Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-10-2008, 05:42 AM   #1
mega_man_01103

Drives: 2011-12 Chevy Camaro
Send a message via AIM to mega_man_01103
GM lobbies against state emission laws

GM has to deal with CAFE, now certain states want to add additional limitations. What do you guys think?

Back to Story - Help
GM: Oppose state greenhouse gas laws By TOM KRISHER, AP Auto Writer
Sat Feb 9, 9:32 PM ET

General Motors Corp. CEO Rick Wagoner urged a group of auto dealers Saturday to lobby against individual states trying to set their own limits on greenhouse gas emissions.

Wagoner, speaking to the National Automobile Dealers Association convention in San Francisco, said several states want to go beyond requirements passed by Congress.

If that happens and automakers must focus on state regulations, they won't be able to focus as much on alternative fuel vehicles to reduce oil consumption and pollution, he said.

"We're not going to be able to accomplish everything that we otherwise could," Wagoner said.

EPA Administrator Stephen L. Johnson in December denied a federal waiver that would have allowed California to enact its own law slashing greenhouse gas emissions from cars and trucks.

Other states could then have followed suit and 12 were ready to do so, with others making preparations.

Because global warming is an international phenomenon not unique to California, the state doesn't need its own standards to meet "compelling and extraordinary conditions" as set out in the law, Johnson has said.

California's law would have forced automakers to cut emissions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases by 30 percent in new cars and light trucks by 2016.

State officials contend it is stronger and would take effect more quickly than the new federal fuel efficiency law.

"We need to work together to educate policymakers at the state and local levels on the importance of tough but national standards," Wagoner told the dealers group.

He also said dealers and automakers should push for infrastructure to handle new technologies including hydrogen and ethanol fueling stations and charging stations for electric vehicles.

After the speech, Wagoner said dealers gave automakers valuable help as Congress was debating stronger fuel economy standards last year.

"Dealers are very effective in the political process because we don't have a plant in every state," he said. "We have dealers in every state."

About 10,000 auto dealers and their spouses are attending the four-day NADA convention.

Copyright © 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

Copyright © 2007 Yahoo All rights reserved.Copyright/IP Policy |Terms of Service |Help |Feedback
NOTICE: We collect personal information on this site. To learn more about how we use your information, see our» Privacy Policy

mega_man_01103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
camarocrazy28

Drives: 2013 SS
Emissions laws need to be federally mandated. I know this will ruffle the feathers of many state governments, but seperate emissions laws in every state would be a logistical nightmare for the auto industry. We already have laws in differnet states that define the compositon of the fuel we use for our cars and trucks. So called boutique fuels give the oil industry the same logistical nightmare. They spend more money manufacturing seperated fuels for different states. Guess who pays for this. We do! Everytime we fill up. And guess whose going to pay inflated automobile purchase prices if every state has it's own emissions laws. That's right, we will.
camarocrazy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
but seperate emissions laws in every state would be a logistical nightmare for the auto industry
Bingo.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Bingo.
*coughCaliforniacough*

And then they get pissed when their outrageous request gets denied.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #5
MCPOAJ

Drives: LS2 FD RX7
this would be a nightmare because if they do this and your vehicle is not "legal" in that state for emissions you would have to walk... or go around the state
MCPOAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
camarocrazy28

Good point MCPOAJ. That reminds me of when I had to register a car in California. We all know that California was the first state to have vehicle emissions laws and testing. Well, when I was in the Marine Corps I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, California. When I returned to California from Kuwait in 1992 I had to register my car in California because my Maryland registration had expired. I seem to remember that it was very expensive. My first expense was at the California DMV. In addition to registration fees of around $100, I had to pay a $300 environmental impact fee. Sorry, no exception for military personnel. Then I had to pay to have California emission installed on my Malibu. I seem to remember that this cost in the neighborhood of $200-$250. And the work had to be performed by a state certified mechanic, it wasn' t like I could save a few bucks by doing it myself. Then there was the matter of the test fee. I seem to remember that was another $100 or so. Now imagine if every state had it' s own emissions laws. Yikes!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #7
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarocrazy28 View Post
Good point MCPOAJ. That reminds me of when I had to register a car in California. We all know that California was the first state to have vehicle emissions laws and testing. Well, when I was in the Marine Corps I was stationed at Camp Pendleton, California. When I returned to California from Kuwait in 1992 I had to register my car in California because my Maryland registration had expired. I seem to remember that it was very expensive. My first expense was at the California DMV. In addition to registration fees of around $100, I had to pay a $300 environmental impact fee. Sorry, no exception for military personnel. Then I had to pay to have California emission installed on my Malibu. I seem to remember that this cost in the neighborhood of $200-$250. And the work had to be performed by a state certified mechanic, it wasn' t like I could save a few bucks by doing it myself. Then there was the matter of the test fee. I seem to remember that was another $100 or so. Now imagine if every state had it' s own emissions laws. Yikes!
That sucks that you had to pay all of that. I had to pay the same environmental impact fee when I bought a truck from out of state in 1995. They later ruled that fee was not legal and payed everyone back with interest. It was nice getting that check years later.

I just moved back here to California and I am not looking forward to registering my Blazer this week. Thankfully it has been registered here before so there shouldn't be any problems.
bouncertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:42 PM   #8
camarocrazy28

No way! I never got my check!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:26 PM   #9
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
I was still living in California at the time they came out. I remember that I had to fill out some form on the internet.
bouncertime is offline   Reply With Quote