Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-26-2017, 11:59 PM   #1
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
The Ranger method revisited

In the past when I had my C6, I used to swap out the dirty brake fluid in the clutch reservoir monthly per the ranger method. Just to keep the dirty fluid purged. Fast forward to my current ZL1 with with the clutch using the same brake fluid reservoir as the brakes. Yes I know there are "kits" out there to separate these two, but I would rather not. So does anyone else just swap out the fluid in the master reservoir every so often? Mine brake fluid is getting pretty dark colored.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:30 AM   #2
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
I'm also curious why you'd rather not install a separate clutch reservoir?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:47 AM   #3
Viczl1

Drives: 2019 ZL1
Both good questions......
Old 02-27-2017, 09:24 AM   #4
sengli

The main reason I dont want to install a separate reservoir kit, is the the cost. Plus the car would not be stock looking anymore either. I had one of those kits on my 1LE, and really wasnt that impressed with the way it turned out.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I just changed mine using a vacuum pump to pull the old fluid out from the reservoir. First I pump the clutch pedal several times and then pull the old fluid until the reservoir is empty (or close). Fill it up and drive it for 10 or so minutes. Then repeat until the fluid stays clear.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengli View Post
The main reason I dont want to install a separate reservoir kit, is the the cost. Plus the car would not be stock looking anymore either. I had one of those kits on my 1LE, and really wasnt that impressed with the way it turned out.
Yea, installing the small 1.5 oz reservoir really isn't worth it. I had one and replaced it with a Wilwood 4oz for same cost. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1475800689. Can go a few months between flushing using Ranger method.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #7
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by camguynj View Post
Yea, installing the small 1.5 oz reservoir really isn't worth it. I had one and replaced it with a Wilwood 4oz for same cost. http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1475800689. Can go a few months between flushing using Ranger method.
Did you order that as a kit? If so, I can't find and could use link or part number. If not, can you help a brother out with parts and numbers?
Old 02-27-2017, 06:22 PM   #8
crazydave

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
My Zl1 Fluid does not get nearly as dirty as my 10 SS fluid used to. I push the ZL1 ALOT harder at the track than i did the SS. At the end of the year, before i put it away, I just use a syringe and pull most of the fluid out of the reservoir and replace it with new. I have had zero issues with the Zl1 clutch setup, but I figure cleaning the fluid once and a while cant hurt.
Current Mods: Rotofab CAI, Big Gulp, and Res. ATI Superdamper and 10" Lower, DSX FF Sensor, DSX Aux Fuel Pump, ID850s, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, Forced Induction Interchiller, McLeod RTX Twin disk. DSX Tuned. Running on 20" MT ET Street SS on stock wheels for the strip.

Best 1/4 mile to date:10.81 @130.43 mph w/ 1.61 60'

Just added: Jokerz Stage II blower port and FI Interchillers blower lid spacer.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:37 PM   #9
sengli

If you do this mod, be sure to just get a whole new brake reservoir from GM, with out the clutch fluid tap opened on it. That little clamp and plug routine... after a couple of months started to seep brake fluid...in the photo its wet on the tip. Thats another reason I dont want to mess with this again.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:21 PM   #10
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
Did you order that as a kit? If so, I can't find and could use link or part number. If not, can you help a brother out with parts and numbers?
Glad to. You get the following from pegasusautoracing.com

4oz reservoir tank https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3558
* check with Pegasusa if the cap comes with the tank. If not you have to order it seperatlely https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=1118

Tank base https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=1111

Tank clamp https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=1132

Tank hose https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3575
* get 2' and cut to size

The billit mounting bracket is $15 and is made by camaro5 formum member slvr5thgen Send him a pm and ask him to make you the custom bracket he made for camguynj as it's different than the standard one he makes for the smaller 1.5oz "GTO" reservoir. The mounting holes are 9/32" and are 1-3/16" apart at their centers in case he didn't retain the measurements. The bracket came black so I painted it Rust Oleum Aluminum

You also need a 1/4" cap http://www.autozone.com/fittings-and...ap/375048_0_0/ and a clamp to seal off the factory reservoir clutch hose outlet.

Also make absolutely sure to get a tube of Parker SUPER O-ring lube and put a thin layer of lube on the o-ring. This is the key to prevent seepage!!! Then push the reservoir onto the base firmly (no twisting!) making sure the reservoir tank is fully seated on the base. VERY IMPORTANT make sure the top loop of the clamp is above the o-ring and the bottom loop is below the o-ring like in my pic. Tighten good but do not over tighten.

I think I covered everything. Let me know if any questions.

Last edited by camguynj; 02-28-2017 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #11
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
To get back to your original question, I also have used the Ranger method since my Z06 days. I do it also with the Camaro, and haven't had any issues yet. I don't see the need for a separate reservoir, I just keep the fluid refreshed regularly.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:17 AM   #12
camguynj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddudesrule View Post
To get back to your original question, I also have used the Ranger method since my Z06 days. I do it also with the Camaro, and haven't had any issues yet. I don't see the need for a separate reservoir, I just keep the fluid refreshed regularly.
Just curious how much fluid do you use and how many pumps do you give it with each refresh ?
Old 02-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #13
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
I remove everything I can from the reservoir with a turkey baster type thing, pour in fresh fluid (I use Motul 660), not sure exactly how much, but probably 6-8 oz's. I think work the clutch about a dozen times and repeat the process of draining and refilling. The car is not a DD, so I only do this after track sessions, or when I change the engine oil.
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:17 AM   #14
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
Been doing the fluid swap about every 2 mo. or so, bought a battery acid tester..looks like turkey baster but has smaller tube..fit in better..anyway each time the fluid would get better but never got completely clean..fast forward to about a week or so ago...I had already replaced the front pads previously so I was doing the rear and decided to finally do a complete brake fluid flush...bought a vacuum pump(Harbor Freight on sale $20) and synthetic 3/4 fluid...worked my way around the car and pulled so much nasty dirty fluid out used all 64 oz...AND HOLY CRAP...made a MAJOR improvement in brake feel and performance...and now when I check my reservoir after drivin for a WEEK...the fluid is still nice and clean...and I think the clutch is actually working a little better too....

I decided to do this since brake fluid is hydroscopic(absorbs water lol) so this exchange of relatively inexpensive brake fluid will (clean out) the lines and then I will be doing a DOT4 using Motul or similar...I just need to get a tech scanner(or somebody that has one..don't wanna lock up the brakes multiple time)to flush the ABS module...peace out....