all the time?
Yes, if you use the paddle shifters. Like I said before I mostly drive in sport mode and use the paddles and the AFM doesn't kick in.

Other options out there are to get it tuned out or get a range device.
Green Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:30 PM   #72
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS CV CE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Muscle View Post
Yes, if you use the paddle shifters. Like I said before I mostly drive in sport mode and use the paddles and the AFM doesn't kick in.
Sorry, but for further clarification, if it's in sport mode & the paddle shifters aren't being used, the AFM is still active?

Edit: I've been reading other threads & it seems - correct me if I'm wrong - sports mode (high revs) & manual mode (paddle shifters) are different features. If true, I'm referring to sport mode.

Last edited by PDXSSCE; 01-20-2016 at 09:49 PM.
PDXSSCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #73
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Sorry, but for further clarification, if it's in sport mode & the paddle shifters aren't being used, the AFM is still active?

Edit: I've been reading other threads & it seems - correct me if I'm wrong - sports mode (high revs) & manual mode (paddle shifters) are different features. If true, I'm referring to sport mode.
If you go into manual mode using your tap shifters down shift 1 gear...so if you in 3rd down shift to 2nd then use it as you like afm will not engage again until you go back into d...or back into sport mode. People will piss and moan this doesn't work but it does. I did it for 2 years or longer before I got my tune.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:30 AM   #74
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
If you go into manual mode using your tap shifters down shift 1 gear...so if you in 3rd down shift to 2nd then use it as you like afm will not engage again until you go back into d...or back into sport mode. People will piss and moan this doesn't work but it does. I did it for 2 years or longer before I got my tune.
Got it. I was hoping shifting into M (sport mode), without using the shifters, would disengage AFM.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:59 AM   #75
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Yes, I've done "muffler deletes". More than once, actually, and with cats and maybe resonators still in place the result isn't all that loud.

Quote:
I'm going to ask you knowledgeable folks to enlighten me. If the muffler delete improves the sound, reduces weight, increases exhaust flow & has no effect on emissions, why are they there in the first place?

Why . . .

Drive-by noise standards. Some aftermarket exhaust systems are "49-state legal", as California has tighter requirements here.

People who are happy with having power but not so much with making noise also buy these cars. Lots of them, actually.

"Loud" used to mean more power back when OE mufflers were really stuffy things and exhaust lines were 2.25" and smaller. That's not nearly as true any more.

Quote:
I would think most people with a Camaro, Challenger or Mustang want a loud car.
Why? Just because you, individually, prefer "loud"??? (Hint: not everybody thinks that way)

I'm OK with my cars having some "voice", which is not the same thing as "loud" at all. For volume, more than a whisper for sure, but less than a shout. If my GoPro with its built-in mic can pick up the sound at a track day (with the windows open), that's loud enough. If I have to turn the radio up to hear what's playing or raise my voice at all for conversation, that's too loud.

Norm
Old 01-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #76
rontammy0
Account Suspended

No point in making this a debate....loud to me will not be the same as loud to someone else. You can tell just by some of the comments regarding exhaust tone and loudness. It's a topic with no end. But....I do agree with some that loud isn't always nice sounding.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #77
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Why? Just because you, individually, prefer "loud"??? (Hint: not everybody thinks that way)
Because in the 5 years that I owned Challengers & being on that forum & since getting a Camaro & being on this forum, I see thread after thread, post after post, of people wanting their cars to be louder.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #78
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
....I do agree with some that loud isn't always nice sounding.
That applies to music too.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:18 AM   #79
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Because in the 5 years that I owned Challengers & being on that forum & since getting a Camaro & being on this forum, I see thread after thread, post after post, of people wanting their cars to be louder.
Which is still a drop in the bucket compared to the total number of these cars that have been sold over the last ten years or so . . . I'm guessing that number currently runs about a million, where you're reading about the thoughts and opinions of a few hundred of them. Of course, there's more than that, just not way up in the hundreds of thousands more.

While I doubt you'll find very many threads seeking quieter Camaros/Mustangs/Challengers - it doesn't mesh very well with the dragstrip and street scene crowd attitudes - there actually have been a few.

Norm
Old 01-21-2016, 12:00 PM   #80
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Which is still a drop in the bucket compared to the total number of these cars that have been sold over the last ten years or so . . . I'm guessing that number currently runs about a million, where you're reading about the thoughts and opinions of a few hundred of them. Of course, there's more than that, just not way up in the hundreds of thousands more.
It's a sampling of wants & opinions though. For every one person who posts, there are several more who feel the same way but didn't post - this is true of any topic.

Am I saying that every person who purchases one of these cars wants it louder? Of course not. What I'm saying is that it's far from simply being my individual opinion.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #81
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Quote:
That applies to music too.
Exactly.....maybe we should compare it to music .....some like it loud...some don't ha.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:20 PM   #82
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange 2010 Camaro View Post
Hear's my muffler & resonator delete. The car sounds fantastic with VERY LITTLE drone or decel popping!

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
I love the set up tail pipes in the center. But I could not stand looking at those big holes on each end. I might do the same thing. But I will have a plastic or metal fabricated piece to replace the diffuser.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:44 PM   #83
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
If I'm understanding, with the resonators in place, the mufflers aren't necessary for emissions.
Depends on your State. Not so in PA. I asked they said car must have a muffler. I said well the resonator is My muffler and they said No.
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #84
PDXSSCE
Yee-aay-ee!

Holy Tin Can Batman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow1616 View Post
Depends on your State. Not so in PA. I asked they said car must have a muffler. I said well the resonator is My muffler and they said No.
ORS 815.250 Operation without proper exhaust system. Class C traffic violation.
Vehicle must be equipped with a muffler that meets the following noise levels: Motor vehicles 1976 & after, 91 dBA.

Since my vehicle must pass emission testing, it's not gonna happen.

Thank you for your post!