Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 03-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #57
aquablueL99
Jackson's COTW

Drives: 1968 Camaro & 2010 Camaro 2SS
Kronix, I am so impressed!! I can see COTW coming real soon. I believe this is one of the best builds I have seen!! The fenders look outstanding. Thanks for sharing with us..
Old 03-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #58
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Looks really good.

So I guess you're not going to use the 3Dcarbon rear spats?
ALLTRBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #59
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Kronix,

If you check out some of my interior pics - I pretty much have everything Chris sells. He does great work and I get compliments all the time about the pieces.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #60
Kronix
NJ/SoCal HT5 COTW 3/25/12

Drives: 2015 Z06/14 C7/08 Z06/07 Tahoe Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwhiteman View Post
Looking great! Im really liking the vents! I was unsure about them at first, how they would blend in with black. But they look awesome.
Thank you DM, I really love the 3dCarbon vents and how they turned out. One thing I really like about them is that it's a functional vent, so air flows freely through there. That'll definitely help with brake cooling and also getting rid of hot air under the hood. If you went with them, one option I was thinking of for you was painting the screens orange to match your stripe or even maybe an orange pinstripe on the fin of the vent. Like I mentioned earlier, before you order from 3d just drop me a PM and I'll tell you who to ask for to get Jobber pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffnshine View Post
What an awesome build. Can't wait to see it rolled out in the sun. Very interested in the mail slot fill. Was thInking of trying that way but worried about shrinkage or ghosting. I smell COTW, love it
Thanks Buff!! As far as getting in the sun, you & me both Brother!! That things been in the cave far too long, I'm so antsy, but I'm glad my friend that owns the shop, Ray is a perfectionist....He sent back a few of the painted pieces because of a few fisheyes in the paint. I appreciate stuff like that, cause I'm the same way. I knew I was asking a lot too do all this right from the start, but as I've mentioned, it's so nice to work on a new car, no grim, grease, baked on dirt, rusty bolts...I just wanted to do it the way I wanted, then enjoy it for years to come. But I do see headers & cam in the future

Regarding the mailslot, I liked the closeout that SLP makes, but who wants to see an outline, makes it look cheap IMO. So luckily I had a very skilled body shop (Ken's Body Shop in San Luis Obsipo), and they were definitely up for the challenge when I told them I don't think anyone's actually done this yet. I will admit it did take a few times to get it right, the key was leaving the stock grille in there to keep the pieces from sagging. Originally we had sent the front bumper over to him minus the grille, because I was swapping it out for the Heritage grille & SS emblem. But after we put the stock grille back in they were able to do it perfectly as you can see. There's no visible lines whatsoever, same with the license plate holes, my bumper had four nice holes in the nose for those lovely, bulky LP holders...No more!! I'll find out exactly what bonding agent was used to do the mailslot, and post it up. Eric from MPD1 was eager to see how it turned out & what was used as well.

COTW....It would be an honor, once this baby's done..Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablueL99 View Post
Kronix, I am so impressed!! I can see COTW coming real soon. I believe this is one of the best builds I have seen!! The fenders look outstanding. Thanks for sharing with us..
Thank you so much AB, again COTW, would be an honor! I've had the luxury of seeing so many awesome builds here and getting little pieces here & there from each one. This is a remarkable community, with a great group of people, sponsors & ideas!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLTRBO View Post
Looks really good.

So I guess you're not going to use the 3Dcarbon rear spats?
Thanks TRBO! No, I will be using the 3dCarbon rear spats, I'm just revising how they say to put them on. They give you these goofy clips that are supposed to mount on the wheel well lip and you screw into them, because if you notice on our vehicles the wheel well liner is recessed back about 1.75", so I'm going to make a spacer like we did with the smooth rear exhaust panel. It'll be a much more secure fit, last thing I want to do is lose one. Every piece I'm putting on is on for good, and I want to make sure of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Kronix,

If you check out some of my interior pics - I pretty much have everything Chris sells. He does great work and I get compliments all the time about the pieces.
Your build was the first one I read when I joined! I've got quite a few ideas from what you've done and your thoroughness in documenting it, you've done an awesome job!

Built by Late Model Racecraft
Fastest C7 in Tri-State 10.13 @ 134mph
7/26/14 Corvette Challenge Raceway Park, E-Town, NJ
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #61
Vette TPI

Drives: 1987 Corvette TPI
All you Camaro owners with the really nice mods are already making my future camaro expensive Car is looking great!

Last edited by Vette TPI; 03-03-2012 at 09:59 PM.
Vette TPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #62
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronix View Post
Your build was the first one I read when I joined! I've got quite a few ideas from what you've done and your thoroughness in documenting it, you've done an awesome job!
Thanks for the props. Let me know if you have any questions or anything. More than happy to help
Old 03-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #63
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Thanks for the answer on the mailslot. I have been wanting to do that hood but did not like the mailslot withit.
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:22 AM   #64
dmwhiteman

Drives: 2SS Black w/ Inferno Orange Stripes
About to pull the trigger on my 3d carbon kit. Im ordering the rocker panels without the spats. If you get a chance, could you please throw up a pic before you put your spats on?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #65
Kronix

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Thanks for the props. Let me know if you have any questions or anything. More than happy to help
Pleasure Stieger! You're an asset to this forum and seem to have quite a bit of knowledge on what's going on & how things work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette TPI View Post
All you Camaro owners with the really nice mods are already making my future camaro expensive Car is looking great!
It's not like what you're driving is too shabby Vette, I had an 89 that I hooked up nice when I lived down in South Florida, then some high end car theft ring thought that they should send it over to the Middle East....Found it 2 months later in a container down in the port of Miami ready to be shipped to some Shiek

Quote:
Thanks for the answer on the mailslot. I have been wanting to do that hood but did not like the mailslot withit.
The actual product used to seal in the mailslot was 3M Plastic Repair #5887 EZ Sand Flexible. Great product and you see how good it works!

Hey Buff, looks like I'll be moving to your neck of the beach within the next 2 months. Can't wait to GTFO of this retirement community they call Pismo Beach The wifey got a much better job in West LA, so I'm on real estate detail...Look forward to meeting the SoCal crew, as that's where we initially wanted to move after coming here from NJ. Can't wait!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwhiteman View Post
About to pull the trigger on my 3d carbon kit. Im ordering the rocker panels without the spats. If you get a chance, could you please throw up a pic before you put your spats on?
Dave, I don't think I have a clear shot of the car that hasn't been posted off of the lift without the spats. Unfortunately the rear spats are on now, and with the adhesive product used, they're on for good! The spats do provide a little different look, especially with the smooth rear, kind of reminds me of my 87 IROC gfx. But I did notice that with just the side skirts & front spoiler & vents, that the flow is still very smooth and you really don't need the rear spats, it won't look like the car's missing something. Like I mentioned in that PM to you, have 3d paint them, then you can just install yourself in an afternoon and you shouldn't have any issues with paint quality.

I'll be taking more pics today, as we finished the body kit the other day, and focused on the A-Pillar gauges yesterday. I'm just waiting for my red LED Scanner lights to come tomorrow from AAC to add to the white scanner light behind the grille, then we should have it buttoned up and ready for alignment and it's out on the streets!!! Whew, it's been a long 2 months without my car.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #66
dmwhiteman

Drives: 2SS Black w/ Inferno Orange Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronix View Post
Dave, I don't think I have a clear shot of the car that hasn't been posted off of the lift without the spats. Unfortunately the rear spats are on now, and with the adhesive product used, they're on for good! The spats do provide a little different look, especially with the smooth rear, kind of reminds me of my 87 IROC gfx. But I did notice that with just the side skirts & front spoiler & vents, that the flow is still very smooth and you really don't need the rear spats, it won't look like the car's missing something. Like I mentioned in that PM to you, have 3d paint them, then you can just install yourself in an afternoon and you shouldn't have any issues with paint quality.
Thats ok, I just didnt see one with a clear shot of the side skirt. Thank you for reassuring me! I placed my order this afternoon!

I found a shop about a half hour away that is supposed to be terrific, and am going to have them do a few other things so just going to have them paint them. They have done complete restorations and the cars are amazing. Its amazing the things you learn and the people you meet when you get a sporty car!

I am excited to see your finished car!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #67
Frid

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
What an amazing car.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:52 PM   #68
Kronix

Dave that's great that you found a local paint shop, this way you're assured a correct match up. I hope 3dCarbon gave you good pricing like I mentioned. We're just finishing up my gauges, then an alignment and I'm good to start flying! Photo shoot will be next.

Thank you for the compliment Frid! I'm just trying to make a one of kind rocket ship, any help I can be please let me know!!!

Old 03-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #69
Kronix

Quote:

Quote:
How did they fill the mail slot?
Go for it!

The actual filler used was 3m plastic repair-5887 E-Z Sand Flexible.....if anyone needs any info on losing out the mailslot just let me know. Finished running the wires for A Pillar gauges & scanner lights for behind the grille. Of course yet another shipping delay with one of my last pieces, I'll leave the vendor nameless but it was not Emblempros! Or RAcnJsn with my bent plate holder.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #70
Kronix

Well today is the 2 month mark that the SS has been getting transformed, and I've been without it. But we received the last couple of things from AAC and they'll be in by tonight, so I should have the car on the streets by Friday. Of course there will be little odds & ends to do, and then I'll slowly start doing some interior mods, like a new double din head unit with either the Schoshe or Metra adaptor to replace the HVAC.

The guys at Extreme Auto Works in SLO have been busting their asses on my car & it's much appreciated!

Got my hydrocoated goodies from Emblempros to match the engine covers, and I'm replacing some of the visible front bumper bolts with stainless ones, so pics of the radiator shroud tomorrow. Once she finally sees the sun, I'll be taking a bunch of quality pics and go over all the work done.

For now some gauges & engine covers, big thanks to Angelspeedfreak for the 411 on the gauges & pod & Roger at Emblempros!
Prosport EVO Boost & Air/Fuel Gauges

Painted & Hydro-coated engine covers, I also got the Fuse box, Radiator Shroud & Rear Rain Guards done in the same pattern. Kind of like a lightning illusion look.

Thanks for watching & be back tomorrow with some completion or damn near completion pics!!

Tags
car of the week, cunningham motorsports, magnuson supercharger, pedders, zlx