Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-19-2017, 04:24 PM   #15
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum View Post
Did You Buy The Spare Kit For Your ZL-1? - - I To Was Wondering If It Would Clear Our Brakes
Still looking at options. That one wont fit on the front of a ZL1. So it would be a pain if a front goes out. Some guys are buying SS wheels with a small tire. That will fit in your trunk space. Either one is going to stick up a few inches and I am not thrilled about that either. The trunk is very small anyway. So I am still thinking about it. I am old school. I hate to take a road trip without a spare.

tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 05:13 PM   #16
Viczl1

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Same here. That's why I started the thread
Old 02-20-2017, 01:19 PM   #17
jsd

Drives: 2012 ZL 1 #370
Why not run flats for the 5 gen
jsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:45 PM   #18
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Here is solution for my SS - do not know if it works for ZL1 brakes.
Started with the OEM stock spare tire, jack, wrench from 2013 Camaro 1LT.
Can sometimes find the parts real cheap on ebay.

Then added a 2.5" thick adapter/spacer with 66.9 mm center bore to fit Camaro hub.

The OEM 1LT spare tire fits in the spare well in the trunk and cover panel hides it.
It also clears the SS Brembo calipers and roller skates when the adapter/spacer is on.

Was lucky I kept the spare tire/tools from my previous Camaro.
And picked up the battery plastic protective shield for cheap.
Do notice the parts on occasion for sale used at fairly low prices.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #19
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
I don't run a spare in my vettes or the Z28 and don't think twice about. Im 40... I don't think I have ever had a flat on car that had good tires. Not one that left me stuck on the side of the road. Lots of slow leaks... but never stranded. If I get got a flat... I do carry a torque wrench when out of town. I would pull the wheel off, hitch or call a cab to get to town and get a new tire. Then have the shop take me back to my car. Seems if you watch the tire sensors you should be able to limp to a gas station.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:20 AM   #20
tonyfred

Drives: 2013 ZL1-Victory Red-Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
I don't run a spare in my vettes or the Z28 and don't think twice about. Im 40... I don't think I have ever had a flat on car that had good tires. Not one that left me stuck on the side of the road. Lots of slow leaks... but never stranded. If I get got a flat... I do carry a torque wrench when out of town. I would pull the wheel off, hitch or call a cab to get to town and get a new tire. Then have the shop take me back to my car. Seems if you watch the tire sensors you should be able to limp to a gas station.
I am 60 and have had blowouts in the past. I bought a 1976 Camaro new....it came with Firestone tires. They were produced when Firestone was on strike and management worked the production facilities. Within 5000 miles all five tires (yes even the spare) had catastrophic blowouts. I had 2 blowouts on a single trip to Memphis which is only an 80 mile trip. Turns out that water had gotten into the steel belts during production. Not fun having a tire disintegrate at 70 miles per hour. And I have had other blowouts through the years.
Having said that, I have not had a blowout issue over the last 20 years or so. But that thought is always in the back of my mind on a road trip. Obviously I have had the ZL1 for 5 years with no spare and have made it just fine. But the peace of mind a spare gives me is real. Like I say, old school here.
Thanks for the input. I still havent made up my mind. I might just keep on rolling the dice.

tonyfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #21
Viczl1

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I like the solution Ron123 presented. I think the 2.5" spacer will clear the ZL1 brakes also.