Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 08-02-2010, 01:30 PM   #1
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
Installed Modified AAC LED side markers/turn signals

Hi All,

In a previous post, http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96213 I showed you how to install the AAC LED dual-intensity circuit for the AAC side markers to make them blink with the turn signals.

I am happy to report that I now have the two front AAC modified LED side markers/turn signals installed in my car.

As you can see from the video I took off the clear lenses from the AAC LED side markers, and then took the lenses off the original turn signals to put on the AAC ones to make it look stock. It’s a personal thing and I liked it better that way.

To get to the front side markers turn the steering wheel so that you can get access to the three Torx screws on the inner fender liner along the side of the side marker. Remove the three Torx screws starting from the bottom and working your way up. Gently pry back the inner fender shield to get your hand in there. You will need just a bit of clearance to get you hand by the side marker. Using a 6” flat bladed screw driver to push on the tab through a small slot facing the passenger firewall. The side marker will come out, but be careful not to scratch the paint. There is a small tab on the plug that locks the wiring harness to the side marker. Using a small jewelers flat bladed screw driver gently pry up on the tab and pull the harness off the side marker.

Before you install the new modified LED side marker you will need to connect a 16 ga black wire about 3 feet to the Red wire from the new marker. I chose black wire so that it blends in more in the engine compartment. You can do this in one of three ways. Solder the wires together and use 1/8" shrink tubing over the soldered connections, use a butt-connector to crimp the two wires together, or in my case I wanted to be able to disconnect the wire from the new marker in case I needed to take off the front fascia so I used a solder type single contact molded male/female connector that is water tight. If you want to go this route PM me and I can give you the part numbers and place I bought mine from.

The reason I had you take off the three Torx screws was so that you can fish the wire from the AAC LED side marker through the inner fender shield into the engine compartment. Install the new side AAC LED side marker and make sure that the wire coming from the new modified side marker clears the opening that the marker will go into. Take the end of the wire that is lose and find an opening to the engine compartment to put the wire through. This is a bit of trial and error, but will not take too long.

You need to disconnect the turn signal bulb. On the driver’s side it is a bit interesting as you need to move the air scoop from the stock air box to get to the turn signal bulb. To do this it is easiest if you open the air box, remove the filter and you will see the air scoop sitting towards the front of the air box. Press in on either side to release the tabs that hold it in place and gently push the air scoop into the air box as far as it can go. You will now have access to the turn signal bulb on the driver’s side.

Once the bulb is out there is a plastic black wiring wrap around the wires. This wrap has a slit in it to put the wires for the turn signal through. You will want to put the new wire into that wiring wrap if possible of if you want to do it down and dirty just ty-wrap the wire to the outside. Again I was going for a factory look. About 4” from the turn signal bulb peel back the wrap that houses the wires for the turn signal. The wire you want is the Blue/White wire. For this I used a splice-connector. The Blue/White wire goes towards the outside while the black wire goes towards the inner side where there is a stop for it. Using a pair of pliers you will compress the metal tab into the wires. Once that is done you can close the splice-connector.

Try out your new modified AAC LED side markers and turn signals. A bonus from all of this is now when you set your car alarm not only will the turn signals blink, but also the new LED side markers.

Pull out the air scoop so that it locks back in place again, and install the air filter and close up the box. Now if you have a CAI installed your directions to get to the driver's bulb might be different, and I will leave you to figure out how do that to you. Now go do the other side and enjoy the new modified AAC LED side markers and your new turn indicators.

If anyone has any questions post them or shoot me a PM.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.

Last edited by GearHeadPeter; 08-04-2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Embed Video
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
How did you get both set of lenses off? Difficulty level?

thanks!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
How did you get both set of lenses off? Difficulty level?

thanks!
On a scale between 1 and 5, I would put these at a 3. The biggest thing is not cutting yourself with the box cutter, and not breaking the original lens. It can be done, but you have to be patient, slow, and keep going over the same line a few times to get through all the glue. The trick is not trying to pry up the lens before all sides have been done otherwise the lense will crack.

When prying up the lens it is best if you use a wide bladed putty knife as it will lift more evenly than just a small screw driver.

Hope that helps.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #4
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Nice.....about how much did it cost?

I haven't looked but the factory side markers don't blink at all do they?

IMO.....you definately made the right choice to use the factory lens. That's what I would do as well.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Yes, thanks. I used my Dremel to cut the lenses off the DRLs to put in my AAC Halo's - not very tough at all.

great job!
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:52 PM   #6
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
nice
Old 08-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Nice.....about how much did it cost?

I haven't looked but the factory side markers don't blink at all do they?

IMO.....you definately made the right choice to use the factory lens. That's what I would do as well.
Jonathan from AAC gave me a great price, and it cost about $240 for the LED side markers and dual-intensity circuits.

No, the side markers do not blink, which is a shame as IMO it is a safety thing as more visibility for the other driver will cut down on accidents.

Thanks as I like the original lens covers also, understated but you know it is modified. It is like my 65 Mustang GT as it looks totally stock but it is what does not show that is what the car is about.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #8
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Yes, thanks. I used my Dremel to cut the lenses off the DRLs to put in my AAC Halo's - not very tough at all.

great job!
I also tried the Dremel to cut the lens off, but even at the slowest speed I melted the plastic somewhat. I still had to use a utility knife to cut through the melted plastic, and these lenses are a bit more fragile IMO.

Thanks for the compliment.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
Gonzo

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM 6M
Have you tried this with the rear marker lights yet? I would think that it would be very similar to hook into the turn signal wire.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #10
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
yah you have to find a way to make them alternate ?
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:59 PM   #11
thespymaster

Drives: C7 / ZL1 / SS / trucsk
Looks good!!!
2015 GMC Denali 3500HD 4x4
2012 GMC Sierra 3500HD 4x4
thespymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #12
Gonzo

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by AACstyle View Post
It would be the same process for the rear but you would have to isolate the turn signal wire.

Okay, so here is another question for you: if you install the DRL harness to have the DRL come on with the Halo's or Headlights, will this mod affect the DRL? Just wanted to know so I can decide which mod to go with.

Last edited by Gonzo; 11-11-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Bump
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
This should almost be a how to very helpful in installing my side-markers. Thanks!

Tags
led side markers, led turn signals