Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-17-2009, 03:06 PM   #57
fixxxer525
Account Suspended

Drives: 01S10,01CBR600,05Ducati, 10 2SS/RS
Send a message via ICQ to fixxxer525
Wow, had to dig to find this thread. Full Carbon Fiber, yes, finally. Not some Carbon Fiber finish crap. Just need to see the complete kit including heatshield. Cus my foot is inside ADM Performance right now, I like the heat shield from ADM. But if have something crazy looking like you do for the Vette shroud. You can have my cash. Finally someone that does Carbon Fiber for the Camaro.
fixxxer525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:36 PM   #58
Halltech

Drives: 2010 Halltech Camaro SS, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixxxer525 View Post
Wow, had to dig to find this thread. Full Carbon Fiber, yes, finally. Not some Carbon Fiber finish crap. Just need to see the complete kit including heatshield. Cus my foot is inside ADM Performance right now, I like the heat shield from ADM. But if have something crazy looking like you do for the Vette shroud. You can have my cash. Finally someone that does Carbon Fiber for the Camaro.
The shield will not be carbon fiber. The mold would be excessive, and the part around $400. While it might be cool, it makes no sense to end up with an intake near $1000 for the Camaro. Here's why. We might sell two. It would make more sense to make this part in poly, and let folks add real heat shielding to the shroud to keep IATs at a minimum. Our prototype shield kept intake air temps at around 4 to 6 degrees of ambient outside temps.

Our dyno done Tuesday:

Note we also included an overlay of a dyno done on another Camaro at this facility earlier this month. That Camaro SS had an aluminum CAI, full length headers, high flow cats, and cat backs. Neither there car, nor ours had programming. Truth be told, we tried programming our car, and actually saw no appreciable difference in power. That is a first for Halltech. Even going from 12.3:1 to 13:1, zero increase in power.

Full disclosure: Our car was delivered from the dealer with GM HP mufflers, but the entire exhaust system is stock except for the mufflers.

Our dyno vs. bone stock (except for mufflers) vs the Halltech Carbon Fiber Yellow Jacket (no optional MAF), vs another Camaro with a competitor's CAI, long tube headers, high flow cats, and cat backs. Notice we are within 2 to 3 RWHP and torque of this Camaro (dynoed at the same shop earlier this month) with JUST our Carbon Fiber Yellow Jacket (no optional MAF and no tuning)
Halltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #59
Halltech

Drives: 2010 Halltech Camaro SS, 2008 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post
Jim puts the time into the R&D, which you don't find out of many of the other products available! engineering my friends, not just 1st to market

Regards
Thanks Brandon. We could have already had our plastic version on the market by now, but we started our carbon fiber molds first, knowing that the 8 lb intake from the factory was concerned more about intake sound concerns rather than weight and power.

I expect to see a few dozen companies making intakes for the Camaros since it closely resembles many other intakes already on the market, making it pretty easy to do. The key, however, is keeping long term fuel trims near baseline, so lean codes stay away and open loop air fuel ratios come in slightly leaner (ours was 12.3:1 without tuning). Frankly, our optional 102mm MAF housing makes that task impossible, requiring programming, which is why we offer it for those already programming their car for cams, etc.

Otherwise, the Carbon Fiber Yellow Jacket™ unit will look much like a one piece carbon fiber elbow and tube and when ordered will not need reprogramming at all. That is how we dynoed it.

Just for informational sake. To make these units in carbon fiber cost us 7 to 8 times more than plastic, yet they are maybe $150. more in cost.

One nice thing is the folks that bring us the C6.R, C6.RS,Halltech Z06 carbon Killer Bee™ and GT-2 Corvette Race Team body parts, make all of our Camaro carbon parts. They also make all of Katech's spliters, wings, and other Aero parts. No carbon fiber shop does nicer or more expensive work.

This is our CAD drawing of the cross-link poly unit due out next month. Same filter, same heat shield, dyno numbers are exactly the same as our carbon fiber unit *

*No reprogramming necessary for either system. Our 102mm MAF housing is available only with the Carbon Fiber unit, and does require reprogramming the MAF airflow tables +16%

Jim Hall

Last edited by Halltech; 10-18-2009 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Added picture
Halltech is offline   Reply With Quote