Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #15
Kylelein

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
Is the understeer from maintaining the stock front tire size of the 285? When I bought my MPSS (not installed yet) I upsized both front and rear for various reasons. Do you think I'll get understeer running 295s in front and 315s in the rear???
I think you would. It's not about ur front loosing traction that type of understeer it's like ur turning radius is changed a lot by having too much grip in the rear in high speed conering. You can drift it through but it's risky. Just me 2 cent
Kylelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:33 PM   #16
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
Thanks Kylelein, still learning about my car and car performance in general.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #17
Kylelein

Hey no problem! I'm the same as you trying to mess around and know my car better. One guy posted inanother thread said
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPR View Post
I think I talked about it abit on another post. but basically, 295 squared set up does make the car rotate much easier. You get a neutral feel instead of the mid corner understeer you get with the stock goodyear 285/315. All tire choices I think is driver preference. if your driving style is power drift out of exits and comfortable with balancing the car while in mid corner then square set up does the job for you. maybe that's why GM puts the 285 for the 1LE and the 305 for the Z/28.
The power train in our zl1 is different from the nautdally aspirated v8 so I would like to see what's a good combination for ours. Like Stephen12ZL1 said earlier the less understeer the better
Old 02-22-2017, 01:30 PM   #18
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I only do road course out here in the west!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:56 PM   #19
Kylelein

Niceeeee man! What horse power are pushing?
Old 02-22-2017, 03:25 PM   #20
Enough Already

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1-M6
A little OT but I went with the MPSS and love them. Not really a road racer but they hook up solid every time and I am no longer afraid to hit it in 2nd making a turn. I went with 315s in the rear and went back and forth on the 295s or 285s up front. Both fit. Ultimately went with the 295s but even with rock guards, the front of my rear quarters are really getting sandblasted. I should probably get it fixed and put on some clear tape but next time I will definitely go with the 285s up front.
Enough Already is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:56 PM   #21
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
I'm running Ted's 125rwhp kit so according to his results somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 to the rear wheels. It's a blast to drive on the road courses!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #22
Kylelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough Already View Post
A little OT but I went with the MPSS and love them. Not really a road racer but they hook up solid every time and I am no longer afraid to hit it in 2nd making a turn. I went with 315s in the rear and went back and forth on the 295s or 285s up front. Both fit. Ultimately went with the 295s but even with rock guards, the front of my rear quarters are really getting sandblasted. I should probably get it fixed and put on some clear tape but next time I will definitely go with the 285s up front.
Stick with 285 in the front then? Have u tried 295 in the rear at all?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:30 PM   #23
Kylelein

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
I'm running Ted's 125rwhp kit so according to his results somewhere in the neighborhood of 600 to the rear wheels. It's a blast to drive on the road courses!
Hahaha that's dope! I've only got a rotofab CAI and bypass valve adjusted
Old 02-22-2017, 11:44 PM   #24
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylelein View Post
I think you would. It's not about ur front loosing traction that type of understeer it's like ur turning radius is changed a lot by having too much grip in the rear in high speed conering. You can drift it through but it's risky. Just me 2 cent
Maybe change the rear sway bar bushings to stiffer polyurethane and that would counter the understeer induced by larger rear tires.
I have used different sway bar bushings to tune suspension also. Sometimes mixing poly front with rubber rear etc.
You can also change understeer and oversteer with alignment. Add camber rear and less camber front. Or more camber front and less camber rear.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:22 AM   #25
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylelein View Post
Do you not feel understeer when you are in a high speed corner of a road course?
No, there isn't any understeer. If anything, I think the car feels more balanced. The tires have excellent lateral grip. I do a lot of back road running and there has been only one time I ever lost traction in the back through a corner, and it was because I was going WAY too fast for the corner. The car did its traction magic and it came back under control easily. 295s will hit in the front, don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
My driving is approx 30% back roads, 20% city, 50% freeway and I get the 20-30k miles out of them.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:47 AM   #26
winterboy8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroom View Post
No, there isn't any understeer. If anything, I think the car feels more balanced. The tires have excellent lateral grip. I do a lot of back road running and there has been only one time I ever lost traction in the back through a corner, and it was because I was going WAY too fast for the corner. The car did its traction magic and it came back under control easily. 295s will hit in the front, don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
My driving is approx 30% back roads, 20% city, 50% freeway and I get the 20-30k miles out of them.
OK, so I have heard 315s will hit and won't hit. This is the first I've heard of the 295s hitting up front. Do you have front end mods or lowered?
Old 02-23-2017, 07:00 AM   #27
Kylelein

Yea I've heard of 295 in the front hit too. 315 is hit or not hit lol! Anyway I've ordered 295 for the rear and I'm gonna test it out!
Old 02-23-2017, 08:49 AM   #28
winterboy8

Argh, this sucks. So I already have a set of MPSS in my posession and now I have to worry about both the front and rear hitting?